Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2009, 06:06   #1

Cost of Living Aboard - Maintenance

I realize that that there are innumerable factors involved how much it costs to live aboard. I keep reading that some people do it on a few thousand, while others spend 100k. And so forth.

My husband would love to ditch our apartment and move to a boat, and I am rather intrigued by the idea. I love the water and travel. I grew up a home schooled kid so naturally I could picture raising a child, at least for a time, in an unconventional environment. We already live comfortably in 850 square feet, one of which is a bedroom we have reserved in case we have a child.

So we're trying to figure out whether this would be possible and would it would require.

I think I know how to estimate how much we'd spend on ordinary living expenses. I know how to look up slip fees. I even like to think I have an idea of what boat I'd love to find -- a 42' kadly krogen, probably an older one since under 250k in purchase price is more realistic for our income level.

The problem is that I have absolutely zero idea how to estimate the yearly cost of maintenance and repair of a 40' power boat (or a sailboat for that matter). I have not owned a boat before so I just haven't seen the bills or had the opportunity to go . I keep reading that it costs 5-10 percent of the boats "value" to maintain her properly. Do they mean 5-10 percent of the cost of one of the boats new, every single year? The 44' kadly krogen is something like 650k I think, and that's the closest thing to the old kk 42s. So does that mean we'd have to have 30-60k available every year just to keep the boat in repair? (Laugh if you will, but I had rather been hoping that costs might not exceed what we currently drop in rent for our waterview apartment -- $1700/m.)

Any insight about what liveaboard on a boat of this sort really costs would be helpful. I know how variable this stuff us, but I am trying to get an idea of which general financial ballpark we have to be playing in before it becomes feasible.

Oh, and we live in Annapolis, MD.
seaparrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard