Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-09-2014, 18:58   #1051

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Just like with banks in the United States, it varies. Some pay more (generally those with greater risk) and some pay less (generally those with less risk).
Sort of true... Australia is pretty non-existent risk wise and it pays 3-5% very regularly for a basic savings account.

Problem is you have to risk the exchange rate, if US$ goes up, your interest disappears.

Also, need to be careful to report both the account and the interest to the IRS...
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 00:10   #1052

Hello!
I dream of sailing round the world journey. Now gaining sailing experience, pondering the details of the route. And of course ask myself, where I will get money for it?

In this topic several times mention of the possibility of earning musicians. I am a professional singer for many years worked in the classical style, but now I teach a new repertoire, especially for the upcoming trip. Something from Frank Sinatra, something from the Beatles, and even something of the sort.

Tell us if you saw it, how and where to work "sailing musicians"?

I would be very grateful to you!
barittono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:29   #1053

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Here's an interesting article on creating passive income on the web. No easy answers, but a broad guide.

Smart Passive Income: 10 Top Tips From Expert Pat Flynn - Forbes
Thank you for this link! It is gold. Lots of great info on how to actually monetize a website and not"scammy" at all.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-10-2014, 14:56   #1054

I have to give my thanks to Delfin for his recommendation to use Moore Research for spread trading commodities. It has taken a while to learn and I am just now becoming comfortable with my trading techniques. Still, I went 'live' on Aug. 27 and I am up just under $10k, though I'm still not fully utilizing my $40k margin. I don't expect to average $2k every week, but it is an encouraging start. Nice way to fund your dreams.
Thanks again Carl!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
mcbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 14:58   #1055

I am putting together a traveling clown Act and puppet show. Donations in the hat and it's universal; portable & popular!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 15:16   #1056
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbare View Post
I have to give my thanks to Delfin for his recommendation to use Moore Research for spread trading commodities. It has taken a while to learn and I am just now becoming comfortable with my trading techniques. Still, I went 'live' on Aug. 27 and I am up just under $10k, though I'm still not fully utilizing my $40k margin. I don't expect to average $2k every week, but it is an encouraging start. Nice way to fund your dreams.
Thanks again Carl!
My sister works at home part time and makes $4K per week on the internet. You can too. Click here to learn about this unbelievable opportunity that the Feds, Carlye group, and FEMA don't want you to know about. http://www.ScamsToGetRichQuickbySell...bscription.com
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 15:26   #1057

So sad you cannot see that legitimate research used by many firms and brokers can help others achieve something. And it is surely far easier to knock it, than to learn it. Suit yourself, but you are not benefiting anyone, you are just trying to be clever, but you're not.
Old 03-10-2014, 15:38   #1058
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

mcbare,
Just remember what it says so prominently in every commodity brokerage account contract, and has for many decades.

Commodity trading is entirely speculative and you are at risk not only for your entire balance, but for every cent you have put into it as well as any additional losses you may incur.

If you guys have a perfect working scheme, good on you. But for most people, it is more likely that you will lose your "dream" money than make it this way.

Commodity trading, like day trading and all other sorts of financial gambling, are GAMBLING not INVESTING and as long as you know that up front, and can afford to laugh off the losses, you're all right.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 16:27   #1059

Boat: csy 37

Spent much of my life as an active investor. Two of the best ways to lose your life savings are commodity and currency trading.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 18:58   #1060

If you read back in this thread you will see that there are several people who use Moore research, make money, and have offered it up as way to enhance ones income. It is working for us and we wanted to share a successful program. Do you think we want other people to lose their money, or wish harm on them? No. Just trying to help.
But in return our notion is ridiculed by several people who do not utilize Moore Research or seasonal spreads, no nothing about them, and haven't ever tried them. Yet they vehemently spout that "it is a bad idea, it won't work, you will lose all of your money...." I'm not sure what the motive is there. All of the good coaches sit in the bleachers, right?
So the people who use it say it works, those who don't use it say it doesn't. Makes perfect sense.

The linked image below is a screenshot of my IB deposits and withdrawals, with dates, as well as my current account Liquid Value. deposit of $39,0047, withdraw of $2000 (help son with tuition & books), $46.8k left in liquid assets (I don't own anything, my margin is just in escrow...still liquid). That leaves my account mysteriously $9775 up since 8/27. Hmmmm, maybe there is something to seasonal commodity spread trading.

Go ahead and believe or say whatever you want. My cards are on the table, I'm in the game. The others aren't speaking from experience or knowledge, only the delusional self serving desire to seem smart.
This Engineer is out of here.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:08   #1061

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I'm trying to figure out how investing isn't gambling and commodities are. The thing I don't like about commodities is one could argue that free markets don't and shouldn't need or have them. They artificially inflate prices. But that's another thread altogether on another forum.
But back to investing not being a gamble and commodities are. Has anyone ever heard of Enron?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:04   #1062
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, barittono.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 14:10   #1063

Boat: Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbare View Post
Thanks again Carl!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Congratulations on your returns. To this point, I've actually done a good amount of analysis on MRCI research to determine if any of it is useable for my clients. There is some helpful research there. It appears that roughly 1/2 to 2/3 has some legitimate correlation basis, much of which is common knowledge in the industry, while the rest is largely data mining. For those unfamiliar with the concept and problems of data mining, it is when you process a huge amount of data and you start to find correlations that have no basis outside of pure coincidental chance. They are the natural result of statistical probability when you have a large enough data set. Given tens of thousands of data points, just by pure chance you will inevitably have a handful of coincidences.

Imagine you played a dice game where you got paid any time you rolled two dice and they came up with the same number. You have 10,000 identical dice to choose from. Prior to the game, someone has rolled all the dice sequentially 10 times each. You analyze the data and find that Die #214 and Die #853 matched in 9 out 10 previous rolls. Should you favor those two dice in your game? Obviously, the fact that they matched 90% up to this point was just pure coincidental chance resulting from the large data set. This is data mining. It is a hurdle for all of us quant based managers, and a certain portion of MRCI trades fall into that realm. The currency trades seem particularly vulnerable.

Anyway, I still strongly stand by my earlier statement that following their seasonal spread trades in a $40K account is VERY risky. It is pretty much a statistical certainty that every year or so you will have a drawdown of at least 50-75% in an account that size. For example, if you had found out about them 3 months earlier, and gone live on May 27th instead of August 27th, during your first 2 months using the system you would've experienced a $20-25K loss. In fact, early this year there was a point where the system lost almost $25K over just a two-day period. Peak to trough drawdown ended up at $32K loss.

It's nice to look at your account during a stable period like the last couple months and feel good about it, but make sure you are honest with yourself as to whether you could stomach losing $25K tomorrow and Friday. If the answer is "no", then you should rethink things. If you are following all the recommended trades and dates, that type of drawdown is not if, but when. And the answer to the question of when is probably, "sooner than you'd like".

Also FYI, despite the implication of a fair amount of data mining, an attempt by an average investor to cherry pick trades in that system is probably futile and would likely result in worse results. Given the nature of the system, it relies heavily on diversification and "home run" trades. This would be obvious if you look through your trades and notice that of your $9,700 gain, more than 1/2-3/4 of it came from one or two trades, amongst the 20 or so total recommended. Systems that rely on home runs are inherently wildly volatile and the diversification helps to smooth them out a bit.
Certeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:18   #1064
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagorio View Post
I am putting together a traveling clown Act and puppet show. Donations in the hat and it's universal; portable & popular!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I don't know if this is a joke but if you are talented busking and performing can be done. Don't know if you will finance a voyage with it but it is possible.

You can get sideways with the authorities however, busking on the street without permits or authority to work. My observation is you don't go to jail, you just get told to stop...

In regards to investing in markets, there are plenty of other threads for that and it would be nice to keep this one about "human labor" or websites as opposed to market timing and traditional market investing <sigh>
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 17:51   #1065
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

For the poorer sailor, crowdsourcing is one option for funding a sailing adventure. Money is not great, but then you can do it anywhere with a laptop and cell wifi. Pay gets direct deposited and your not taking away from the locals either. For someone with computer skills, programming, webpage development, engineering, cad, etc, it's an option.

Best of all your on a boat and getting paid. Not a bad way to live.

A few sites are CrowdSource.com - Managed Crowdsourcing Solutions, www.odesk.com and others.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle