Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2018, 13:36   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Cruisers: how long do you stay?

jlcnuke,

You stay as long as you can where you want to, and within visa and seasonal limitations. People vary considerably in what kinds of cruising appeals to them: some love cold places, others warm; some enjoy big cities and all they have to offer, and others, like it where there are no lights at night. So if you go, learn about places to go before you get there, and then do what you are drawn towards. Keep an eye on the weather, move on as desired. Leave space in the plan for the unexpected. Always give people a "window" in which to expect you, never a particular day or time. Invite visitors after you've arrived in the country where you will rendezvous. Many Customs or Quarantine departments require previous notification. Notify the ones you are heading towards before you check out from where you are leaving. Most countries issue you with an exit stamp on your visa, as well as the entry, some with a zarpe, a clearance form with stamps, etc.

Ann
Old 23-08-2018, 13:49   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

When we dropped anchor in Atuona in the Marquesas after our passage down from CA there was another boat in the Anchorage. By the time we left the Marquesas for the Tuamotus and points west, that boat was back in California. They'd done all of French Polynesia, sailed up to Hawaii and back to California in under 6 months.

We spent nearly all of our 6 month visa in the Marquesas and Ahe in the Tuamotus. After getting our Visa renewed in Papeete we made it all the way over to Moorea for the next six months. We'd anchored in 3 different bays on Moorea for a month or more with occasional sails over to Pepeete to shop. We weren't the typical cruiser but most of the boats we met spent most of a year in French Polynesia before heading west or home. There were occasional boats that were there to punch the ticket and move on but they were the minority.

I will almost guarantee if you plan your cruise with a short stay in various places for a year or more, you won't last six months cruising.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 14:12   #18

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Just remember that Youtube videos are 'highlight reels" which may appear to be all shot in one day, but typically are multiple days spliced together (unintentionally misleading?). There is a ton of sitting around like any cruiser, but who wants to watch that with their precious 15 min of free time?

Edit: Longest we've sat in one place is 6 weeks in Mexico for Christmas and then a good weather window.

Matt
Old 23-08-2018, 14:16   #19

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Stay until someone comes around trying to collect docking or anchoring fees.
Its funny, my wife and I have a saying.
"Its time to move when the locals start calling us by name!".

If that happens, we know the anchor got a little too sticky. Shortly after that, hilarity ensures as we move to the next island and realize we completely forgot how to sail.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 14:28   #20

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Just remember that Youtube videos are 'highlight reels" which may appear to be all shot in one day, but typically are multiple days spliced together (unintentionally misleading?). There is a ton of sitting around like any cruiser, but who wants to watch that with their precious 15 min of free time?

Matt
The truth from someone doing it! Can you imagine cueing up your fav YouTube channel and for the third week in a row see them waxing the boat or scraping the bottom or.. Yeah, me either.

I appreciate the channels, such as MJ sailing, that give you a good mix of sailing along with some local culture and a splash of boat maintenance thrown in for good measure. Leave the dull stuff on the cutting room floor!
Old 23-08-2018, 14:36   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Its funny, my wife and I have a saying.
"Its time to move when the locals start calling us by name!".
I go by google earth, if you zoom in and see your boat then definitely time to go buy a new phrase book and leave
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 15:03   #22

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Unless you have to slip your vessel for lengthy maintenance, stay only for as long as the place and its inhabitants hold your interest. Any longer, and you will begin to grow roots.

Familiarity breeds content--and who wants to be a landlubber again? That time will come soon enough--.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 15:24   #23

If I want photographs of boats, I go sailing and look around.

If I want video of boating stuff, I put the sails up or the engine on and move.

I have never understood the fascination of folks wanting websites to have gazillion pictures of sailboats.

I also don't understand why folks claim to spend so much time watching videos of other people doing what they claim they want to do.

And if you want a photo of your own boat, get out and have some friends take some. The more you're out there, the more you'll have your picture taken.

Of course, I'm jaded. I have owned boats for 35 years, have had this one for 20 years and grew up boating as a kid.

I suppose if you're dreaming and still don't have a boat, they may be interesting. For a while, perhaps.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 23:34   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

For me it tends to depend upon:

The availability of a good coffee shop and newsagent, I like to start the day with a
walk, a coffee and a browse of a news paper.

The convenience of shopping, water and fuel replacement.

The scenery. I like a good vista in the afternoons.

The intrusiveness, or lack of it, of pests such as officialdom, mosquito,s, sand flies,
etc.

The climate, I like to stay in the 22 - 26 degree celsius temperature band.

Other than that I'm not too particular.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 23:54   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

How long do we stay? Until we leave...

When do we leave? When we feel like it.

Cruising for us does not involve plans beyond avoiding cyclones and snow.

So, for the OP: don't worry about it... you will find out what works for you, and that is likely to change over the years. Did for us!

Jim
Old 24-08-2018, 04:32   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

I've stayed 4 months at one place a year ago for hurricane season and once stayed 3 months for winter. Each of those I ended up staying longer than intended due to "something".

But overall I haven't been anywhere that I haven't been ready to move on from after 1 week and more often 1-2 days.
Old 24-08-2018, 04:58   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

It depends...on individual preference. I know those who are "voyagers" rather than "cruisers" who prefer to be underway. Then Destination cruisers who once they reach their destination are soon ready to be underway. Me, Im at the other extreme, whats the rush? I like to really get to know an area...its taken me 13 years to get from Belize to Panama! 🤣

By contrast, we've spent most of the past several cruising seasons in the San Blas islands of Panama. We were there March thru June this year. Had an awesome cruising season. Of course, there are almost 400 islands spread out over more than 100 miles of coast line.

As far as literally in the same exact spot...typically not more than a couple of weeks. We have a favorite spot in the San Blas where we spent about 3 contiguous weeks this year.

I think the vlogers may need to keep moving on in order to keep their material interesting....so, here we are day 56 anchored in the same place...not exactly a cliff hanger.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 05:18   #28
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
It depends...on individual preference. I know those who are "voyagers" rather than "cruisers" who prefer to be underway. Then Destination cruisers who once they reach their destination are soon ready to be underway. Me, Im at the other extreme, whats the rush? I like to really get to know an area...its taken me 13 years to get from Belize to Panama! 🤣
For many it seems to change on how long you've been cruising for, first few years it's like an exciting holiday and a lot rush around trying to see and do everything then it mellows out a bit, boats might do longer passages then hole up in an area for a while and get to know the people and culture a bit better.
Both great fun
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 05:23   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruisers: how long do you stay?

Till everyone in my favourite bars go "Yo..!! Phil.!!!" as I walk in..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 06:18   #30

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Stay till you've eaten all the coconut crab.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser