Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 00:29   #31
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Living Aboard and Wishing Otherwise ... Just Me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Fred View Post
I could go on for thousands of words, but to be succinct, I will share a few thoughts about it all. Nothing stays the same. When I was a kid I drove across country on the only trans USA highway, US 40 the Lincoln Highway. Every town was unique, every restuarant was unique, every sight was unique, all the girls were beautiful and trim. My car was simple and easy to fix. Just an engine with a hole in it where the air and gas mixture went in and the exhaust put-putted out the tail pipe forever. When I started living aboard in the early 70's, it was all very simple and unique. Harbors had few marinas and few rules. Destinations and islands had small populations and were unique and beautiful. Wildlife, including seafood, abounded..
Ive been here mostly in the Greek Islands going on 5 years now and its still very much as what you said it used to be like ,Im thankful and still feel like a kid-each morning to be here and to be able to live like this, is wonderful- its still like this in many of the islands- (over 800 islands) I live onboard 7 months a year then back home 5 months-it would get old real fast if I was not traveling island to island , country to country- if i was tied to a dock , id sell the boat right away
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:06   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Old guys like me have been remembering the "good old days" over all time. During the eighteeth century they were lamenting that you could no longer safely take the carriage to Bath without encountering highwaymen. Here, in Baltimore, the pastoral shores were cluttered with the construction of clipper ships. Yes, things change and I can no longer find that ten cents per foot transient rate that was common when I first moved aboard. These will be the "good old days" for those now discovering the joys of living aboard.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24   #33

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Remember the Good'ol-days, when gas was only $4.00 a gallon? Heck, we could fill up for only $300 and have enough to last all summer! And a good steak at a good restaurant would only set you back a measly $25~$30 bucks. Won't see them prices again! Ya, back then I was weaker, too. I needed a cart to carry $1000 worth of groceries, now I can lift it in one hand. I guess that $15,000 a week pay check just doesn't go as far as it used to.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:45   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
. These will be the "good old days" for those now discovering the joys of living aboard.
Thats a very good point.

Also I think its an attitude that we have our eyes wide open early on; but later we can fall into 'mistakes' that close our eyes or jjade us.

I never go back to places, really, as I have been on one long trip, but now I am bumping into some ports I've been to before. Yes, they've changed.
Everything changes.
But its important to 'relish' the changes even if its difficult to do so. To find the beauty in a place that seems distroyed since the first visit (Though it must be hard for those that visitied the BVI's prior to all those blasted mooring balls!).

Its also difficult with friends we make. Early on when its all so exciting we make faster, deeper friendships. Have the people changed? Or are our eyes not as open?

The cruising lifestyle can bog down and we can be in a rut as much as being at work at home. Some boats here have spent every summer here for years. The 'territory' is marked out "We were anchored 50 yards over there in 2004, a much better spot." God, how boring!

These are the "Good 'Ol Days" but its up to us to make them so.

For those that have been cruising for a long time and feel its time to move on to other adventures, do it! Cruising isn't the be all and end all for most of us. When you've had your time afloat then a change may be just what you need to spark the excitement of life again.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:39   #35

Boat: Dolphin 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Thats a very good point.

Also I think its an attitude that we have our eyes wide open early on; but later we can fall into 'mistakes' that close our eyes or jjade us.

I never go back to places, really, as I have been on one long trip, but now I am bumping into some ports I've been to before. Yes, they've changed.
Everything changes.
But its important to 'relish' the changes even if its difficult to do so. To find the beauty in a place that seems distroyed since the first visit (Though it must be hard for those that visitied the BVI's prior to all those blasted mooring balls!).

Its also difficult with friends we make. Early on when its all so exciting we make faster, deeper friendships. Have the people changed? Or are our eyes not as open?

The cruising lifestyle can bog down and we can be in a rut as much as being at work at home. Some boats here have spent every summer here for years. The 'territory' is marked out "We were anchored 50 yards over there in 2004, a much better spot." God, how boring!

For those that have been cruising for a long time and feel its time to move on to other adventures, do it! Cruising isn't the be all and end all for most of us. When you've had your time afloat then a change may be just what you need to spark the excitement of life again.

Lots of good comments in this thread and MarkJ's observations resonate with me. It often comes down to how you/we perceive things in life.

