Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 10:29   #16

Re: Oriental NC

Wow, that is one neglected looking boat. And, says a lot that you have to be forced to leave an anchorage...geez.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 11:07   #17

I am at a complete loss as to how anyone could defend that boat and it's crew.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 11:47   #18

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Re: Oriental NC

This thing in Oriental has many facets:
  1. The poor French crew and their disabled boat from Hurricane Sandy creates some sympathy.
  2. The derelict boat build-up in Oriental in general.
  3. The French crew panhandling, stealing, and defrauding people in the town. And the argument that they had no other choice (I don't buy that argument).
  4. The owner of the pink boat on this forum who swears he is planning to depart any day, but either the water is too high or someone did not properly ask him with correct diction and grammar.
  5. The pathetically passive outgoing town council, voted out of their seats by a frustrated populace.
I myself keep my boat in Oriental and am mostly bothered by just the lack of just common courtesy and the selfishness of the anchoring boaters.

I don't run a business in town, but I like to buy hardware and supplies for my boat and a beer or two there, occasionally a meal. But if I did own or run a business there, I would be disgusted at the selfish people abusing the anchorage. So my sympathies are with the hard-working people trying to make an honest living in a small coastal town whose livelihood is being compromised by the stubborn derelict owners.

Hopefully my rant is not too tedious.

Sorry if it is...
Sand Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 14:13   #19

Boat: PETERSON 44
I try to keep a low profile while cruising. I am a guest somewhere when I anchor. Try to leave a place better then when I arrived (trash removal usually from land folk).
Could you explain the offense you see when describing anchored boats. Perhaps that would help us all avoid that perception. This case sounds unusual. In that the vessel was engaged in behavior that is not the norm where I sail.
Thanks
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 18:41   #20

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Could you explain the offense you see when describing anchored boats. Perhaps that would help us all avoid that perception. This case sounds unusual. In that the vessel was engaged in behavior that is not the norm where I sail.
Thanks
Unusual because anchorage holds about six boats and four of them - now 3 as of last week - have been there for several months, preventing visiting cruisers along the ICW from visiting the town. The remaining three boats are either unoccupied or in poor shape. The French boat just towed out was the worst. Read the article link at the beginning of the thread...
Sand Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 03:13   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr
Great article. Thanks for sharing. Tough decisions to be made.
woodymr is offline   Reply With Quote