Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 12:31   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
wow, 10% per Year of the purchase price?? I guess if you buy a fixer upper and include all the improvments it could be even more. But if you bought a well found boat I wouldnt expect it to be near that (excluding improvments, new electronics etc "boy toys")
so, if i paid 10k for a 41 footer, i should only have to pay 400/yr for maintenance--LOL----there is no tool for figgering how much is ok to spend on maintenance and provisioning---there is no tool to dictate how much the initial purchase of your boat should be--this market has boats that should be selling for 100k selling for 30k----this is not a legitimate tool --there is no tool-----buy your boat and enjoy it---donot worry about the cost of living aboard--is sooo much less than folks will advise you.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:35   #32

yea but.......

... did you figure in the cost of a new black lace bra?.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 15:58   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
... did you figure in the cost of a new black lace bra?.....
LOL--i get those in thrift stores LOL--never pay retail!!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 20:36   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Everyone is looking for a rule of thumb and nothing seems to fit.

How about 10% of the fair market value of "your particular" boat to keep it basicaly at the same value.

41 foot - fair market value $10K = $1,000
41 foot - fair market value $100k = $10,000

You also can't take 1 years 's costs all the time. If you just finished a $60k retrofit you would expect to amortize that investment for a while...

hmmm...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 07:57   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

How about 10% of the fair market value of "your particular" boat to keep it basicaly at the same value.

You also can't take 1 years 's costs all the time. If you just finished a $60k retrofit you would expect to amortize that investment for a while...

hmmm...

today "fair market value" is not an operative word--the market is in a major slump and buyers win and sellers lose. what went for 80k 3 yrs ago now cost 10k---so--this doesnt work either--LOL--so----this doesnt work either--i have lived aboard and been a boat owner for many years--since 1990----i have found there is NO rule of thumb--sometimes ye put into the boat 10k the next year maybe not a penny in repairs---go figger--is not something that follows rules--is up to gods of the sea (and some are women LOL).....and then there is davey jones!!!. just need to be a wise shopper and a frugal maintenance expert--if one consistently shops west marine, one will consistently pay higher than needed prices for parts and equipment --the same parts and equipment being much less expensive elsewhere--and IS THE SAME STUFF!!!!!!! so--if you are realistic in your attempts to live aboard and not spend the national deficit in your boating repairs and purchases, there is a lot better bottom line than if you insist on keeping west marine in business as a monopoly....there ARE alternatives..LOL...not ALL 10k boats of 41 ft are worth 10k--many are worth much much more, and is not an appropriate measurement of re[pair and maintenance needs..LOL--as i said prior--THERE IS NO TOOL for this....goood luck and have fun!!!!
PS--boats are not real estate--they do not appreciate unless ye has a national historic treasure...there IS depreciation yet there is NO appreciation!!! except the appreciation ye has of having the boat to sail or power onward to warm climates and playgrounds...LOL....
Old 13-08-2009, 08:15   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by [B
Ex-Calif[/B]]

hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
today "fair market value" is not an operative word--the market is in a major slump and buyers win and sellers lose. what went for 80k 3 yrs ago now cost 10k---so--this doesnt work either--LOL--so----this doesnt work either--i have lived aboard and been a boat owner for many years--since 1990----i have found there is NO rule of thumb--sometimes ye put into the boat 10k the next year maybe not a penny in repairs---go figger--is not something that follows rules--is up to gods of the sea (and some are women LOL).....and then there is davey jones!!! ...LOL....
It's like insuring a boat – got at an auction for 10¢ on the $1: insurance will cost proportionately to the replacement value of the boat to make good any damage — that guides the insured value with. Same for yearly maintenance; with hills and valleys corresponding to heroic feats of rebuilding.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 08:23   #37

Getting a perspective that works

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Ex-Calif[/b] Everyone is looking for a rule of thumb and nothing seems to fit.

You also can't take 1 years 's costs all the time. If you just finished a $60k retrofit you would expect to amortize that investment for a while... hmmm...

Originally Posted by zeehag today "fair market value" is not an operative word--the market is in a major slump and buyers win and sellers lose. what went for 80k 3 yrs ago now cost 10k---so--this doesnt work either--LOL--so----this doesnt work either--i have lived aboard and been a boat owner for many years--since 1990----i have found there is NO rule of thumb--sometimes ye put into the boat 10k the next year maybe not a penny in repairs---go figger--is not something that follows rules--is up to gods of the sea (and some are women LOL).....and then there is davey jones!!! ...LOL....
It's like insuring a boat – got at an auction for 10¢ on the $1: insurance will cost proportionately to the replacement value of the boat to make good any damage — that guides the insured value. Same for yearly maintenance; with hills and valleys corresponding to heroic feats of rebuilding.
Old 13-08-2009, 08:36   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Wade View Post
It's like insuring a boat – got at an auction for 10¢ on the $1: insurance will cost proportionately to the replacement value of the boat to make good any damage — that guides the insured value. Same for yearly maintenance; with hills and valleys corresponding to heroic feats of rebuilding.
however, the numbers never correlate--so there is nothing upon which to base a rule of thumb---for example---my formosa is replacement value of 245+k, i paid 10k for her -- there is no "rule of thumb" for regular maintenance....none whatsoever-----and boats of certain vintage are difficult AT BEST to insure.if not impossible....LOL
Old 13-08-2009, 08:46   #39

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I had a feeling there was a little bit of Pirate in ya Zeehag....good on ya for getting such a steel...I'm jealous.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 08:59   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I had a feeling there was a little bit of Pirate in ya Zeehag....good on ya for getting such a steel...I'm jealous.
gotta keep the ears and eyes open and the hand on the purse!!!!! thankyou---i love me piratical smallship---lots to do first off, but will be nice n easy when done!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH.....LOL
Old 13-08-2009, 09:30   #41

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
The first boat I bought was a 53' bill Garden designed wood Ketch. for 20K...Named Y-knot..It was never delivered... but disappeared in route along with the small time broker/seller I purchased it from.. Since it had not been transferred in my name yet Coast Guard or the Sheriff's could do nothing for me.

Its probably running drugs some where.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 10:12   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
The first boat I bought was a 53' bill Garden designed wood Ketch. for 20K...Named Y-knot..It was never delivered... but disappeared in route along with the small time broker/seller I purchased it from.. Since it had not been transferred in my name yet Coast Guard or the Sheriff's could do nothing for me.

Its probably running drugs some where.
gawd what a nightmare.....i am sooooo glad mine has a fiberglass hull!!!! bigger pieces when it breaks up lol...gotta keep the sense of humor at all times...makes life funner!!!!!!!
Old 19-08-2009, 11:21   #43

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
The only relatively consistent measurement of maintenance costs I've been able to discover is length. The more feets 'ya got the more bucks 'ya spend.
When I was younger and living on the cheap aboard my 26' gaffer, I found per item maintenance costs came in multiples of $30.00 (This item cost $30.00, that one cost $90.00 etc.). When I met my lady and moved aboard her 35' yawl (no fool I), we found that costs had escalated to multiples of $300.00 ($300, $900, etc.). Now we live aboard a 45' cat. You can do the math, it makes my stomach hurt.

Also, zeehag is right on when she mentions rv stores. Try comparing prices for stuff like lighting fixtures, fans, etc. The difference can be amazing.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 11:47   #44

I've been running the math on this one too. Based on what I've been reading, it's looking like I'd be better off shelling out more money initially for a newer boat (I was originally thinking early to mid 80's Hunter 34). I guess I'm going to wind up spending the money one way or another. I think I'd rather it be for a newer boat than to replace ~25 year old equipment at hundreds of dollars a whack. Just thinking out loud...
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 13:07   #45

Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS Mike View Post
...living on the cheap aboard my 26' gaffer, I found per item maintenance costs came in multiples of $30.00 ...I met my lady and moved aboard her 35' yawl ... costs had escalated to multiples of $300.00 ($300, $900, etc.). Now we live aboard a 45' cat. You can do the math, it makes my stomach hurt.

Also, zeehag is right on when she mentions rv stores. Try comparing prices for stuff like lighting fixtures, fans, etc. The difference can be amazing.
In some countries commercial fishermen's stores sell good, servicable stuff for many times less than the fancy racing yacht prices. You just need to use your judgement about what kinds of gear will work out well on the yacht. Some people will not buy economical gear: it has to be gold plated.

Tags
living aboard