Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2012, 00:21   #1

Boat: Oyster 45
How Easy or Difficult Was the First Year Aboard?

Well after years of dreaming we bought our boat and have now been living aboard for over a year and have settled into the cruising life pretty well.

Having said that the first year had its ups and downs. (see our blog)
Sailing Cygnus III around the world

Changing your whole life style, getting used to life aboard, getting used to being in continual close contact with others. They all took some adjusting too but now we think we are about there....

The first year is all about learning and I don't know if others had problems initially or not.

My wife had a real bad blip six months in to the point we very nearly gave it all up. The kids had a couple of ups and downs and we were spending way to much of our savings.

After a year we seem to learn how to budget a little better by anchoring and what foods are cheaper. You don't use the same ammount of money to keep yourselves amused and you grow into the life more.

I don't think others trying this life may realise what a big adjustment it is and there may well be ups and downs but hang in there... as they say, life only gets better.

Now none of us can think of any other way of living and we love it. Yes you do miss friends and family occasionally but the rewards are much greater. We sat there the other day looking at our surroundings and we all agreed we were the luckiest people in the world.

Did you have problems in the first year and did you find it does take some adjustment or was it easy?

Did you find life easier after the first year?

I would be intrested in hearing your views.
Old 28-04-2012, 04:46   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: How easy or difficult was the first year aboard?

I've always heard that the first year was the hardest. Between the change of lifestyle and the rush to "get out there and go places" I bet it is true. Couple more years and I'll hopefully find out.
Old 28-04-2012, 08:38   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Everyone who is newly married and fresh out of college is "changing their lifestyle". Our first year living aboard came early and when all we owned could fit in our small car; therefore, there wasn't much adapting that was exclusively about living on the boat. It was an adventure and sometimes a challenge, but it came easy! There's no downsizing if you never had anything to begin with.
Old 28-04-2012, 09:26   #4
STG

Boat: Coronado 35

I’ve just moved past the one year mark too. I had a lot of anxiety at first, wondering if I would regret the decision, but as this is something I’ve wanted to do for many years, I was also pretty excited to see if I was right. I had to do a huge downsize from a very large house, and decades of being a pack rat. I was worried I’d miss all of my stuff. Didn’t happen. I am certain now that I made the right decision.

The hardest part of the whole “adjustment” period is having to learn how to reprioritize and getting the boat to the point that it is comfortable for you. I.e. mine was damp, smelly, uncomfortable, etc. But you learn about dehumidifiers, heat, how to remove the smells, etc. and by the time you’ve completed a year, you’ve likely fixed the things you can, or learned to live with the things you can’t. At least that is true in my case.
STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 20:06   #5

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
My wife had a real bad blip six months in to the point we very nearly gave it all up. The kids had a couple of ups and downs and we were spending way to much of our savings.

Hi, you have a great blog... perhaps I can read a bit more about your adventure soon... but in the mean time would you mind sharing what it was that caused the most heartburn in that first year... the new show stoppers...

Thanks for sharing and best of luck...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 20:17   #6

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

I just logged on to CF to find some good sailing reading...so looking forward to spending some time perusing your blog!

I can't wait to be at the year mark to be able to add to this post. But today I was thinking about adjustments...we plan on moving aboard a boat in a couple of years. Things like making a big salad today...how much water did I use rinsing the letter and washing off the cutting board, etc. Lounging on the recliner in rare off times won't be an option either. I'm looking forward to reading your blog!
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 20:54   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Everyone who is newly married and fresh out of college is "changing their lifestyle". Our first year living aboard came early and when all we owned could fit in our small car; therefore, there wasn't much adapting that was exclusively about living on the boat. It was an adventure and sometimes a challenge, but it came easy! There's no downsizing if you never had anything to begin with.
Right on!
That's the way it was for me back in the late 70's. Now I have soooo much junk. And now with the economy....... I can't even sell the good stuff. But living aboard now will only be a part time/seasonal thing, with the woman and all. But living aboard in Mission Bay was a great adventure while it lasted.
Old 28-04-2012, 21:07   #8

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Well after years of dreaming we bought our boat and have now been living aboard for over a year and have settled into the cruising life pretty well.

Having said that the first year had its ups and downs. (see our blog)
Sailing Cygnus III around the world

Changing your whole life style, getting used to life aboard, getting used to being in continual close contact with others. They all took some adjusting too but now we think we are about there....

The first year is all about learning and I don't know if others had problems initially or not.

After a year we seem to learn how to budget a little better by anchoring and what foods are cheaper. You don't use the same ammount of money to keep yourselves amused and you grow into the life more.

I don't think others trying this life may realise what a big adjustment it is and there may well be ups and downs but hang in there... as they say, life only gets better.

Now none of us can think of any other way of living and we love it. Yes you do miss friends and family occasionally but the rewards are much greater. We sat there the other day looking at our surroundings and we all agreed we were the luckiest people in the world.

Did you have problems in the first year and did you find it does take some adjustment or was it easy?

Did you find life easier after the first year?

I would be intrested in hearing your views.
REALLY enjoying your blog! Good humor! Sounds like it's been eventful so far... please keep updating!
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 22:51   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I moved aboard our catamaran only four months before we sailed from Florida to New Zealand. There was no turning back. There was only sailing to the west. That made the adjustment easier in the first year. Also we never stayed in marinas which helped keep the expenses down. We also ate the same food the locals ate which meant our meals were affordable.

Once we got out in the trade winds in the Pacific, it was easier to just keep heading west. There were no thoughts of turning around.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 00:09   #10

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
Hi, you have a great blog... perhaps I can read a bit more about your adventure soon... but in the mean time would you mind sharing what it was that caused the most heartburn in that first year... the new show stoppers...

Thanks for sharing and best of luck...

Cheers
Thank you for the replies and the comment on the blog.

Myself and the boys adapted quiet quickly to this way of life although looking back we were not as settled then as we are now.
It was my wife who had the problems. She gave up her house, possessions, two jobs and lots of friends and family to move aboard and had trouble relaxing initially. She was so busy before that slowing down was a real problem and she missed everyone. Being in a country where they did not speak English and we were struggling with their language also created a barrier to meeting other people.
At Christmas her and the boys flew home for a month. It was only then she realised just how much she actually missed the life we had aboard.
She came back a completely new person and has not looked back since.
She has got money so if she feels the need to fly back for a break she can but she no longer feels the need. She has adapted to the life and now it is her who will no longer give a time scale to our adventures and says that should we ever put down roots again it will not be in a house but on board a boat.
We now often just sit and look at the wonderful places we are and realise we are amongst the luckiest people in the world.
I know how lucky I am to have her but I also know just how close we were to giving it all up.. we had at one time planed the route back.
Old 29-04-2012, 00:18   #11

We've been living aboard and cruising for just on two years now, the first year was great, second year just as good.

We sometimes visit friends who live in houses, and really couldn't see ourselves going back to that. Not for quite a while, anyway.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 16:01   #12

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Coming up on my first year anniversary. It's been a learning curve to say the least.
I have had to get used to halyards clanging all night because lazy boat owners don't or won't tighten them. A Rolling bed on windy nights and power boaters coming past me to fast. A lot less space for myself to live in. A marina shower that doesn't have enough hot water at times. Constantly checking dock lines and power cord connections. Finding and fixing leaks when it rains. Up early and home late. Learning what to buy while using a two burner stove and learning one pot meals. Having to buy vegi's that won't go bad because What's a fridge? Going through my cloths and keeping the good stuff getting rid of the other because I have to downsize. Always and I mean always asking do I really need that. What's counter space?
And still trying to get the old girl into shape at the same time.
Wouldn't trade the last year for all the tea in China!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02   #13

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by STG View Post
The hardest part of the whole “adjustment” period is having to learn how to reprioritize and getting the boat to the point that it is comfortable for you. I.e. mine was damp, smelly, uncomfortable, etc. But you learn about dehumidifiers, heat, how to remove the smells, etc. and by the time you’ve completed a year, you’ve likely fixed the things you can, or learned to live with the things you can’t. At least that is true in my case.
I really found this to be true for me as well. The move itself wasn't an issue. I just went from a small place on land to a smaller place on the boat at dock. It was fixing things up and learning the new systems which was the adjustment.

After 2.5 years in I'm pretty comfortable on board, it's now just a matter of adding things here and learning about the long term upkeep issues.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10   #14

For us, first year of full-time cruising was mostly about adjusting our expectations of sailing away into the sunrise. Instead it turned out to be a 24-7 boat, weather, routing management in addition to adjusting to a smaller space. And those gorgeous BVI sailing days while chartering described in the sailing magazines? They exist only when chartering a boat in the BVIs...

Also, in terms of me adjusting to the boat, I was constantly sea-sick for the first 3 months. Only then I identified it as fear of unknown (not knowing how the boat would react). Once I started putting in an honest effort of learning about the boat [and lived through a few storms, it became better.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:32   #15

Boat: 1977 42' Mapleleaf

Our first year of cruising (Pacific) was an adventure. We found we motor a LOT more than ever expected, fuel cost continue to rise. The Cruising Community is wonderful, full of great help, and we've met some wonderful life-long friends sailing. Yes, there are the sunsets so beautiful they almost hurt your eyes, the 5 O'clock "Sundowners" and potlucks aboard many other boats, and the warm water activities (Snorkeling, diving, Sailing, swimming, etc...). But, there are those days when the head breaks, the motor won't start, you need a part and it's going to cost more to ship the part then the part is worth, etc... Is is worth it? YES!!! ABSOLUTELY!!
The Weather conditions are always the talk among cruisers. Yes, there will be storms that you simply cannot outrun (lightening is always exciting!), rain squalls so hard you could fill a 5 gallon bucket in minutes (and find leaks you NEVER dreamed of!) Is it worth it? Yes.
My wife and I couldn't imagine anyother lifesyle as nice. Currently we have a million dollar view here in Panana City, Panama each night ...for FREE! Free anchorage!! And a cruising area with tropic islands you dream of. Currently we are preparing to cross the Panama Canal and cruise the Caribbean side and later explore Columbia.
You cant do these things tied to the dock, trust me...its a wonderful, adventure filled, and exciting way of life.
Here's our blog if you wish to check it out WINDFALL

See you "Out here" someday soon!