Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016, 17:11   #1276

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lay odds he's from the US of A.. classic paranoia..
Wrong
See above.
OceanoMare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 17:19   #1277

By the way, stop argumenting by reduction ad absurdum.
The traveller sending one e-mail example is not what is being discussed here. We are talking about making a living/sustain a family + boat with software dev work. That's hours a day every day.
Old 12-05-2016, 17:42   #1278

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCalliroe View Post
Nope. If you are a US citizen in Italy, working for a US company and being paid in USD in your US bank account, you must be on a work VISA (max 90 days I think, you don't require a VISA per se which makes it harder to explain) or you will be evading Italian taxes. That's a crime and it's punishable by law.
Whatever. The world is not actually governed by boolean logic, yet. Stop coding for a moment, and go for a walk in the woods. Different logic out there.
Can we get back to the thread topic now?
Old 12-05-2016, 17:47   #1279

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Whatever. The world is not actually governed by boolean logic, yet. Stop coding for a moment, and go for a walk in the woods. Different logic out there.
Can we get back to the thread topic now?

We are on the topic, and that's pretty rude. Looks like I'm not the one that needs a walk in the woods.
Old 12-05-2016, 18:15   #1280

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

I think that this is about making money while you cruise.

If I'm cruising, I don't see myself staying in one place for months at a time unless the weather demands it. Maybe I just have a different idea of cruising.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 21:20   #1281

Quote:
We are on the topic, and that's pretty rude. Looks like I'm not the one that needs a walk in the woods.
Laws we are governed by are open to interpretation hence the need for judges. Scientific laws are black and white which seems to be where your coming from. Do cruise ship crews need work visas for each countries waters they pass through or stop at. Who do you pay taxes to if you code in international waters? What about flight attendants working in air space or being paid a per diem for layovers? How about heads of state meeting their counterparts in other countries? I've never heard of a spy being charged with tax evasion....
Forgive my inerpreted rudeness. I was reacting to you arguing with everyone's relevant posts.
This thread is about making money while cruising, not nitpicking finer points of the law which no one hear is qualified to do anyway since their are no lawyers licensed in every crising destination on earth.
Old 12-05-2016, 21:33   #1282
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Nitpicking points is what the internet is all about...take that away and so goes 1/2 the posts in 1/2 the threads online.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 23:29   #1283

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

In Canada I believe the limitation as someone previously posted as 6 months or 183 days. At that point in time you are obliged to file an income tax return in Canada and declare any income that you earned anywhere in the world. Depending on the time spent in country and reciprocal agreements with other countries that may be in place will determine the amount that you pay to each country. It has absolutely nothing to do with where you earn the money!!!

Right now I am in Australia and have been in Australia for nine months of the past 12. In effect, the Australian government could require me to file an Australian tax return due to the length of time spent in this country even though I am on a tourist visa.

The only way to avoid US taxes if you are a US citizen is to give up citizenship although I believe there is a fairly high tax free threshold for income earned while residing in a foreign country.(70k+) In Canada, the only way to avoid paying taxes is to declare yourself as a Canadian departing Canada and then not reside there for more than 183 days of any year and not earn any income by working in the country during the time that you are there. Of course they will tax you at the time of departure on any undeclared income including potential capital gains above the 750k threshold when you leave but once you have done this then you are golden. You can even own a house there as a Canadian citizen as long as you maintain an address someone else which can be a foreign registered vessel. There are no capital gains on your primary residence unlike a lot of other jurisdictions like Australia or the US. Any corporations that you own would then be treated as a foreign controlled corp and applicable taxes would apply but any dividends that you pulled out would be tax free if your vessel where you live was say registered in the Cayman Islands or some other similar tax haven.

And you can even draw an old age or disability pension if you are entitled as a Canadian citizen even though you do not reside there. I am sure that different countries have different rules but it will always be about residency. When you are granted a work visa it is assumed that you have established residency.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 00:56   #1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Laws we are governed by are open to interpretation hence the need for judges. Scientific laws are black and white which seems to be where your coming from. Do cruise ship crews need work visas for each countries waters they pass through or stop at. Who do you pay taxes to if you code in international waters? What about flight attendants working in air space or being paid a per diem for layovers? How about heads of state meeting their counterparts in other countries? I've never heard of a spy being charged with tax evasion....
Forgive my inerpreted rudeness. I was reacting to you arguing with everyone's relevant posts.
This thread is about making money while cruising, not nitpicking finer points of the law which no one hear is qualified to do anyway since their are no lawyers licensed in every crising destination on earth.
Making money while cruising to me involves figuring out how and where to pay taxes while doing so. All the examples you make are regulated, and in most cases there's very little left to interpretation.

That said I'll stop "arguing with everyone's relevant posts", in the end it's not my problem.

/insert mic-drop gif here
Old 13-05-2016, 03:11   #1285

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
This is a good starting point for taxing laws for individuals internationally in each country
adoxograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 03:12   #1286
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Since I'm about to relo close to its border, here, this is Canada:
If I am a business visitor, do I need a work permit to work in Canada?

"You do not need a work permit to carry out business activities related to your job back home, such as meeting clients of your company or visiting job sites. However, if you plan to carry out secretarial, managerial, technical or production activities or stay longer than six months in Canada, you have to apply for a work permit."

Isn't writing code technical or production? I think it is. So if I sail to, say, Vancouver, can I work from my boat?

Not sure how to answer the where from question. I'm originally Italian, lived (not traveled, actually lived) for years in Denmark and Ireland. About to move to the US. Pick one.
So you are not talking about 'Cruising' per se.. your talking relocation.
To many of us cruising is for example a month in Portugal a couple in Spain.. then the Canaries and on to the Caribe..
What you are talking about is staying in one country from the sound of it in which case it matters not where on the East or West coast you potter to and from.. your Resident In That Country so you pay the taxes..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 03:21   #1287

Quote:
So you are not talking about 'Cruising' per se.. your talking relocation....
International taxation is tricky. There are many countries that may tax income of nonresident individuals. Spain is one of them.

However with all the new technologies this is not longer clear cut. I think any judge in Spain would have difficulties to determine if I have to pay tax in Spain if I get paid working for an Australian university teaching online courses getting paid in Australian Dollars from Australia into an Australian bank account being registered on the Australian electoral roll with an Australian address, doing this while in Spain on an Australian registered yacht, which would be hard to prove in the first place.

To quote an old German saying: Wo kein Kläger, dort kein Richter (No plaintiff, no judge)
Old 13-05-2016, 05:00   #1288
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
International taxation is tricky. There are many countries that may tax income of nonresident individuals. Spain is one of them.

However with all the new technologies this is not longer clear cut. I think any judge in Spain would have difficulties to determine if I have to pay tax in Spain if I get paid working for an Australian university teaching online courses getting paid in Australian Dollars from Australia into an Australian bank account being registered on the Australian electoral roll with an Australian address, doing this while in Spain on an Australian registered yacht, which would be hard to prove in the first place.

To quote an old German saying: Wo kein Kläger, dort kein Richter (No plaintiff, no judge)
To me and doubtless most others the sentence 'Moving to the US of A' infers taking up residence.. unlike for example what MarkJ who is sailing to New York from St Martin for the summer is doing.
Is the guy sailing there.. or flying in.. living on his imported boat or buying one to live on or.. renting/buying an apartment.
From whats been posted by him to date its not even clear if he even has a boat..

[quote] That said I'll stop "arguing with everyone's relevant posts", in the end it's not my problem[quote]

If this is the case what are you waffling about..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 05:14   #1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Nitpicking points is what the internet is all about...take that away and so goes 1/2 the posts in 1/2 the threads online.
Touche.

Quote:
Making money while cruising to me involves figuring out how and where to pay taxes while doing so. All the examples you make are regulated, and in most cases there's very little left to interpretation.

That said I'll stop "arguing with everyone's relevant posts", in the end it's not my problem.

/insert mic-drop gif here
Of course paying taxes is part of making money. Pay taxes to the country whose currency you are being paid in {if} you don't stay more than 6 months in another, or are a u.s. citizen. If that isn't 100% technically lawful at least you will have a clear conscience. Then go sailing. (Insert thumbs up riding off into the sunset.)

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-05-2016, 05:31   #1290

Quote:
To me and doubtless most others the sentence 'Moving to the US of A' infers taking up residence...

... If this is the case what are you waffling about ...
Yes I saw that and I agree with you completely. Not to mention the ridiculous mic drop.

And no that's not what I'm waffling about.

My point is that international tax law is dependent where you from and where you are when earning money and how log you are in each jurisdiction.

Take me as an example. As an Australian in theory I have to pay tax in nearly every country I visit should I earn more money than the tax free threshold while there. The tax I have paid there can later be deducted form my Australian tax burden for all countries that Australia has a tax agreement with. See the list I posted how each country treats international tax.

The magic words here are: In theory

In realty no-one really cares about a family on a yacht and a guy marking uni papers while sitting in his cockpit drinking a glass of white.

Tags
paracelle