Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2016, 22:30   #76

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
This thread brings up a question. Money...wives....husbands....duty...choices....loo k, all in all is a sailor better off being single or married?
In Finland we have a thing called "widow pension" so in case you get perilled while sailing the wifey and kids get your earned pension (anyway )
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 00:21   #77

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
If you havent seen the news on Trump, maybe you should. Im actually relucant to discuss his ideas as my comments are now public record. I dont know when they might come back to bite me. Paranoid, no, increasinly distrustful of our "free" society, yes!
Trumps not the problem, the real problem is those people who "want to look after you" and from the viewpoint of the great south land Donald, whilst he might have other problems, does not appear to be one of them.

As a general principal and with a fairly extensive life behind me I find that
unless a bureaucrat (both public and private sector) actually demands a piece of information from you one is better to leave them in ignorance.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 01:18   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I have a very small private UK pension... every three or four years I get a letter.... just making sure I am still alive...
Must be a UK thing. I've been retired and receiving U.S. pension for past 6 years and they haven't asked me if I dead or not. And ,if I do die, I'm not telling them a thing.
Taichungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 05:19   #79

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taichungman View Post
Must be a UK thing. I've been retired and receiving U.S. pension for past 6 years and they haven't asked me if I dead or not. And ,if I do die, I'm not telling them a thing.
Maybe its a 'probability' thing and they only start sending them out when they think you should be dead..... I've been getting them for some time now
Old 14-06-2016, 20:08   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Trumps not the problem, the real problem is those people who "want to look after you" and from the viewpoint of the great south land Donald, whilst he might have other problems, does not appear to be one of them.

As a general principal and with a fairly extensive life behind me I find that
unless a bureaucrat (both public and private sector) actually demands a piece of information from you one is better to leave them in ignorance.
Right. 1984. Oh yeah, i'll look after you, alright. The entirety of your post brings up a point.

I didnt have trouble with SSA until I saw two questions on the application, 1) are you married 2) have you ever worked abroad? I paused because the questions seemed personal and outside my work record. I asked in another forum, how to answer? Example, if a person marries a foreigner while abroad, should he just leave her out of this? The raining consensus was to always tell the truth.

Nazis in interrogations said, there is nothing to worry about if you tell the truth. Then they promptly shot the victim after getting the truth. I wish I never knew that because it seems to apply to so many things today. Saying something, giving info, its not for help, its not an honest question, its to weigh in the other persons mind whether or not they get to plug you with a .45.

Tell me im wrong. Tell me im paranoid so I can sleep better tonight.
CharlesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 20:10   #81

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Right. 1984. Oh yeah, i'll look after you, alright. The entirety of your post brings up a point.

I didnt have trouble with SSA until I saw two questions on the application, 1) are you married 2) have you ever worked abroad? I paused because the questions seemed personal and outside my work record. I asked in another forum, how to answer? Example, if a person marries a foreigner while abroad, should he just leave her out of this? The raining consensus was to always tell the truth.

Nazis in interrogations said, there is nothing to worry about if you tell the truth. Then they promptly shot the victim after getting the truth. I wish I never knew that because it seems to apply to so many things today. Saying something, giving info, its not for help, its not an honest question, its to weigh in the other persons mind whether or not they get to plug you with a .45.

Yes Charles, your being paranoid.. take a pill and get some sleep.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 20:42   #82

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:

Paranoia in relation to bureaucrats is not a mental problem it is a defensive mechanism.

There are truths and truths and much of the outcome depends upon where you put the emphasis. Bill Clinton was the expert at this. When accused of smoking pot he said yes he had but he did not inhale. This could be taken that whilst he was ready to conform with his peers he was not actually a dope addict. When it was a sex scandal he said I did not have sexual relations with that woman. You can put a number of interpretations to this statement - it was not a relationship, it was a one off for example - politicians do this all the time.

Avoid them and if you cannot, obfuscate and prevaricate but never actually lie to them as in some legal jurisdictions you might find this constitutes perjury. In the case of the did you marry a foreign woman question the answer might be "yes, but she is not rich enough to support me".
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 05:04   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Yes Charles, your being paranoid.. take a pill and get some sleep.
Actually Charlie is a realist. Things really are going to hell in a handbasket. Governments no longer look at their citizens as their master but as their assets.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 05:55   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Actually Charlie is a realist. Things really are ............
There always seems to be a fairly wide range in perceptions of reality.
Old 15-06-2016, 06:44   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
There always seems to be a fairly wide range in perceptions of reality.
Speaking about the upcoming Presidential elections....
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 08:46   #86

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quote:
You're not paranoid. Tell the bastards only what they absolutely need to know plus whatever they're likely to be able to figure out on their own with minimal effort.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.bobandmarilyn.ca
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, security