Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2018, 12:05   #1

Boat: CT-41
Support for Voyaging Sailors

Most sailing groups either detest or put strict limits to advertising in their forums. I agree with this policy. I agree even more with the policies of some groups to have a “Merchant Day”, a special category for sailor ads, or other kind of selective advertising limited to sailing stuff.

There is however, one aspect of sailor advertising that’s a legitimate need not fulfilled in the internet sailing community. That is; support for full time live aboard voyaging sailors working their way as they sail. I do NOT mean those with savings, retirement, day traders or online jobs they can do anywhere. These people have an income and know how to advertise their specialty in the domain of their clients. Artists, craftsmen, writers, teachers, and many others with value to contribute both to those where they venture and those back home to whom they report often find them selves without any income in a broken boat thousands of miles from where home was.

One way sailors are today trying to solve that problem is the emergence of internet based “crowd funding” or “crowd sourcing”. I neither endorse nor dismay about these new forms of economy, but point out that it IS a new form of economy that’s not going away and sailors are using it more every day to find support for their voyages.

I would like to hear from sailors who have used Kickstarter, GoFundMe, Patreon, or any similar crowd funding platform to support your voyage or the maintenance or repair of your boat. What was your experience doing so? Do you continue or would you use this method again?
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 13:08   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Support for Voyaging Sailors

I would like to express my distaste for that trend.

I consider it the same as begging hat in hand, and should only be used by those really in dire straits "deserving" of charity.

Delivering content to supporters who contribute payment for educational or entertainment value received via Patreon is different, but I concede there can be a gray area.

That said, my disdain is reserved for the undeserving beggars,

especially the likes of those couples that ran aground in Florida and were "rescued" in the Pacific last year,

but not those contributing, feel free to give your hard-earned money away to whomever you like.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 13:21   #3

I stand with John on that!

Charity for the truly deserving, such as the victims of wildfires and floods and of political refugees is one thing. Begging by those capable of handling a boat in a mid-oceanic hard blow, is quite another. Get thee hence, say I! Go get a job and see what you can do with that.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 13:27   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I dislike it myself, but only because it displays the live aboard cruising community in a bad light.
As it is we are sometimes looked down upon as if we were a bunch of beggars it seems. The term live aboard is discouraged, I often see full time cruisers used now instead.
I don’t want that way of thinking reinforced.
I’d rather be seen a someone who could easily retire in a golf community in Fl, but chose not to.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 13:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i'm green with jealousy,with 25k subscribers,putting out 1or 2 15 minute videos of basic content,together with a patreon base and product placement.
some of them are pulling in $2k a month.

if only i had the skills, some talent,was prepared to edit for 20+ hours a week and looked vaguely presentable.........

given that mainstream TV is absolute crap these days either promoting products you don't need or subliminal social and political propaganda these vloggers are like a breath of fresh air if watched in small doses.
more power to them if they can make it pay.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 14:01   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i'm green with jealousy,with 25k subscribers,putting out 1or 2 15 minute videos of basic content,together with a patreon base and product placement.
some of them are pulling in $2k a month.

if only i had the skills, some talent,was prepared to edit for 20+ hours a week and looked vaguely presentable.........

given that mainstream TV is absolute crap these days either promoting products you don't need or subliminal social and political propaganda these vloggers are like a breath of fresh air if watched in small doses.

I don’t think that is the ones he is talking about, it’s not the ones I was anyway.
Those people have a skill, and I’m sure it took work to acquire the knowledge and equipment and skill to produce etc.
And work.
I could see an argument that at $2K a month, they aren’t making all that much.
However they are providing a product to sell if you will.
I was thinking he meant the ones that had bad luck or whatever and were holding their hand out.
Old 17-06-2018, 14:28   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don’t think that is the ones he is talking about, it’s not the ones AIS was anyway.
Those people have a skill, and I’m sure it took work to acquire the knowledge and equipment and skill to produce etc.
And work.
I could see an argument that at $2K a month, they aren’t making all that much.
However they are providing a product to sell if you will.
I was thinking he meant the ones that had bad luck or whatever and were holding their hand out.
i belive there was a couple just arrested in the USA for selling "tickets to heaven"......like every thing it is a case of personal discretion and let the buyer beware before parting with your cash.

no worse than some charities that for every dollar you gift only 5-10 cents makes it to the needy.
Old 17-06-2018, 14:32   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
no worse than some charities that for every dollar you gift only 5-10 cents makes it to the needy.

Those are crooks I think.
What gets me now is all these causes for “awareness” you know the walk for breast cancer awareness.
What does that mean actually? Do they take the money and use it for advertising?
They are not saying give money to find a cure, they are saying give money to raise awareness.
Old 17-06-2018, 14:43   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Those are crooks I think.
What gets me now is all these causes for “awareness” you know the walk for breast cancer awareness.
What does that mean actually? Do they take the money and use it for advertising?
They are not saying give money to find a cure, they are saying give money to raise awareness.
isn't that what advertising executives are paid to do,with a hefty commision of course...........
Old 17-06-2018, 16:03   #10

Boat: Herreshoff 36

I do it. I have Patreon, PayPalme, blog, YouTube channel whatnot. The idea is accepting payment for the content I provide. Sailing a 22 feet boat now half way around the world, in less than 2 years, I can report, that it doesn't make headlines. I have no half naked girls in the videos though, that might be the problem.

My income from the supports come to an avarge of €100 per month or so. There are extra expenses associated, and of course the work put in. Look up my stuff and decide if it is worth it.

attilavedo.wordpress.com
ahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:41   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

Never done it, seems a bit like begging to me, I have done begging, but that was from individual people, and I asked them face to face. I also got stuck in Bermuda, being ex merchant navy, went to the seamans mission, showed them my book, and they gave me eighty dollars, it went a little way to provisioning my boat for the sail to the UK.

Most people I have met that are sailing, have an income, or they are retired with a pension, there are not many like me, that sail about with just hope of maybe getting some work, there is also a lot of jealousy because people spend years working to pay off there boat, with the intention of the round the world sail when they retire, by the time they get to retirement, they are too ill to go. They don't like the type of people that just take off. I did write a book which seems to bring in a few dollars a month, not enough to live on, but maybe one day it will be, or maybe I will write some more. I spent a year sailing, I had fifty euros when I set off, and a year later arrived in Scotland with zero, and I had gone hungry, I had eaten a lot of fish, and I had picked up a days work here, and a days work there.

I think for me it was a lot more fun than it would have been had I an income, one thing I did in Bermuda, was to go to the dump, and drain the diesel out of the dumped vehicles, after I filled my own tank, i started selling it to the people in Bermuda, they couldn't figure out how I was selling fuel cheaper than BP, I told them when I was leaving, they were amazed, they thought it was all drained I should bill the Bermuda government for that.

If you are interested I covered things in my book, loose cannon on deck.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 17:05   #12

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

I think the crowd funding thing is begging, but a fool and his money are soon parted.

However, if you are a bona fide long term experienced cruiser, then I see nothing wrong with advertising that in a forum like this for those who want to know what its all about.

If a couple or family of potential cruisers are struggling to get their head around the whole concept, just like we did, it would be money well spent to rent a week on board an experienced cruisers boat where total immersion will give far more information and feel than years of Internet reading. There does not even have to be any sailing....
Old 17-06-2018, 17:17   #13

Quote: "isn't that what advertising executives are paid to do,with a hefty commision of course."

From a recent television add for a car - make immaterial: Young man looking ecstatic, driving a very expensive car saying "I WANT this car!"

Salesman "Why?"

Young man: "Uhm, er, like I dunno...'

Saleman, slyly, looking into the camera: "Now THAT is marketing!"

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 17:41   #14
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
i'm green with jealousy

Yes, I completely agree, getting paid to put in all the hard work required **make a living** regularly delivering content that is valuable enough to your subscribers,

even if a fair bit of your popularity comes from just being young and attractive, and showing that off.

That's show biz! and a whole 'nother kettle of fish, nothing to do with just asking for support, poor me.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 17:43   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

If they can fill the need for some Dreamers to feel they are more involved in the reality of Doers....
My attitude is...Who Cares!

I enjoy Delos, they make me laugh and seem like a good bunch, but nothing special.

I'd enjoy a beer with them on the beach, but under BYOB conditions.

When someone attempts to finance themselves by trying to become a "reality star",.... doing what i consider quite ordinary.....

...I view them as not under command and constrained by their egos.[emoji4]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail