Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 09:00   #1

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Ordering from Canada Now Requires a Social Security Number !?

We were in the process of ordering some Canadian portholes when we ran into a snag. The company representative said that we had to provide a social security number or a federal company ID number for anything valued over $200 to be shipped to the US. If we don't provide a number the contents can't be insured for more than $200.

Having been victims of ID theft this is a no-go as we do not give out our SSN to any non-government entity.

Is the company rep really right ? What is the workaround if he is ?

-Sven
Old 23-02-2011, 09:04   #2

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425
Re: Ordering from Canada now requires a Social Security Number !?

In Canada SS numbers are not required to be disclosed for any transaction other than Government Business. I have shipped much from the states on a regular basis and never been asked for my SSN?

Steve BC Canada
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 09:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
In Canada SS numbers are not required to be disclosed for any transaction other than Government Business. I have shipped much from the states on a regular basis and never been asked for my SSN?

Steve BC Canada
Ordering from Canada was ambiguous, sorry. I'm in the US trying to order from our northern neighbors in Canada.

-Sven
Old 23-02-2011, 09:10   #4

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

"Residents of the USA do not pay any Canadian taxes on purchases. Parcels valued at under $200. US are not charged customs tax or brokerage fees on ground shipments being delivered in the USA (these charges are covered by our shipper/customs broker). Orders to be ground shipped that are over $200. US dollars will be automatically divided into lots and shipped separately over a period of time unless otherwise requested. For duty charges on merchandise over $200. US that is to be shipped all at once (or cannot be separated), please contact your US customs office for duty charge information - a brokerage fee will also be charged on each parcel that is valued at over $200. US. The Customs office will also require a Social Security Number (for a personal purchase) or IRS number (for a business purchase) on orders that will be Express Shipped or are OVER $200. US PER PARCEL. If you are ordering a single piece that is over this value, a parcel that is not to be divided into several shipments, or having your order express shipped, please indicate your Social Security Number or IRS number on your order. Otherwise, this information is not necessary."

Note, that if possible, the shipment can be broken up into smaller packages valued at less than $200US.
Old 23-02-2011, 09:10   #5

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack

The new Catch-22 of identity theft- companies need to verify who you are to avoid being ripped off but we are hesitant to verify who we are for fear of being ripped off.
Work-arounds-
1. Ask to speak to the owner of the company. Explain that you plan to cancel your order unless this requirement is rescinded. Explain that this is currently being duscussed on CF and invite him to present his side of the story.
2. Ship to a Canadian address and then have it reshipped to you. There may be a Canadian member here who is both trustworthy and willing to help.

https://docksixchronicles.blogspot.com/
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 09:17   #6

Hi Astrid,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Note, that if possible, the shipment can be broken up into smaller packages valued at less than $200US.
I don't mind paying customs but what you quoted makes it sound like I can't pay customs fees/duties unless I give someone unknown my SSN.

The Vogons have won !

-Sven
Old 23-02-2011, 09:21   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

According to FedEx:

“... U.S. Customs regulations require the IRS Employer Identification Number (EIN) or, if an individual, the Social Security Number (SSN) of the U.S. recipient for certain shipments being imported into the United States.

THIS INFORMATION MUST BE INCLUDED ON THE INTERNATIONAL AIR WAYBILL AND COMMERCIAL INVOICE FOR ALL U.S. IMPORT SHIPMENTS. The EIN or SSN must be on file with the U.S. Customs Service. Any changes to a company name, address or the EIN/SSN should be provided to FedEx for system updating.

Shipments which arrive in the U.S. that do not have the correct EIN or SSN may be detained until that information can be obtained from the recipient or otherwise determined.

This U.S. Customs Service requirement applies to U.S. import shipments with a declared value for customs in excess of US $2,000* and for the following commodities regardless of value: textiles or textile products, leather or leather products, or other goods that are restricted or controlled requiring a formal entry by the U.S. Customs Service, and shipments processed electronically through the Automated Broker Interface/Automated Commercial System (ABI/ACS).

*This limit is subject to change. Call FedEx Express International Customer Service at 800.247.4747 for current information ...”

More ➥ Shipping Terms - FedEx Package Tracking - Government Contract Services

Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) Online

“No need to file a Form SS-4. We ask you the questions and you give us the answers. After all validations are done you will get your EIN immediately upon completion. You can then download, save, and print your EIN confirmation notice.

This EIN is your permanent number and can be used immediately for most of your business needs, including opening a bank account, applying for business licenses, and filing a tax return by mail. However, no matter how you apply (phone, fax, mail, or online), it will take up to two weeks before your EIN becomes part of the IRS' permanent records. You must wait until this occurs before you can file an electronic return, make an electronic payment, or pass an IRS Taxpayer Identification Number matching program.”

More ➥ Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) Online

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 09:27   #8

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

What company are you ordering from and where? If i can be of any help let me know. i.e reshiping ect.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 09:36   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Find someone you know with a business (it can be any business) and have them order it for you so they can use their EIN#. It's also usually cheaper to have something sent to a business address.
Old 23-02-2011, 09:37   #10

Hi Mark,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
What company are you ordering from and where? If i can be of any help let me know. i.e reshiping ect.
It is very gracious of you to offer. The current order is from Bomon (portholes) and there is a second order from Cape Horn (vane). Reshipping would probably be a real pain for the intermediary so I'd hesitate to take anyone up on such an offer, but I may change my mind.

Thanks again,

-Sven
Old 23-02-2011, 09:41   #11

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Is this a brand new law? I bought several thousand dollars in different shipments in November and December and didn't have to give social. I did have to sign for packages, both US Postal service and UPS. I've actually been amazed how easy it has been. That said, every package has been opened and inspected.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 09:41   #12

Gord,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Interesting option !

-Sven
Old 23-02-2011, 09:43   #13

Well, I would probably just make up a SS number - maybe transpose a few digits in your real SS. The shipper can't check the number (not to mention, they don't care as long as they can fill in the box).

I genuinely doubt customs is checking the SS except in unusual situations. I guess there is a risk that you'll get a call from customs but I'm sure transposed numbers are routine. And I doubt they really need the SS number. I would imagine that they can look up the name of your 2nd grade teacher and your waist size just from the shipping address

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 09:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
Is this a brand new law? I bought several thousand dollars in different shipments in November and December and didn't have to give social. I did have to sign for packages, both US Postal service and UPS. I've actually been amazed how easy it has been. That said, every package has been opened and inspected.
We've bought from international sources too and paid customs duties, but not in the last year or so.

I wonder if they just make you go to the customs office to get your items if there is no SSN or EIN ?

Lots of questions and good suggestions. Great forum, as usual !

-Sven
Old 23-02-2011, 10:11   #15

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I don't think this is a Canadian requirement. I suspect it is a US requirement recently imposed by ICE or DHS or one of those government agencies.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, security, canada