Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-05-2016, 07:46   #1291

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So you are not talking about 'Cruising' per se.. your talking relocation.
To many of us cruising is for example a month in Portugal a couple in Spain.. then the Canaries and on to the Caribe..
What you are talking about is staying in one country from the sound of it in which case it matters not where on the East or West coast you potter to and from.. your Resident In That Country so you pay the taxes..
I was talking about cruising. I'm relocating close to the Canadian border but on the US side (Seattle), from there I can cruise to Vancouver and anchor there for a month or two. Then I could cruise up to Alaska, stay a month there, then cruise all the way down to somewhere in California, then Mexico, then Hawaii...
OceanoMare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 08:06   #1292

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCalliroe View Post
... (Seattle), from there I can cruise to Vancouver and anchor there for a month or two. Then I could cruise up to Alaska, stay a month there, then cruise all the way down to somewhere in California, then Mexico, then Hawaii...
Sounds like a great trip. How much time do you plan for this journey?
adoxograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 09:01   #1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Sounds like a great trip. How much time do you plan for this journey?
We would actually continue from there, so (if I figure out how to work from the boat and my assumption wrt bandwidth is correct) probably something like ~ 5 years. Plan is to get the right boat for the job and our requirements/necessities/etc early next year, then prepare her for the journey and sail away in 2018.
OceanoMare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 09:17   #1294

Boat: PEARSON 422

I am a Medical Technologist(lab tech). Like nurses and other allied health professions there are "travelers". Firms recruit and place licensed professionals in to temporary positions in doctors offices, hospitals, reference labs, etc where there is a need. Part of our cruising plan is for me to take a job as a traveling tech(with the caveat that the assignments would have to be close to an anchorage or dockage) and see where we end up. I will have to look in to licensure requirements in the Bahamas and Caribbean, of couse. But right now lab techs are in seriously HIGH DEMAND and obtaining a work visa should not be a problem. Also, my wife has a masters of education and 10yrs experience teaching. According to what I have read on this thread...we should be pretty well set to make money while cruising.
Old 13-05-2016, 16:09   #1295

Quote:
We would actually continue from there, so (if I figure out how to work from the boat and my assumption wrt bandwidth is correct) probably something like ~ 5 years. Plan is to get the right boat for the job and our requirements/necessities/etc early next year, then prepare her for the journey and sail away in 2018.
Bandwidth may be a problem. I have not found a solution yet that fits our needs which costs under 25,000 a year. That's just not feasible. We need about 1-2 GB per day. Any ideas?
Old 13-05-2016, 16:34   #1296
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

If you really think that a cruiser living on a boat earning a living (from $100 to $2million dollar per year) with his laptop aboard their boat is going to run into tax problems with the Country he is visiting....then folks...you haven't been out Cruising yet, because that is about as crazy a worry as trying to find a pump out dock in most places in the world!

Now have a blog and brag about it online or sell things off your boat or do services to cruisers locally that takes work from the local craftsman...sure...but that's just stupidity and you should expect a stupid tax. But honestly, I suggest you worry about something that actually matters like how to earn said living, rather than the hypothetical of paying the non-existent cruiser tax man.

Bandwidth...well that could be a problem.
When I was running my business from the boat in Mexico I was using a 10GB for $45 plan. But I was just doing emails and sending PDF quotes and invoices, so that was pretty small potatoes in terms of bandwidth. As long as I kept my kids from watching cat videos on YouTube, the 10GB lasted about a month.

[Note: if you don't get the reference to unicorn pump out docks, then you definitely haven't been out cruising yet]
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 16:44   #1297

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
... But honestly, I suggest you worry about something that actually matters like how to earn said living, rather than the hypothetical of paying the non-existent cruiser tax man.
As I said its all just conjecturable. No plaintiff, no judge.

I need bandwidth even off-shore. I'm looking for mixed solution, cell (data), satellite, WiFi and need to do more homework for that one. Here in Australia I have a cell pan with Optus 3G. 2$ a day unlimited data, text and calls. (They don't offer that anymore ) But anywhere else? I was looking into satellite broadband, which is ridiculous expensive.

You will not believe it: I agree with you completely and have nothing to add.
Old 13-05-2016, 17:15   #1298
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
You will not believe it: I agree with you completely and have nothing to add.
I don't think I have ever had those words directed at me...ha ha ha....so I should just log off of CF and not come back till Monday morning!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 18:04   #1299

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

I am curious with such websites as Patreon is this even a valid question at this point. It appears that quite a few folks have learned how to keep the cruising kity plentiful just by cruising itself and making videos. Why work at all if you can get 200 people to send you $10 a month? Or does Patreon not turn into that kind of money? Just asking...
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 12:52   #1300

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
I am curious with such websites as Patreon is this even a valid question at this point. It appears that quite a few folks have learned how to keep the cruising kity plentiful just by cruising itself and making videos. Why work at all if you can get 200 people to send you $10 a month? Or does Patreon not turn into that kind of money? Just asking...
This is absolutely a model that can work. You need to offer something good enough that you'll rise above the noise and create a dedicated following who look forward to your next submission. Some percentage of those will want to pay you for your efforts. It's not a big percentage (let's say 1-2%), so you'll need, say 10,000 to 20,000 people to follow you in the model you suggest.

It's really not easy to build that kind of audience. It takes a great product, marketing, and time. As time passes and each channel (blogs, video, etc) gets more saturated, the quality needs to be higher. Delos is amazing today, but their first videos might never have been noticed if they put them out today, for example.

So yes, this model can work, but don't expect it to be easy. It needs to be a labour of love that you hope might make you some money some day. If it does, great. If not, then at least you had fun doing it.
Old 16-05-2016, 12:59   #1301

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
I was talking about cruising. I'm relocating close to the Canadian border but on the US side (Seattle), from there I can cruise to Vancouver and anchor there for a month or two. Then I could cruise up to Alaska, stay a month there, then cruise all the way down to somewhere in California, then Mexico, then Hawaii...
I can't see you having any issue with this. You would be tax resident in the US, not Canada. You would be working for your American company and paying taxes in the US.

Honestly, I think if you look hard enough you might find some sort of document that you can interpret in a way to say that this is a problem. Why are you looking so hard, though? What you're talking about doing is common practice, isn't obviously illegal, certainly isn't immoral, and even if it turns out to be technically illegal is unenforceable. Why try to make it hard on yourself?
Old 25-05-2016, 20:06   #1302

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Bandwidth may be a problem. I have not found a solution yet that fits our needs which costs under 25,000 a year. That's just not feasible. We need about 1-2 GB per day. Any ideas?
I need market data for trading purposes and have never found a solution for less, although if you find one, I am all ears. Until then, I count bandwidth as just a cost of doing business offset by business revenue.
Old 25-05-2016, 22:05   #1303

If you got some network of internet on your boat then you should do more than that!
rubbywilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 07:26   #1304

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I need market data for trading purposes and have never found a solution for less, although if you find one, I am all ears. Until then, I count bandwidth as just a cost of doing business offset by business revenue.
p.s. My comment pertains to when we are outside cell range. Within, Verizon's hotspot through my cell is as good as a land based connection, and dirt cheap IMO.
Old 31-05-2016, 08:32   #1305

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Turning dead animals into a dream job. Seeker stories. YouTube. just throwing it out there.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle