Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-05-2015, 00:30   #1

Boat: Islander I-37, MS, Tradewind 32
Sailboats w/ Cargo Holds, for Transporting/ Selling Goods in CARB. ?

Hello All,

I was in the Army during the little Grenada Invasion with the Cubans in 1983. I met John Caldwell at Palm Island. He had helped the Spec. Ops. Boys investigate Grenada just a few weeks prior to the show down in October,1983.

Anyway, John Caldwell was placed on the good boy list and received some free of charge generators from the Army. John opened up Palm Island to the Army, to come and go for rest & relieve (R&R). John had a boat motor that was over heating. so we fixed it for him. John treated all the Army Folks A OK, we had some great (understatement) times at Palm Island.

Anyway, I become aware of goods (thru J. Caldwell) being traded around the CARB. Islands. This seemed like a good way to make money & enjoy yourself in paradise at the same time.

My Original Question: I have seen the plans & folks building cargo type hauling sailing boats with a single or double cargo holds. I assume that these boats are being used for hauling/ transporting cargo. This post makes me smile. I'm guessing the Clipper Ships are coming back into vogue < dumb joke.

Perhaps, theirs a market $$$ place for this type of (transporting & selling goods) business in the CARB. Island Chain. I remember seeing a number of smaller boats come into St George Harbor, Grenada. They were older boats, small (trawlers) freighters, nothing fancy.

Closing: " Does anyone think theirs a market place for transporting goods thru out the CARB. Island Chain. ? ! ? "

Note: This Post has Nothing to do with Smuggling, Drugs, Absolutely Not, so Don't Go There ! I brought the transport business subject up because I saw this type of trade/ transport business going-on in 1983.

Thanks,

Avery
HighFly_27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat