Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 14:56   #1
Marine Service Provider

Crime rates

As a sailor looking to head off one day in the short (long?) term future.... I was somewhat shocked to see some of these amazing places that we all read about on here with such high crime rates!

Brazil, Jamaica, Bahamas: Popular tourist destinations with a high murder rate

Is this a scare campaign to keep Aussies out of these beautiful countries, or is it really that bad?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 15:03   #2

Re: Crime rates

I've been in brasil twice, once about 10 years ago, once a months...well i think is quite serious danger country....but as my matching country is italy so it could be too much, like the first time i've been to Usa and saw a pump station guy with 4 pistol..i'm not joking 4, FOUR PISTOL....neither italian army is such well equipped..LOL
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 15:20   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I have already posted the photo below, today, after someone was robbed last night whilst they were sleeping in their unlocked boat with open companionway.

Would you sleep in your home city with your front door unlocked and SWINGING OPEN???

There was another boat which I tried to post the photos on this forum of the blood and gore from a machete attack. They too decided to leave their boat obviously open. The forum removed the photos because reality is too graphic for here.

Again, would you sleep at home with your front door swinging open?

I haven't had any problems because I am locked up at night sleeping soundly just like I was when living in Sydney

Plus, I don't use or buy illegal drugs... nor wander the streets drunk at 3am... nor consort with postitutes...

My rules keep me safe

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 15:50   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Here you go http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...il-160201.html

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 16:02   #5

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

I think third world "crime rate" figures are interpreted in an exagerated way by people who come from Europe or the US. Many small island countries have crime rates for murder that are double or more the rate in the US. But, you have to look at the absolute numbers and see that the rate is usually low in both places. It's just twice as high in one place than another, but in both places it's still a pretty low number. So, Grenada is 13, the US is 4, St Lucia is 21, Burmuda is 7 people murdered per hundred thousand, etc, etc. Most of the crimes in these areas are property related.
Old 02-02-2016, 16:08   #6

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I have already posted the photo below, today, after someone was robbed last night whilst they were sleeping in their unlocked boat with open companionway.

Would you sleep in your home city with your front door unlocked and SWINGING OPEN???

There was another boat which I tried to post the photos on this forum of the blood and gore from a machete attack. They too decided to leave their boat obviously open. The forum removed the photos because reality is too graphic for here.

Again, would you sleep at home with your front door swinging open?

I haven't had any problems because I am locked up at night sleeping soundly just like I was when living in Sydney

Plus, I don't use or buy illegal drugs... nor wander the streets drunk at 3am... nor consort with postitutes...

My rules keep me safe

What about overhead hatches?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 16:15   #7

Boat: Ohlson 29

A second thread on this article? I could post what I posted in the first thread about using common sense and not sleeping with the "front door" open as MarkJ posted, but some people seem to prefer to look at numbers without any context and just be worried or even scared.

I'm in the Netherlands. If I compare the chances of getting seriously hurt or killed in the US to those here, I could easily conclude the US is just too damn dangerous. Or, I could use common sense, not wander into some nasty neighborhood and enjoy my stay.

My cousin (or nephew - I never know which is which is English ) lives in Brazil, with his Brazilian wife and their daughter. There's areas they avoid, which we all do I guess because pretty much each and every country / city has areas that are less then safe.

Common sense will do a lot more good then just looking at numbers, imho.
Old 02-02-2016, 19:14   #8

Boat: Westsail 32

So which are the 50 safest cities in the world?
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 19:20   #9

Boat: Ohlson 29

The Almighty Google has spoken:

http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...ld--lJR0wZ8sse
Old 02-02-2016, 20:18   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Common sense will do a lot more good then just looking at numbers, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
A
My cousin (or nephew - I never know which is which is English
Cousin - If your mother has a sister (your aunt), the son of the sister is your cousin.

Nephew - If you have a sister, your sister's son would be your nephew.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:30   #11

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
I think third world "crime rate" figures are interpreted in an exagerated way by people who come from Europe or the US. Many small island countries have crime rates for murder that are double or more the rate in the US. But, you have to look at the absolute numbers and see that the rate is usually low in both places. It's just twice as high in one place than another, but in both places it's still a pretty low number. So, Grenada is 13, the US is 4, St Lucia is 21, Burmuda is 7 people murdered per hundred thousand, etc, etc...
With all respect, I could not disagree more.
A small place with a high murder rate is just that: A dangerous small place.
If the murder rate is 21 in St Lucia and 4 in the US, it means there's 5 times more murders in St Lucia, per person.
Assuming ports are not insulated safe spots, and that other crimes follow the same trends, you'll be 5 times more likely to get into trouble by visiting a port at St Lucia than by visiting a port in the US. Roughly.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:38   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

one can go thru life being afraid of his own shadow or one can venture out into the world and enjoy it.
which are you??
scaredy sheeple cat following along blindly in the wake of govt sensationalist advisement, or independent thinker?
most of the statistics are created by paid statisticians to make a point. this point is redoable by anyone with the same numbers to do with as see fit. govt sees fit to warn all about anything and everything for whatever reasoning.
one can pay attention or one can use common sense if it is contained within the brain.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:50   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

My rules keep me safe
Consort.... is a little harsh don't ya think Mark???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:00   #14

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Yes. I currently don't lock my front door when I'm at home. When I lived in Hawai'i due to the remoteness of my place I didn't lock the door at any time. When I lived in Las Vegas and Los Angeles I had multiple locks that I used at all times.

It's situational. I do like the security screen you have a picture of.

Part of the issue is the amount of information we have available now. Someone experiences a burglary and it's a "trend" on social media, where 100 years ago it wouldn't get past just a mention at the office.

When I put my tinfoil hat on it seems like there is a conspiracy to keep people in their cubicle jobs and their cubicle houses buying stuff at the local box store. "If you venture out there it's a scary world".
Old 03-02-2016, 05:33   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crime rates

My personal viewpoint is that We Create the no go area's..
In the 80's Coventry City Centre became a more or less no go area..
Skins and Bikers had a couple of confrontations one Saturday evening with a lad I knew stabbed to death.. in the middle of crowds and families..
and suddenly the over 40's stopped going to town after 8pm..
After that the 'Morons' took over..
2300hrs the pubs would kick out and the fights would start.. the police would hover till it quietened then move in and pick up the left overs.. coverage in fact lowered.. like the 'Known Pub' for drugs.. everyone gathers there so leave em be.. easier to monitor.
Back in 2000 folk in SMX thought I was insane living in a room over a black bar overlooking the Salt Pond... spent my days in Marigot or Pallapa Docks then catch the last bus back to Phillipsburg.. yes there were assaults and even a murder back then but honestly.. I saw no real reason for the white/Asian paranoia that you did not walk on the streets after 2200 around 'The Burg'.. same with Marigot..
When its a small island its hard to 'Ghettoise'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote