Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 14:25   #1

Lightbulb Ever heard of an Airfryer?

Hey all!

Ever heard of a (Low Fat) Airfryer or Fissler Pressure Cookers? See where I'm going with this? Fish and chips or gourmet rotini looks pretty de'lish.

I'm not sure if I would be able to generate enough power under sail to run the Airfryer, electronics, desalinator, etc etc without issue. Do you think a combination of prop, solar and wind regeneration would provide all the power I might need?

Any thoughts???
Old 31-01-2016, 14:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Ever heard of an Airfryer?

Here in the USA we would just call it a pressure cooker I have two that go on a stove burner don't need electric to run it. What is your cooking source?
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 14:50   #3

Well, I've been thinking about it and I would probably run propane (When the time comes). Something like this ENO 2 burner stove and oven, but I wouldnt be likely to use the oven unless it's chilly out.

That would be great for the pressure cooker, but the Airfryer would run entirely off of power. It's basically a light, enclosed fryer that uses a fraction of oil that most people need when deep frying. It sounds like a slick solution for not spilling oil all over the galley!

Do you have trouble deep frying meals?
Old 31-01-2016, 15:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Actually I don't deep fry any foods a light coating of oil and into the oven
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We use a family sized airfryer on our boat. It is not a pressure cooker. It is a circular free standing frier with a slowly rotating paddle that uses a table spoon of olive oil (for us) to 'fry' 1.5kg of fries - they look and taste great. We run ours from the invertor. It takes 22 minutes to cook the fries. Beauty is the lack of mess...no splatter, and no pong throughout the boat. We also have an insert that allows fish etc to be 'fried' without smashing it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumKrazy View Post
Hey all!

Ever heard of a (Low Fat) Airfryer or Fissler Pressure Cookers? See where I'm going with this? Fish and chips or gourmet rotini looks pretty de'lish.

I'm not sure if I would be able to generate enough power under sail to run the Airfryer, electronics, desalinator, etc etc without issue. Do you think a combination of prop, solar and wind regeneration would provide all the power I might need?

Any thoughts???
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:52   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

According to the web site, it draws 1425W at 110V. Therefore, a moderately sized inverter could provide the power necessary to use it.

As a basic design rule, the watts / 10 equals the amount of current that would be taken out of your batteries. So, round numbers here folks, your electrical system would have to supply 142A of current at 12V, and presuming your fries take 20 minutes to "fry", that would be about 47Ah of energy.

This can come directly from a large bank of batteries, or from batteries supplemented by various charge sources (solar, alternator, wind). Presuming you have a Yanmar engine with a 55A alternator, your batteries would provide about 100A of current, and your engine alternator would provide about 50A of current.

Finally, you can *sort of* get an idea of how batteries react to a moderate load (25A) over a period of time by looking at a battery's Reserve Minutes. For most 12V batteries, this is the number of minutes that a battery can stay above 10.5V when discharged at 25A. I realize that we're talking 142A, not 25A, but my point is that large loads depress battery voltages more than we imagine, and that a really large battery bank is required when running big inverter loads.

Chuck Hawley
Alerion Express 38 Yawl "Surprise"
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:42   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chuck.....precisely. Ours is rated at 1180-1400watts, the voltage is 230v but the voltage is pretty irrelevant when run from an invertor; its the energy that counts. We have well over 1kw of solar panels and 2x wind gennies but our solar is the real source of power.
Our philosophy is to live as comfortably as possible within our means. The Actifry enables our diet to include things we, and our kids, really enjoy. The actifry does not come out of its lair every day - but does see action about every ten days or so and is one of our treats that our battery bank covers comfortably - batteries being 3x 12 MD 375's which are lead acid.
We have measured our consumption as being 42A to produce a plate of fries each for a family of six. This is pretty much as you calculated - but that is replaced very quickly by the solar array. For us it is a very worthwhile exchange, especially considering that we usually have surplus power after midday. *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
According to the web site, it draws 1425W at 110V. Therefore, a moderately sized inverter could provide the power necessary to use it.

As a basic design rule, the watts / 10 equals the amount of current that would be taken out of your batteries. So, round numbers here folks, your electrical system would have to supply 142A of current at 12V, and presuming your fries take 20 minutes to "fry", that would be about 47Ah of energy.

This can come directly from a large bank of batteries, or from batteries supplemented by various charge sources (solar, alternator, wind). Presuming you have a Yanmar engine with a 55A alternator, your batteries would provide about 100A of current, and your engine alternator would provide about 50A of current.

Finally, you can *sort of* get an idea of how batteries react to a moderate load (25A) over a period of time by looking at a battery's Reserve Minutes. For most 12V batteries, this is the number of minutes that a battery can stay above 10.5V when discharged at 25A. I realize that we're talking 142A, not 25A, but my point is that large loads depress battery voltages more than we imagine, and that a really large battery bank is required when running big inverter loads.

Chuck Hawley
Alerion Express 38 Yawl "Surprise"
Old 01-02-2016, 15:02   #8

That's great! It sounds like it won't be too big of a deal to fry up a few menu items once in a while.

Perfect day at sea imo: 1 - Furl the sails and drop anchor in 30-60 ft water, 2 - Throw on spearfishing gear, 3 - Dive in.

Little while later fillet up 5 or 6 freshly caught lion fish for a fine feast. Batter, fry to a crisp golden brown and enjoy with a side of "chips" and maybe a dash of malt vinegar. And of course a spot of Port Royal Punch in a mason jar or a couple bottles of suds.

Which leads me to my next question.

Do you think the air fryer would cook battered fish fillets without much difficulty? Normally deep frying fillets at 185ºC/356ºF only takes 5-8 minutes.

I wouldn't mind firing up the diesel to get the needed amperage without putting a strain on the batteries if necessary.

I'm a little concerned that frying fish like this might require a pot and a few inches of blistering peanut oil, though.
Old 01-02-2016, 15:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes it can - there is an accessory that provides for just this.

Quote:
That's great! It sounds like it won't be too big of a deal to fry up a few menu items once in a while.

Perfect day at sea imo: 1 - Furl the sails and drop anchor in 30-60 ft water, 2 - Throw on spearfishing gear, 3 - Dive in.

Little while later fillet up 5 or 6 freshly caught lion fish for a fine feast. Batter, fry to a crisp golden brown and enjoy with a side of "chips" and maybe a dash of malt vinegar. And of course a spot of Port Royal Punch in a mason jar or a couple bottles of suds.

Which leads me to my next question.

Do you think the air fryer would cook battered fish fillets without much difficulty? Normally deep frying fillets at 185ºC/356ºF only takes 5-8 minutes.

I wouldn't mind firing up the diesel to get the needed amperage without putting a strain on the batteries if necessary.

I'm a little concerned that frying fish like this might require a pot and a few inches of blistering peanut oil, though.
Old 01-02-2016, 16:02   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Should have clarified - we use a Tefal (ours is the 'family' model) which we have owned for around six years - the paddle wheel clicks out and is replaced by a drop in shallow basket for 'deep fying' of delicate items. You still only use a tiny amount of oil and there is no mess to clean up. It cooks with a closed lid as well so no splatter. I can't speak for other makes but spare parts are available for the Tefal via Amazon. In the years we have used our's we have only needed a replacement paddle a few weeks ago. Its been totally reliable and effective.
On the subject of cooking fish - sometimes we do get heartedly sick of fish - my wife then marinades it in Marmite or Vegemite and fish takes on a whole new taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Yes it can - there is an accessory that provides for just this.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:52   #11

Hmm, never thought of putting something like vegemite on fish. Interesting!

I'm feeling more and more confident about the air fryer... As far as getting sick of fish, what about changing it up with shellfish? If I'm not mistaken a pressure cooker could make short work of crab, lobster, etc?

Have you heard of anyone being able to successfully catch enough shrimp for a decent meal from a sailboat? (Heard about shrimp baiting but haven't really seen anyone talk about it on CF)
PlumKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 13:29   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My wife uses a pressure cooker and the fry pan pressure cooker a lot - including for shell fish. Our lobsters etc tend to go onto the braai (barbeque). We have never had success with shrimp though.

Quote:
Hmm, never thought of putting something like vegemite on fish. Interesting!

I'm feeling more and more confident about the air fryer... As far as getting sick of fish, what about changing it up with shellfish? If I'm not mistaken a pressure cooker could make short work of crab, lobster, etc?

Have you heard of anyone being able to successfully catch enough shrimp for a decent meal from a sailboat? (Heard about shrimp baiting but haven't really seen anyone talk about it on CF)
Old 03-02-2016, 08:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
My wife uses a pressure cooker and the fry pan pressure cooker a lot - including for shell fish. Our lobsters etc tend to go onto the braai (barbeque). We have never had success with shrimp though.
Hmm, It never would have occurred to me that cooking shrimp in a pressure cooker might be tough. What about pouring in a little beer and then letting the cooker do the work? It shouldnt mess up the pressure cooker, should it?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:41   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi PlumKrazy - I should have clarified - we have not had success harvesting the litte so & so's and have never bought them in the market. When we shop for meat we always buy land meat as we still collect enough from the sea - at least in some locations. We have one particular location where we collect langoustine and these end up with lemon and garlic on the braai.
The pressure cooker, though, is indespenible to us - and the fry pan version especially see's a lot of use. Im not sure how much bottled gas it saves but we believe it is a heap.

Quote:
Hmm, It never would have occurred to me that cooking shrimp in a pressure cooker might be tough. What about pouring in a little beer and then letting the cooker do the work? It shouldnt mess up the pressure cooker, should it?
Old 04-02-2016, 04:02   #15

Ah, gotcha! That makes sense. I'm going to have to check into all of the interesting things one can do with a pressure cooker. Using one might be even more valuable than I thought!

Tags
chips, fish, sea, suds