Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 10:53   #16

Boat: islandpacket
Re: I'm almost there! My offer was accepted...

Congratulations. Be there for the survey and don't let him tell you he already checked it just before you got there. Be right over his/her shoulder, take notes ask questions. If you dont see it don't believe it. Be open minded that this may not be the one.
I would have a separate electronics tech check out the systems and wiring and a yanmar tech check out the motors. I know this adds cost but can save money.
I helped a guy move his new to him newish boat the surveyor said he just needed to have his back lighting fixed on his 3 large chart plotters so the credited him 5k off the boat. After a few days he called a tech and was told yes he could fix the back lighting but would be over half the price of new and he would still have junk. That all the electronics were dated and really junk and he should call his insurance and clam a lightning strike, as thats what caused it. Replacement would only be 25-30k. If you still want it use every fault to negotiate price. Also please don't just take off to go north. Spend a few days or a week to just cruse hard around an area to really check things out. Don't get yourself in a bind trying to learn new systems on the fly and possibly break down in between good ports for service. Best of luck and enjoy
Old 05-04-2016, 11:13   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No, No, do like I did, take off and discover the chip in the plotter is only good for the first 20 miles of your 400 mile trip, and day one the engine shuts down due to fuel starvation from something in the tank that looked like Tofu
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 13:14   #18

Boat: Moody 47

If you follow this link it will walk you through the proper sequence to change a vessel's name. Don't mess with the Gods of the sea!

http://www.boatinghowto.com/content/...tion-lore-286/
Old 07-04-2016, 18:41   #19

Boat: Future FP

Scott, hope it all goes well. Keep us posted. Love Wilmington.
Livelifeday2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:23   #20

Boat: 45

Flight at 1600 today. I've got my regular camera and a snake video camera to look underneath, behind, and/or in holes.

Any suggestions on my look-see or specific problem areas to pay attention to on a 2000 R&C45?

Thanks for all the love, good wished, and comments. It's been a LOOONG time coming and I can't wait. I hope this is the one but as I have learned: money does not grow on trees but boat deals do.

Peace to all.
Scott
BothFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 18:23   #21

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Renaming a boat is simple.
Care is required when Denaming a boat.
Google John Vigor's Interdenominational Denaming Ceremony for the
proper methodology.
Old 08-04-2016, 18:47   #22

Surveys for big boats take a long time. Everyone get's tired and the surveyor is only hired for so many hours. So tell the surveyor you don't want to spend time checking little things like light bulbs. Focus on big stuff.

A good surveyor will also know in 30 minutes if you should "run". So ask him then. No need to pay him to write up a long report.

Have the broker sit out of earshot. The surveyor can be more open without the broker (who's worried about his commission) glaring at him.

Remember, if you buy the boat your insurance company will want to see the survey. They will make you prove that you fixed everything in the written report. Most surveyors are glad to tell you things you should keep an eye on without putting it in the report.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 19:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think it is bad luck to keep some stupid name someone else used (like the name of their mom or wife).

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:51   #24

No broker. Surveyor hired. He's scheduling haul out. Will do sea trial and everything same day. Current owner will captain and the surveyor and I will climb all over, run her, etc. Tentative for next Thursday. I spent the morning on her with a flashlight looking in every single space. Lots of them! Damn. But current owner has been meticulous with cleaning, maintenance, everything is truly ship shape/ Bristol! I've looked at over a dozen other boats in the last six months. She's exactly as I would have done it all myself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-04-2016, 13:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BothFeet View Post
No broker. Surveyor hired. He's scheduling haul out. Will do sea trial and everything same day. Current owner will captain and the surveyor and I will climb all over, run her, etc. Tentative for next Thursday. I spent the morning on her with a flashlight looking in every single space. Lots of them! Damn. But current owner has been meticulous with cleaning, maintenance, everything is truly ship shape/ Bristol! I've looked at over a dozen other boats in the last six months. She's exactly as I would have done it all myself.

Congrats ! Enjoy every bit of it as it will be in your memory bank forever.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 13:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Surveys for big boats take a long time. Everyone get's tired and the surveyor is only hired for so many hours. So tell the surveyor you don't want to spend time checking little things like light bulbs. Focus on big stuff.

A good surveyor will also know in 30 minutes if you should "run". So ask him then. No need to pay him to write up a long report.

Have the broker sit out of earshot. The surveyor can be more open without the broker (who's worried about his commission) glaring at him.

Remember, if you buy the boat your insurance company will want to see the survey. They will make you prove that you fixed everything in the written report. Most surveyors are glad to tell you things you should keep an eye on without putting it in the report.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 20:27   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Hmmm...you're separated for 5 months but no final divorce? Be careful.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 00:59   #28

North Carolina law says you have to be separated forma year. No worries though. All legal, clean, and separate.

Tags
offer