Also, those differences in perspective are for me what makes individuals interesting and unique.
Old 04-07-2011, 15:16   #36

Boat: Downeast 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifegoal2sail View Post
Not to belittle you, but man you sound more like you just got divorced lol.
I think the good thing about people like me is that I've never seen what you have so I don't know what I'm missing. But I can relate. I use to live in the country and from 11yrs old worked as a ranch hand. No one hauls hay anymore. They all use round bails. There are no more small working ranches for kids like my son to work on and grow on. I learned alot about life doing that. So I can see your point. But I have a house. I have a great job, I even bought another jeep to build. But I still feel like life is dull. There's no pizazz any more. It's like I've been there done that. Been married twice, blew more money then I'll ever make again. And what's left? No all I want is to slow down. Chill out and sit back with some good music a drink and a good breeze.
I did just that. I have owned boats, power and sail, from 14 years old. I would spend every weekend on my boat when I lived and worked in the SF bay area. I retired early at 61, sold everything, house, truck, travel trailer and moved onto my sail boat. Everything I own in on here. I ride a mountain bike to go shopping and sight seeing. I am presently in a marina in Ensenada BC Mexico, been here 9 months, November 1 heading to the Sea of Cortez. I don't think that I will ever give up the live aboard life style and cruising.
agrainofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 15:48   #37

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Thats a very good point.

Everything changes.

Go wash your mouth out, kid!!!

But the rest of this post is really good

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 15:52   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Remember the Good'ol-days, when gas was only $4.00 a gallon? Heck, we could fill up for only $300 and have enough to last all summer! And a good steak at a good restaurant would only set you back a measly $25~$30 bucks. Won't see them prices again! Ya, back then I was weaker, too. I needed a cart to carry $1000 worth of groceries, now I can lift it in one hand. I guess that $15,000 a week pay check just doesn't go as far as it used to.
Hell Don... would you believe there used to be people who claimed they could live on a boat and get by on $500 a month???

Old 04-07-2011, 15:59   #39

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Hell Don... would you believe there used to be people who claimed they could live on a boat and get by on $500 a month???

I had to raise my allotment to $550 a month but it still works.

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 16:13   #40

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Quote:
HEY! I seriously want to believe that factoid. I really really wanted to be believe that.... Now you are kicking sand on my dreams... Shame on you!!
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 16:18   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
HEY! I seriously want to believe that factoid. I really really want to be believe that.... Now you are kicking sand on my dreams... Shame on you!!

You must read my post in the context of Don's tongue in cheek!

Hell, I'm counting on having change from my $500

Old 05-07-2011, 04:30   #42

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Bet they wanted to stay in a marina all the time, too!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:59   #43
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Back to the O.P. Living on a boat is a dream for many, and traveling. Many realize sooner, or later it's not for them. For most people it's cramped, and rolly. There are too many inconveniences. Like taking a shower in the marina, taking the boat to the pump out, not enough room for my stuff.

I use to live on top of Knob Hill in S.F. in a 2 bedroom apartment. A view that covered the bay, and looked straight into the Transamerica building. I pressed my clothes, and took the cable car to work, and home, or walked. I had 30 coats & jackets.

I divorced, and moved onto the boat, a 30ftr. I started wearing sweaters, and jeans again. I was a wee bet disheveled compared to my previous life. It took some adjusting walking up to the marina office for showers in the rainy season. I kept a small closet in my office for a few nicer clothes, but my life was extremely simplified. I now had to commute across the Bay Bridge to get to work, but I left earlier to avoid heavier traffic.

It's not the life for everyone. You have to make some adjustments to the reduced space. I can imagine for some it feels like a prison cell. I sailed the weekends, and evenings after work. The boat was always ready to sail by just slipping the lines. Everything had a place, and was in it's place.

Maybe you need a bigger boat? Maybe you need to sail it often? Maybe the lifestyle is not for you? It's not a crime to disllike a neighborhood, and just move. We all get through life differently. Some people would love to be in your position, but it's okay if you don't like it........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:33   #44

Boat: Mason 43

For me, the liveaboard doldrums could always be cured by change. Be it another location, work or something else. I am transitioning into another go round with living aboard as I plan my next sailaway, that's how I cure my landlubber doldrums...
HopeFloats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:34   #45
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Remember life is a roller coaster enjoy the highs bear the lows. I really couldnt see myself ever taking up the land life again. Neighbors you must tolerate, surprise $5k road assessments, neverending bills that require most of your time to just keep up with vehicle costs stress stress stress stress. $500 a month suits me fine. It requires time though. Im currently sitting for at least 3 days waiting on favorable winds for the next 75 mile leg east to miami. Bored, no ecstatic. time for new lights in galley, bottom scrape, work on replacing canvas etc...I can see how for those not mechnically inclined it would be tough. Being dependant on others for repairs brings on that nagging stress akin to steady bills.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard