Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 05:35   #1
cruiser

Sailing for Economy

Ok honestly time, how any here are running sailboats because of fuel efficiency. If paying a $250 or $500 or $1000 a day fuel bill was no issue, how many would be in a salty 45' trawler? I'm not talking about $1M Nords or Krogens, just good ole cheap trawlers or maybe engine heavy motor sailors. I'm a fan of the Marine Trader 40'-44's, I know people talk smack about them being junk, but they have a good oldschool look. An argument would be if you could afford $800 a day in fuel, you would probably no have a old $50k trawler. Good point, but it's all about priorities. Having the $500k would put a huge dent in your gas kitty if not well off. But with a low buck trawler, $20k a year on fuel isn't that bad and doable for many. Sure I like the masts and rig, but I believe a huge flopper rig and bird flying will help stem my needs to be on deck in the rain. Plus I would add a roller headsail and roller mizzen to any trawler with a round sailboat style hull (gulfstar, ect..) Diesel Ducks are the ducks butt, salty, sail assist, back slant pilot windows, keel&skeg, but also cost a chunk. So how many sailors dream boat uses to much fuel and is not a new bene 45?
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 05:50   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Sailing for Economy

[QUOTE=Horror Hotel;1506027An argument would be if you could afford $800 a day in fuel, you would probably no have a old $50k trawler. [/QUOTE]

While I got into boating to be able to travel, I got into sailing due to fuel costs.

But I'm positive that if I could afford $800/day in fuel that I wouldn't have an old $50k trawler!
Old 31-03-2014, 05:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Different strike for different folks horror....

I like most here have been around boats and the sea my entire life...

I am still in awe this day how seaworthy, reliable, punish taking, and simple point A to B making some M/V craft are....

I can't do it.... The second I get a chance to shut her down... I do... Wind and hull whispers... That's why I do this....

BUT DANG!!! I've skippered some purdy fancy boats from point A to B... Like BIG Hattateri....

Great... Now ya got me thinking one of each again...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 05:55   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
While I got into boating to be able to travel, I got into sailing due to fuel costs.

But I'm positive that if I could afford $800/day in fuel that I wouldn't have an old $50k trawler!
For me its all about living the life of a sailor and hope that I can continue to the day I leave the planet for bluer waters.
Old 31-03-2014, 06:04   #5

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Me... I do it for the WOMEN!
Old 31-03-2014, 06:06   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've been a MV driver for most of my life. Money is the biggest reason I'm going to sail, frankly I'd be more comfortable in a big ole Trawler type of boat as I know how to deal with and handle one of those.
But, I've sort of done the math on what it would take money wise to "see the world" on a big ole Trawler, and I can't afford it.

I hope that I will become enamored on moving silently through the water and understand what draws so many people to sailing, but my real motivating factor is cost.

I'd bet most everyone that isn't one of the "cruising on $5,000 a month club" cost is an issue.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 06:08   #7
cruiser

I would add that a 50k trawler is a boat that was probably listed at 80k , I don't know what your idea of nice is but 80k on yacht world gets a whole lotta boat these day. There's a current thread on CF about a first timer buying a $800k boat. Talk about being drawn into marketing and as a first timer you really are pretty clueless to what you need. But this is not about novices buying shiny things.
Old 31-03-2014, 06:11   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I have dear friends who have and are cruising far and wide in a 45' wooden trawler with steadying sails. Their enjoyment of remote places (AK to 'round South America to Labrador) is not diminished by having motored there. In fact, having serious engine power gives them access to a lot of places that would be sketchy by sailboat. Labrador, for one, is very difficult to cruise by sail alone, and even the gentler Newfoundland would have been extremely challenging for us in our sailboat without a trusty outboard engine. If you like motorsailers or trawlers, by all means get one and give the snobs no regard.
Old 31-03-2014, 06:33   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's not about snobbery or smugness. One thing I am absolutely certain about a boat is no matter how big, nice and expensive your's is, there is a bigger, nicer and more expensive one close by.

It seems to me that if you really want to travel long distances, don't have to meet time constraints, that sailing is a less expensive way to do it as opposed to motoring.

What concerns me is growing up I have always seen sailboats sitting, very, very few of them ever leave their slips. Only the MV's, especially the Sportfisher guy's did you ever see actually go out. I'm assuming it's because sailing is a lot of work, an MV it's just turning a key.
Old 31-03-2014, 06:36   #10

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It's not about snobbery or smugness. One thing I am absolutely certain about a boat is no matter how big, nice and expensive your's is, there is a bigger, nicer and more expensive one close by.

It seems to me that if you really want to travel long distances, don't have to meet time constraints, that sailing is a less expensive way to do it as opposed to motoring.
As well as much less environmental impact to the waters that we claim to love.
Old 31-03-2014, 06:41   #11

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

My husband grew up with power boats, and for a long time the dream was to buy a motor trawler and motor away. A few years ago I suggested we could go farther for less money with sails. Got him thinking.

Last summer we chartered a sailboat out of Newport and we were hooked. The QUIET!! And the fact that you are more engaged in the activity of sailing, rather than pointing the bow to where you want to be and motoring on through.

So money was a factor, but the activity of sailing is what turned the tide for us!!

HAPPY MDR -- Wind and Hull Whispers.......great words.
Old 31-03-2014, 06:44   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've learned never to say never, and I admit that the cost of operating a power boat, even a trawler-type, would tax my limited financial resources, but I suspect I could still manage it. Simply put, I choose sail over some sort of power boat b/c it appeals to my general approach to life.

Part of my, and luckily my partner's, approach to life is a purposeful effort to limit our impact on this planet. Sail allows me to do that (not perfectly ... yes, I'm a hypocrite...). It also appeals to other forces that drive us, such as the desire to explore and learn, for adventure and creativity, and most of all to be more free.

So no, at this point in my life I would not choose a trawler over my sailboat. Nor would I choose a bigger sailboat. My current boat is big enough, and fast enough for us. Why have more when less will do? Why use a lot, when you only need a little?

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
Old 31-03-2014, 06:52   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Different stokes,
I'll do the "right thing" for the environment whenever possible, but admit that is not my primary motivating factor.
Example, we drive Prius. Almost everyone expect us to be some kind of South Park kind of smug about it, have had people comment "I didn't know you were an environmentalist etc"
Truth is we do an excessive amount of driving, when you run the numbers, nothing is cheaper to do an excessive amount of driving in than a Prius, the environmental thing is just an added bonus

I suspect the sailboat is the same, if you are really going to put some miles under the keel, nothing is cheaper per mile than a sailboat (I hope) and the environmental thing is a bonus
Old 31-03-2014, 06:52   #14

Admiral hates motoring. I have no qualm firing up the iron genny and having a go. She'd rather lie becalmed than motoring. Kinda settles the issue for better or worse.....
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 07:10   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post

Ah, environmental smugness.
I try to be kind to the environment, but I also love all kinds of motor sports. Hill climbs, power boat racing, semi drag racing. I love the sight of a 2000hp kenworth turbo diesel billowing clouds of black smoke at boost waiting for the tree to turn green. Or the gas rich 2 stroke hydro plane going 100mph.
This thread wasn't to debate who's boat leaves a cleaner foot print, we have Stanly Paris for that. He's getting ready for attempt 2 in November, after he swims the English Channel.

Tags
sail, sailing