Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 08:47   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-P View Post
Why is it that there has to be put a dollar sign on every £@‰!" thing? Also, picking up things like shells from the sea for sale is highly immoral.
lol..I feel you. But I'm 95% certain that the person suggesting those things was joking. From start to finish, the suggestions are pretty ridiculous.

If they weren't joking, then the poster shouldn't take offense to my comments.
hydrogonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:34   #107

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Fishing and Fishmongering

I've been thinking about making money but perhaps the best approach is to save money and do so in a way that provides joy and sustenance. Why did it take me so long to figure that out?

I wonder if sailors who love to fish could catch extra fish and sell or barter with other cruisers or even locals who then complete the meal. Imagine a day on the water, sailing from one island to the next. Normally, you would stop fishing or throw back as soon as you caught as much as your need for the next several days but you could be more aggressive and catch extra fish!

When you arrived in port, you put up a fishmonger burgee that you have fresh fish. You could bring to a pot luck where others bring (non fish) food or drink and you'd have a party that didn't cost you a dime. If you have a larger bounty you could sell for a nominal fee or barter for other services. You could also give away and I suspect it would come back in many unforeseen "pay if forward" ways.

Can you catch a fish on a modern sailboat for less than it costs to catch them if all you have to do is watch your fishfinder and make small diversions from time to time?
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:07   #108
E-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogonian View Post
lol..I feel you. But I'm 95% certain that the person suggesting those things was joking. From start to finish, the suggestions are pretty ridiculous.

If they weren't joking, then the poster shouldn't take offense to my comments.
Hah, yeah I was considering the option that he was joking but decided to make my opinion clear just in case
E-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 19:49   #109

Boat: Skookum 53'
One of the keys is living within One's means. The other is putting your money to work for you instead of the other way around. I fish in North America legally, and sell the fish on the market, then put that money to work. The next step is to bring down my desires to a level that meets my income. I don't spend unless I have to, my needs are small.
Old 24-06-2010, 09:51   #110

I agree with Pblais. If you're a cruiser and get caught working illegally in the US it's a minimum 5 year denied entry penalty. That means you can not even enter US waters. Remember just because you have a foreign address; it's not about where you've been, so much as it's where you are, especially when it comes to the US. As a Canadian, through a Free Trade reciprocal agreement, one can stay in the US (as a visitor) 6 months less a day without any visa.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 13:13   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility
I wonder if sailors who love to fish could catch extra fish and sell or barter with other cruisers or even locals who then complete the meal.
The problem is that most places where cruisers are likely to be, there are also very likely to be locals who make their living by selling fish. They are not going to be too happy with you cutting into their business. And when they report you to the local authorities you are going to find that many countries deal very harshly with foreigners who flaunt their immigration laws--especially those concerning working without the proper visas and permits.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 13:27   #112

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Fishing is another disappearing activity - at least the fish have greatly disappeared. Commercial fishing fleets have stripped the oceans and local fishermen have stripped their own fishing grounds trying to supply the resort hotels and other restaurants. In the eastern Caribbean the majority of the local catch is sand sharks, barracuda and small finger fish.
- - Each year snorkeling the reefs I see swarms of new little fish growing up to keep the food chain moving. A month later I see lots of local fishermen stripping the reefs of these fish before the fish get old enough to reproduce. The local sport fishermen in their diesel hungry boats go out for a day and a thousand dollars of diesel to return back with nothing or some "teen-ager" size dolphin, tuna, marlin, dorado or kingfish. The big ones are mostly all gone.
- - If you are a natural "fisherman" and have the know-how you can catch enough to keep your own boat supplied with great fish for dinner. But beyond that the supply of catch-able fish is dwindling dramatically.
- - On the positive side, shark attacks are a thing of the past - yell shark and twenty local fisherman jump the thing and have it ready for packaging in the little plastic trays almost by the time they get back on board.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 19:06   #113

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
Quote:
- - On the positive side, shark attacks are a thing of the past - yell shark and twenty local fisherman jump the thing and have it ready for packaging in the little plastic trays almost by the time they get back on board.

LOLOL gotta love that
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 06:53   #114

Boat: a sailing boat
Sometimes bartering our skills is a good way to keep the cruising costs low when it is otherwise difficult to make some money. I fix your canvas, you fix my engine, we keep our bills low.

At one time I was helping to rebuild a house in Polynesia. I did not get paid in cash but there was a food and drink for every buddy helping. My cost of living was next nil that month, I learned a lot and had the adventure of a lifetime.

This is difficult in developed areas but works well in the remote places.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 14:23   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Yes, many members who know better can't seem to help themselves sometimes. But those posts don't stay up for long, really, and the members who post them aren't doing themselves any favors, either. The funny thing about it, to me, is that political ranters seem to believe they will convince someone of the righteousness of their position, when in reality they're only annoying those who come here to share their love of sailing. Very odd.
I registered an account just so say "Thank you!"
Aximili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 14:40   #116

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit-renard View Post
As for a main income, the job I have lined up for after graduation deals with drug/alcohol and rape counseling...
Sounds good, but although many cruisers could use it... they wont pay much for it!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 14:55   #117
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Sounds good, but although many cruisers could use it... they wont pay much for it!
If Kit keeps the Beer flowing I will listen to any nonsense
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 16:42   #118

Boat: Beneteau 34 2010
At 47 years old, I am making steps towards an early retirement on my yacht plan. I've just finished work on my site which I am hoping will generate a little income with my new boat and I am now working towards my keelboat instructor qualification to add another string to my bow, then maybe after I have learned my trade, it will transfer to the med'?
Old 21-07-2010, 17:50   #119

Boat: Parker, Exuma, 55 feet, Irony
Chartering without a captains lic.

I'd like to do the occasional charter, and/or sunset cruise on my boat, but don't have a CG Captains License. Any way around this, or is it a necessary evil?
Schooner Irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 19:24   #120

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
If you operate outside the territorial waters of a country you can do what you want. However, in the USA waters you need the licenses and insurance and all the bureaucratic necessities before you can charge for crewed charter.
- - In other countries, especially in the Caribbean there are numerous - bootleg operations doing paid charters without benefit of permits, licenses, etc. Just don't get caught like the guy from England/Europe who was weeks late arriving in the South American Country and made all the headlines.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle