Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-08-2017, 07:53   #1426
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Maybe we need a new forum thread about time machines...
If we go there I want to include transmorgrifiers. Would be really handy to temporarily turn myself into an octopus for those times when I have to reach inside, behind and around something to get to a screw or nut that just has to come out.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 13:15   #1427

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Maybe we need a new forum thread about time machines...
I started one next year. Hang on for a few weeks while I get things sorted out and I will start another one last year.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 23:27   #1428

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

It's just a jump to the left.
And then a step to the right.
Put your hands on your hips...

Let's do the time-warp again...
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 15:14   #1429

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

OK, took two days to do it, but I FINALLY read this thread from start to end. HOLY CRAP...

So we have a ton of ideas, some pretty interesting, some not so much, and some are shady to downright illegal...

I wonder, what would be the issue with installing an excellent high volume watermaker on your boat, then selling the water to other boaties who don't have one? I mean you could give them, say, a gallon or two as a "free sample" or for assistance, but if they need higher volume, then sell it to them. Would the damage and wear and tear on the unit and membrane make this a losing proposition? How about power consumed? Would it be profitable enough to actually do?

I also wondered about teaching mathematics as a seasonal job in ports where you go over and over again. I have a current certification in Florida for Business Programs in grades 6-12 (oddly enough), and am considering adding Mathematics to the certification stack. I know I can substitute all along the Florida coast already in most any topic, but if i were to add more certs, I can add more options for getting paid the higher dollars that teaching within the certified field would generate. I KNOW that would pay for cruising kitty money.

The main daily issue is that I have to wear a proper business attire to teach, and a 27 foot boat is not exactly loaded with business attire storage (though as I am refitting right now, that can be "arranged" to a degree). Subs don't have to work in a specific school every day, and they can do it a day or two here, a day or two there so moving about is not so bad, assuming you get your background checks done for the school each time (in Florida, that is about 72 bucks per county taught in).

The hard part is lining up new work when something halts before you bleed down in mooring fees and daily expenses/repairs, but with conscious effort and a good dingy, I bet you could work something out. The school selection can be done with Internet access on a cell at a prior stop, and you will have wireless access or at least phone signal the entire time.

Now, if you go offshore, things may differ, because I am unsure how high a premium island countries place on education, and whether they have someone there already, but I bet a good sub with excellent references could land a temp slot on an island someplace if they happen to be there at the same time as a teacher needs time out from classes. You should have as many certs as possible, though, to be as flexible as you can, and you will also have to be willing to work on Island time and at Island wages. At least you won't get epoxy in your hair and eyes while teaching mathematics if you are doing it correctly...
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 17:43   #1430

Boat: a sailing boat

To me, there is a challenge with some suggestions in this thread. It is as if many of us assume cruising is sort of like living aboard in third world locations. Sure at times it is. But quite often it is not.

I think to make money while cruising is more about actually cruising in the first place. If you are mostly busy trying to make money, you are likely not cruising. Post elsewhere.

Make your ballast internal. Use gold bars as ballast. Cast the lines in 2002. Cruise slowly round the world. Sell the gold when you need cash for cruising. Replace the void with lead bars.

We called it quits in 2012, having cruised for 10 years. Whatever was left in the bilges we sold and bought a small mountain hut in Switzerland.

Does it really have to be more complex that that?

Cheers,
George
https://www.moneymetals.com/precious...rts/gold-price
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 18:49   #1431

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I think, if it has not been suggested you should look into tutoring with your Math, English and other teachable skills. No suits required, your boat would work for a single or small group, meet interesting folks in every marina and port, no license or permit required, under the radar, post your skills and schedule on bulletin boards. You could always pick up and go if necessary. Meet lots of ladies, maybe do some bartering for things and help you may need yourself. KIS, "Keep it simple"
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 05:16   #1432

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

If you want to teach something in a foreign country - especially a developed one - you'll need at least a temporary work visa - and most often a local certification for the job.

Teaching you language as a "foreign language" as native speaker is probably an exception - because as a native speaker they assume you are fluent in it and have got some education too. The down side is - you have to be quite good at the local language too - to be able to translate and teach.

Sciences are usually universal valid - but methodology of teaching is different in different countries, so you have to adopt to be able to teach.

If you are not so engaged in cruising but more in live-aboard lifestyle in the marina and a local citizen - well then of course you can do any job suitable.

But this is not the question. It was merely "how to make money while being a vagabond and cruising the world"

CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 07:19   #1433

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Invent time machine. Go back to 2009 and buy Bitcoin.

And some Netflix and Amazon stock. . . .
Just go back to yesterday when you had 30 bucks in your pocket. Spend the 30 then go back again. Life of Riley
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 12:16   #1434

I see the complications of teaching in a regular class room situation. But if you are tutoring adults or high school age in your boat do all these rules and regulations apply? I think the key would be to remain below the radar. Perhaps barter your knowledge for their products. Or trade English classes for diesel fuel/repairs. Some of my Spanish tutors can barely speak English but we get along.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:02   #1435
Ape

Boat: Starwind 27

Ok, I've finally slogged through all 96 pages of this thread. To be fair, I kinda glossed over about 95% of the stock crap. My main income will be VA disability payments. I'm already supplementing that income with freelance copy-editing work. We won't ever get rich, but we're doing a far sight better than $500 a month. The plan is for my 1st Mate and I to be a distant memory within the year. We might turn up at some random stateside port every couple years or so, but we plan to be the tannest white people in the Spanish Main.
Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:14   #1436

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You never told me you have a time machine.

Let me give you all of my money to invest. Just send me your bank account number and PIN so I can arrange a direct deposit.

You don't even have to go back to 1985. Just take it to 1997 and buy me a bunch of Amazon.
Time machine...Just send me back to Vegas and the beginning of last NFL season...

All Game Scores in Pro Football History

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...ame-scores.htm
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:53   #1437
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38ft cedar-strip custom design

Hay Ape, but you've cracked it!
If you're doing what you want to be doing and you can sustain your lifestyle through a passive income you are rich beyond measure.
It's nothing to do with an inflated bank account.
Congratulations!
demacsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 14:24   #1438

Well I may take you up on who is the tannest. That is if I ever get the nerve to sail South to the Sea of Cortez. What I am looking for is not only the best way to make money but the best way to save money and still enjoy my present level of living. I think it will be easer to do that 40 degrees South.
Old 11-09-2017, 22:02   #1439
Ape

Boat: Starwind 27

Well, I already have a head start on you by living in South Texas. I'm already pretty brown.
Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:31   #1440

Boat: Mason 44

Just finished watching a news coverage on Bitcoin. Some one asked me to buy some in June when it was about USD 1,800 and now it is USD 4,150 !!

Guess I missed the boat
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle