Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 11:49   #1066

Boat: Olson 40
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certeza View Post
Congratulations on your returns. To this point, I've actually done a good amount of analysis on MRCI research to determine if any of it is useable for my clients. ...

Anyway, I still strongly stand by my earlier statement that following their seasonal spread trades in a $40K account is VERY risky. It is pretty much a statistical certainty that every year or so you will have a drawdown of at least 50-75% in an account that size. For example, if you had found out about them 3 months earlier, and gone live on May 27th instead of August 27th, during your first 2 months using the system you would've experienced a $20-25K loss. In fact, early this year there was a point where the system lost almost $25K over just a two-day period. Peak to trough drawdown ended up at $32K loss.
I have a friend for whom it works quite well. But he owns a seat on the exchange, AND he charges customers for trades. So house wins.

You are not the house.

If your goal is to win something most days, and lose something just a few days, then this is a GREAT strategy. The problem is that the wins are limited, the losses are unlimited, and the losses DO happen, many times each year.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 14:01   #1067

I love it when people take opposing positions so personally. Isn't this the point of a forum? These are opinions. Everyone is entitled to have them. One should no attack someone else for having an opinion that differs from our own.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 14:29   #1068
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I love it when people take opposing positions so personally. Isn't this the point of a forum? These are opinions. Everyone is entitled to have them. One should no attack someone else for having an opinion that differs from our own.
Too true Mr Shrew.
I just wanted to say that...........

lol
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 17:14   #1069

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Too true Mr Shrew.
I just wanted to say that...........

lol
+1

Like the guy said asked, what is the difference in account type?
Old 09-10-2014, 23:52   #1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
In regards to investing in markets, there are plenty of other threads for that and it would be nice to keep this one about "human labor" or websites as opposed to market timing and traditional market investing <sigh>

I started this thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=125876
But it's petered out.

Matt
Compass 28
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 10:32   #1071

Boat: csy 37

Certeza, excellent post. Unfortunately, some of our "investors" here are younger and have not personally experienced the ups and downs of the markets over the years. The rising markets of the past couple of years has led to "irrational exuberance" in some of them. But at least they are hopefully young enough to recover their losses over time. My preferred investment method is to buy good stocks in bad times. Don't really see any right now, so I'm sitting on the sidelines and collecting dividends...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 06:10   #1072
Armchair Bucketeer

One of the traditional way for broke seafarers to make money is.......

....through Piracy
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 06:13   #1073

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Or collecting tallow.
Old 18-10-2014, 06:34   #1074

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

There's a fine tradition of cutting into mooring lines just prior to a storm, then salvaging the boat. Good honest work. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 06:47   #1075

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

I didnt read all the posts, so this may have been mentioned already. I am making contacts on various islands that I would like to visit, and offering to do relief veterinary work. Nothing definite yet, but it looks good.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 10:28   #1076

Boat: csy 37

Find a small uninhabited island in the tropics with tidal flats and make sea salt. Come back to the USA once a year and sell it to health food stores as "organic".

Of course, the guys that made sea salt a few hundred years ago found it such hard work with so little return they decided to become "buccaneers" instead. But then they didnt have health food stores to sell to.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 10:52   #1077

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I was thinking about diving on a few old wrecks to get gold bars and jewels. Anyone know of one?
Old 18-10-2014, 11:31   #1078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I don't know if this is a joke but if you are talented busking and performing can be done. Don't know if you will finance a voyage with it but it is possible.

You can get sideways with the authorities however, busking on the street without permits or authority to work. My observation is you don't go to jail, you just get told to stop...

In regards to investing in markets, there are plenty of other threads for that and it would be nice to keep this one about "human labor" or websites as opposed to market timing and traditional market investing <sigh>
That sort of thing depends on your target audience - location, location, location!

I took my mom and sister shopping at some fancy shopping mall in San Francisco and I waited outside. There was a guy painted all silver with a top hat, sitting on a boombox playing some top 40 hip hop. He didn't move, like a statue.

Women were streaming out of the mall, and they were throwing bills into his bucket left and right. Nothing smaller than a $5, mostly $10s and $20s!!

In the 15 or 20 minutes that I watched this guy, he cleared at least $150, making his take about $450 - $600 PER HOUR! That's up in the crappy attorney/high end therapist territory of hourly wages.

Considering that he was sitting there and doing nothing, the comparison was almost perfect. LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 11:43   #1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I was thinking about diving on a few old wrecks to get gold bars and jewels. Anyone know of one?
I dove a small wreck right off the beach in Key West, FL as a kid of 13. Another kid told me about it, we went in with snorkel gear and pulled up some artifacts to show my stepdad. The next thing you know, we're back, tying ropes around suitcase sized chunks of hard, tar like material, the decomposed wood from the hull, really stinky stuff.

We took them home and busted them up, getting a lot of sewing pins and needles, thimbles, old fashioned irons (you put coals into a shoe shaped iron with a handle), cannon balls, bottles and a few silver coins. As far as we could tell, the ship sank just before 1900, all of the coins with dates were before then.

It would have been a lot more fun with a vacuum in a sandy environment, but this was more like coal mining in coal that smelled like skunk. We did find a wooden box with a brass plaque from a bank on it, but either nothing was in there or the bills had rotted away long before.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 15:15   #1080

How's that marina working out?
Let us all know how you're going.
I think it would be an excellent lifestyle business.

Regards,
MainMan
MainMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle