Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2019, 01:09   #46

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: San Diego to San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Paul, I think this is quite optimistic! Do remember the coastal current, residual sea and swell, that he is inexperienced and singlehanding and the motor is of unknown ability to drive the boat near hull speed. I'd bet on more like 36 hours. And from personal experience, the 100 miles around Sur are seldom without adventure!

All in all. trailering looks a good proposal.

Jim
I noted earlier in this thread my concern for doing it with an outboard and that the OP needs to go out in significant seas and wind and see how effective tbe outboard will be prior to the passage. I also said it is impractical to do it on 3 day weekends as you can't catch the weather windows.
That said, I've only done this uphill trip once. From Point Conception north it was mild, rolling ground swells with practically no wind. So if you have patience and don't mind motoring, and get some luck, it is doable.

I also noted earlier that one of the best things about these pocket cruisers is that you can trailer them to great cruising grounds and then have a good boat to enjoy them. Personally I would not own a pocket cruiser if I didn't have a trailer.
This couple did a lot in their pocket cruiser, a Dana 24
Karen and Jim's Excellent Adventure: Sockdolager, our Dana 24, is for sale.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 07:01   #47

Boat: Kelly-Peterson 44

OK, not being alone on the boat removes my strong recommendation against the trip as long as you have plenty of time and can wait for the weather windows. I like the Idea of trucking it from Santa Barbara to Monterey. However, you might find it's almost as expensive.

Sailing it up to Santa Barbara should be no problem. Take some time to anchor out at Catalina and the Channel Islands. Great fun. Getting a berth at Santa Barbara might be a bit of an issue though so make sure you coordinate with the harbor master beforehand.

Truck it to Monterey.

In any kind of decent weather, Monterey to Santa Cruz is an easy day sail across Monterey Bay. Getting a berth at Santa Cruz can be tough, but I've anchored out off the Boardwalk a number of times. As long as there's no weather coming up from the south, making it an on-shore wind, it's perfectly safe. It can be a little rolly, but good holding and perfectly safe.

Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay should be a straight forward overnight trip in the Flicka (leave in the late afternoon/evening and arrive sometime the next day). With decent weather, there should be no issues though you may find yourself motor-sailing since you'll be going directly upwind and against the current. Half Moon Bay has a huge anchorage area inside the outer breakwater and if you need or want one, transient slips are usually available. Watch the chart as you approach and leave Half Moon Bay and stay on the proper side of the buoys as there some submerged rocks (remember, Red Right Returning).

Half Moon Bay to SF Bay is usually an easy day sail though, as always, watch the weather. Once again, you're going up wind so you may find yourself motor-sailing again. As you approach that right turn into SF Bay, don't cut the corner. The conventional wisdom is to go all the way out to the east end of the ship channel, but I admit to usually just going to the buoy at the western end of it before making that glorious right turn toward the Gate (depends on the weather).

As you're going up the coast, stay at least a couple of miles offshore.
Dan Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 08:39   #48

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Just for fun I did a Predict Wind plan. Leaving any time in the next 8 days will generally get you 20-30 knots on the nose with 6-10 foot waves. Not a good plan for any boat. After than about 4 days of light winds. As many have said, pick your window.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 08:56   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Best View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The conventional wisdom is to go all the way out to the east WEST end of the ship channel, but I admit to usually just going to the buoy at the western EASTERN end of it before making that glorious right turn toward the Gate (depends on the weather).>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is that what you really meant?

And it's not the weather, it's the sea state. The weather and wind could be gone and the Potato Patch and southern bar can still be knarly up to a few days later
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:05   #50

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Did you look into the $2200 trailer I posted a link to?

Once the boat is on the trailer the cost is within $200 whether you start in San Diego an finish in San Francisco or just go from Santa Barbara to Monterey. I wouldn't hesitate to haul and launch a Flicka on that Easy Load trailer at a launch ramp, then unstep and step the mast with 3 people and an A frame. You might not get the the boat just right on the trailer the first time, and you might get wet, but you just saved a ton of time and money. You will find that the trailer will probably pay for itself with cheaper storage options over the longer term, as well as letting you take the boat up to the San Juan islands for a month, etc.

Right now I'm watching the weather for June 5 delivery down the coast to San Pedro on a Santa Cruz 70. I would abort if the forecast was for gales, but the boat and crew are capable of going in 0 to 35k of the prevailing winds--we would prefer 15-25. My point is that I see NO weather windows to take your boat up the coast from Santa Barbara in the next 8 days. OTOH if you want to go from San Diego to Santa Barbara, practically any time is OK starting tomorrow.

I use Windy.com, because its free and lets me easily switch back and for between the European and US weather models. I usually don't trust the forecasts at all for more than 3 days out, as you will see the two models start to diverge significantly. The exception was my last trip up from Santa Barbara on May 24. Both models predicted a 48 hour window a week out, and never changed. I waited 3 days for the window, left on schedule, and saw less than 8 knots the entire 26 hours it took me to get to Santa Cruz. The previous triplast December was from Cabo--I left San Diego based on a forecast window, and as I got near Santa Barbara the predicted southerlies at Conception were 20+ from the north. We stopped 3 hours for dinner, saw the actual winds change, and enjoyed another downwind delivery. However, I've also left a westsail 32 in Channel Islands for over 3 weeks to get a good window.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:11   #51

One other consideration of trucking from SB to M: both are small towns, don't know the possibility of getting trucks with trailers to the water. I know there are two or three marinas in Monterey, but don't know about haul out facilities. Don't know anything about SB. Just thinkin' ahead. Some places might be easier for haul outs and drop back ins.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:14   #52

Boat: Kelly-Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Is that what you really meant?
Oops, I think my dyslexia got the better of me. You're right, what I meant to say was "The conventional wisdom is to go all the way out to the WEST end of the ship channel, but I admit to usually just going to the buoy at the EASTERN end".

And I should have probably said "(depends on the conditions)".

Good catches. I obviously didn't proof read my post well enough.
Dan Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 12:59   #53

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
Oh, over the years I've changed my sailing objectives to follow the wind instead of trying to beat it. The first 1000 + mile (many years ago) mostly up wind and against the current with no motor was enough. The last 2 were with the current and wind (except for a couple of hundred nasty miles but at least they were warm) with a good motor.

I guess if Bligh was alive today he would go for it. But that trip is also, cold, very foggy at times and lots of traffic.
For my money it would be Hawaii or truck :-)

Bill
FWIW, I once made this passage with dead flat calm all the way to SF. Another time calm as far as Santa Cruz. If you get a calm, just don't stop anywhere except for fuel.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 13:02   #54

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
One other consideration of trucking from SB to M: both are small towns, don't know the possibility of getting trucks with trailers to the water. I know there are two or three marinas in Monterey, but don't know about haul out facilities. Don't know anything about SB. Just thinkin' ahead. Some places might be easier for haul outs and drop back ins.
Many years ago we trucked a Cal 29 SB to Alameda. They use travelifts at both points to move it on and off the truck. Any boatyard can do this working with professional boat hauler. Some have suggested you can buy or have made a trailer to haul yourself, and unstep the mast yourself. Flicka msy be light and small enough to do this, I don't know, but if so you would save a couple thousand.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 14:26   #55

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
FWIW, I once made this passage with dead flat calm all the way to SF. Another time calm as far as Santa Cruz. If you get a calm, just don't stop anywhere except for fuel.
I have as well but that is not the norm in my experience and to base a decision on that would be foolish.

WX forecasts at any Point, Conception, Arguelllo, Our will not be accurate as the forecast is a general forecast for a large area and these areas have their own wx systems.

How much fuel does the onboard burn per mile? How much would he to take to have an adequate extra amount for emergencies which could involve tens of miles?

By now I'd think he has enough info to make his decision. Hiring, or at least getting a quote from a professional is good idea. Maybe he'll let us know what he decided
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 15:01   #56

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
I have as well but that is not the norm in my experience and to base a decision on that would be foolish.

WX forecasts at any Point, Conception, Arguelllo, Our will not be accurate as the forecast is a general forecast for a large area and these areas have their own wx systems.

How much fuel does the onboard burn per mile? How much would he to take to have an adequate extra amount for emergencies which could involve tens of miles?

By now I'd think he has enough info to make his decision. Hiring, or at least getting a quote from a professional is good idea. Maybe he'll let us know what he decided
If you don't trust the forecast, then use the real time buoys.
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=46011
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 15:20   #57

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

agreed, up hill in a flicka will be a slog. id ship it, no way itll cost $4k. put it on uship and dont be in a hurry, youll likely find a deadhead going back up who'll do it for a grand...
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 17:47   #58

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20

Rob Wilk,
That brings me to a whole other discussion! The people I got the quote from are a large company that have near perfect reviews. When I told him that I had gotten a Uship quote for $800 he said that people on Uship will most likely put your boat on a flatbread trailer no matter what kind it is. I thought it was just a way to get me comfortable spending as much as he was asking until I read forums and reviews of the exact things that he was talking about. It also sounds like they can be unreliable with their timing. Sorry to go off topic, but am I mistaken?
As for the trailer for sale. I might buy it just for the transport and get my money back with the sale of it. Even if I bought it at $2000 and sold it for $1000, I would be saving a very large sum of money. The options you have all brought to me are brilliant and will consider all of them.

Thank you all for your time!
Montslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 18:41   #59

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

as with all things, buyer beware. ive had pretty good luck with uship over the years.
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 18:54   #60

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As someone who is still sailing around the SB channel, and having been around Point Conception in both my 24' and a 20', I hate to say it but I am agreeing that shipping is a good idea, but the better idea is to own a good trailer for the boat and rent a truck to tow it yourself when needed. Santa Barbara has a ramp and a hoist to put your boat in. I have seen folks use a long tongue extension and back a Flicka in at a ramp. I would recommend the trip to SB too, but there are still some long legs in there for a little boat! You will be, or you will be wanting to, motor a lot. Lately it has been extremely calm and this is the season to do it, and you'd likely make good hull speed progress up the coast especially in the mornings given you have enough fuel. While it may not be a boat designed to make this kind of trip, the Flicka is the little boat that could ( as in "the little engine that could ), and one on a trailer is a set-up with a lot of potential. Let me know if you come up to the Channel Islands, I'll show you some nice spots out there!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego, san francisco