Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2018, 16:46   #1

Why do people pay for somebody else's fun?

After seeing this video of a couple loosing their rudder () I realized there are many cruising out there having fun and practically bagging for money.
Why would one give his/her hard earned money to somebody else just to allow that somebody else to keep having fun.
I understand some "male" desire to look at pretty women in swimsuits, but is this the reason?
your comments please.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 16:59   #3

Re: Why do people pay for somebody else's fun?

Not entirely sure I get what you mean....but you did ask for comments soo...

I watched some of the video. I could not watch past the first attempt (I presume there were multiple....had to be judging from the first) of fashioning a rudder. Flat board on a round surface with 4 (by the looks of it) little screws installed and some haphazard line attached ? Seriously?
I will admit that I have never had to fashion a emergency rudder but believe me, not only do I have a whole lot of materials and tools aboard to do better than that, I also have way more skill than that.
Ok, so not everybody has such skills....fair enough. But , and perhaps this was your point, if you don't have at least basic repair skills......do not go crossing oceans!

On the upside, makes me feel a damn sight more confident about voyages I am currently preparing for.

OH, late edit: I was not aware this was a well conversed subject. My bad.....plenty yellum but no hittum please boss.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 17:06   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hunter45 View Post
After seeing this video of a couple loosing their rudder () I realized there are many cruising out there having fun and practically bagging for money.
Why would one give his/her hard earned money to somebody else just to allow that somebody else to keep having fun.
I understand some "male" desire to look at pretty women in swimsuits, but is this the reason?
your comments please.
Maybe they enjoy watching folks have "fun" while they actually are relaxing in an environment that offers variety, good/healthy food, sound sleep, clean clothes, challenges at work, and being dry
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 18:03   #5

Uh oh!!! Hahahaha ...

Here we go again. Everyone here knows my opinions on this matter. Thus, what I’ll find interesting is ‘how many pages’ this thread sails until the Mod-sters shut it down.

Kind of like the fun ‘guns at sea’ threads.

I will add this one opinion. It appears by watching that video that the ‘permanent sea vacation’ crowd now has a set protocol.

Dude: “Honey! Check it out! People will pay for us to retire!”
Honey: “Really? What do we need to do?”
Dude: “First, color your hair blonde, and hopefully start playing an acoustic guitar. Next, we’ll buy the same French monohull that the Vagas used. I’ll then crunch my abs a bit, and start learning how to spear fish. Finally, we set up a PAYME account, get a GoPro cam, and hit the waves. That’s it! People will give us their money, forever!”
Honey: “Wow! Really? Do we need to know anything about how to sail a boat?”
Dude: “No, not really. We just need to run around on tropical atolls drinking beer ... me smiling, and you sometimes going topless.”
Honey: “Cool! Let’s do it! That’s better than working. Yay!”
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 18:19   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Uh oh!!! Hahahaha ...

Here we go again. Everyone here knows my opinions on this matter. Thus, what I’ll find interesting is ‘how many pages’ this thread sails until the Mod-sters shut it down.

Kind of like the fun ‘guns at sea’ threads.

I will add this one opinion. It appears by watching that video that the ‘permanent sea vacation’ crowd now has a set protocol.

Dude: “Honey! Check it out! People will pay for us to retire!”
Honey: “Really? What do we need to do?”
Dude: “First, color your hair blonde, and hopefully start playing an acoustic guitar. Next, we’ll buy the same French monohull that the Vagas used. I’ll then crunch my abs a bit, and start learning how to spear fish. Finally, we set up a PAYME account, get a GoPro cam, and hit the waves. That’s it! People will give us their money, forever!”
Honey: “Wow! Really? Do we need to know anything about how to sail a boat?”
Dude: “No, not really. We just need to run around on tropical atolls drinking beer ... me smiling, and you sometimes going topless.”
Honey: “Cool! Let’s do it! That’s better than working. Yay!”
Excellent! I agree with you.

It’s becomes especially pathetic when the cruising pleasefundme couple is on a half million dollar yacht and begins complaining that their patreons aren’t giving them enough to support their cruising lifestyle.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 18:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Excellent! I agree with you.

It’s becomes especially pathetic when the cruising pleasefundme couple is on a half million dollar yacht and begins complaining that their patreons aren’t giving them enough to support their cruising lifestyle.
Haha. Thanks! I’m glad someone here does.

On a side note, I hope your new charter business goes well.
I might drop you a line some day, and go for a sail. I will NOT bring a GoPro cam. Cheers!
Old 19-12-2018, 20:08   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Haha. Thanks! I’m glad someone here does.

On a side note, I hope your new charter business goes well.
I might drop you a line some day, and go for a sail. I will NOT bring a GoPro cam. Cheers!
Baby steps so far, I’m signed up for a captains course in February.
Old 19-12-2018, 21:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Baby steps so far, I’m signed up for a captains course in February.
Good stuff. Have fun and enjoy the course.
Old 19-12-2018, 23:10   #10

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner

Quote:
Uh oh!!! Hahahaha ...

Here we go again.
Some are born with trust funds, others will risk missing out by waiting for retirement, and then some others will ignore your whining and get out there on a shoestring. If a YouTube channel or blog is what they need to do to make it happen, good for them.

Seriously get a life, I'm getting out there.
pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 01:10   #11

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

I totally agree. While we once followed a couple of blogs.
Old 20-12-2018, 01:18   #12

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

[QUOTE=LEOCAT66;2784902]I totally agree. While we once followed a couple of blogs, because we knew the bloggers, we never donated, precisely for your why question. Seems that society has lost much of its traditional values. Today we live in a ME, ME, ME, NOW, NOW, NOW world. Once this trend fades, and it will, those depending on others to pay their way will probably find themselves, relying on the government for income probably having failed to provide for their own future, and we once again pick up the tab.

Those who donate are probably sailing around on weekends on very modest boats, while the free loaders / tin cup bagers are enjoying exotic anchorages on their Hylas etc. on someones else’s dime.
[/E]
Old 20-12-2018, 03:29   #13
cruiser

Please send money to THEIR paypal account so YOU can pay for THEIR broken rudder???? The couple in the video are begging on TV for others to pay for their rudder money so THEY can continue living YOUR dream.

Seriously.... things are really messed up in todays youtubing society.
Old 20-12-2018, 03:36   #14

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC7...oFn5eMyfTnaA8w

I find this guy well worth a watch, he has lots of good survival info and practical information worth watching, already learnt some stuff

These two trust fund babies however, are a disaster waiting to happen

https://www.youtube.com/user/WickedSaltySailors/videos
Metal Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 05:40   #15

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I know this matter has been beaten to death...many times...and usually there is a bashing of the boat owner. There are things I choose not to do, and to go out on an adventure without the resources to be able to support such endeavors is one of them.

That said, you have a choice to support or not, it's that simple. We all know the popular ones who get funded, or even a free catamaran, which I am still astounded with btw. The market will or won't support these people, and in the end things will settle and a few will survive. Those who do support view such patreon solicitations as just another form of entertainment that they are willing to pay for, just like things as Netflix or the like.

I know a few people who do such things, not because they think that they will be totally funded by others, but because doing the unconventional and going out there is in their nature. Yes, sometimes they have been handed everything in life, and just don't know better, and assume that the money tree will just be there when they need to shake it.

Just my .02

Tags
fun