Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 16:14   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Glass on a Sailboat

Now that is funny! I laughed long at the row of paddled carcasses under my post!
Old 08-08-2013, 16:57   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I can't remember a boat I've seen that was set up to survive a serious knockdown without any breakage, hatches flying, etc including mine.. Are your floorboards screwed down or otherwise secured?? Will the finger latches not be unlatched when the contents get flung around?? Is everything in the galley when the boat goes over 90 degrees?? Will your dinette table stay in place?? What about those batteries??

Most people don't take the time and considerable effort needed to knockdown proof their boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 17:03   #108
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I can't remember a boat I've seen that was set up to survive a serious knockdown without any breakage, hatches flying, etc including mine..
Doesn't matter! You need to assume that your boat can be knocked down at ANY moment at ANY place, even in protected waters!
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 17:27   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
Doesn't matter! You need to assume that your boat can be knocked down at ANY moment at ANY place, even in protected waters!
Now just who is this "you" that your addressing that has this need to assume? Are these the same people that are driving on the highways that are killed in numbers of tens of thousands each year? On my boat in protected waters on the East US Coast am I with a need to assume a requirement to protect myself from tsunamis, tornados and meteor strikes? Stastistical evaluation of a risk management plan aboard a cruising sailboat never starts with, "Doesn't matter" or a "need to assume".
Old 08-08-2013, 17:31   #110

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Never glass! Only crystal, my good man.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 18:18   #111

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
wow! The voice of experience echoes over the web!!

Are you really convinced of this, mate? Seems a bit conservative to me, for I assume that my boat will NOT be knocked down for the vast majority of my time on board. At the time we did suffer a knock down we were not surprised, for the conditions were horrible, and we thought we were well prepared... and we almost were!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-08-2013, 20:08   #112
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
wow! The voice of experience echoes over the web!!

Are you really convinced of this, mate? Seems a bit conservative to me, for I assume that my boat will NOT be knocked down for the vast majority of my time on board. At the time we did suffer a knock down we were not surprised, for the conditions were horrible, and we thought we were well prepared... and we almost were!

Cheers,

Jim
The only person convinced is Wrong.
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:09   #113
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:

LOL

You need to go cruising

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:24   #114
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
LOL

You need to go cruising
true dat
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:25   #115

Quote:
The only person convinced is Wrong.
How so, mate?

I agree it is good practice to prepare for a broach or knock down. In some places there is low probability such an event is going to occur. Like when your boat is moored in a slip or to a mooring ball. But, even on lakes in some parts of the world, unexpected wind gusts can knock your boat down if too much sail is up. There's a possibility this can happen when sailing in the Caribbean, provided you're not just motoring like most folks seem to do there...

Offshore the chances increase dramatically. Some prominent land masses can produce big seas and strong wind in short order, with a possibility of being broached or knocked down if you're unprepared.

Preparing for the possibility is the prudent thing to do.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:56   #116
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

prepare for possibility but live for today.
be safe but do not stress on it.
live comfortably and have a great time.
live like in a tent and hate the hell out of it.
this is a life experience, not an isolated knock down.
packing a boat for cruising , one takes into account this stuff...
if one is driving a desk and saying he is someplace else, that isnt cruising. that is trolling..
there seems to be a shortage in knocked down boats this season....mebbe wrong would come out and show us the correct way to knock down, as he is so obsessed with that phenomenon.
or mebbe wrong just needs to truly sail something other than a desk farther than merely out of the harbor and back into it again..
in all my years in a windy mooring area with seas and winds, and my sailing thru chubascos and other fun windy days, and sailing, er drifting downhill in pacific, i have yet to meet anyone who knocked down in this pacific within the last 5 yrs. is kinda like a runaway diesel---not frequently happening.
when i was in caribean, we almost knocked down because the owner kept too much sail up in a good stiff breeze....but that was a miss, not actual danger.
in gom, we didnt come anywhere near close to knockdown, despite sailing thru many severe lightning storms with too much canvas up.
the sailor is who keeps the boat upright. smart sailors reef early. the others knock down.

and glass on board isnt gonna be in anyones way when done well. stash in sox and stash those sock filled goodies in tight place. it works, as many who have been cruising many years already know......
i have resided on board boats since 1990 and i have suffered only one broken glass item, and that was the lightbulb on someone elses boat in gulf of mexico....
i think i am doing well.

and i believe even wrong has yen for rum after his sailing and keeps that glass container in a good safe place.

next ........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:10   #117

"mebbe wrong would come out and show us the correct way to knock down, as he is so obsessed with that phenomenon.
or mebbe wrong just needs to truly sail something other than a desk farther than merely out of the harbor and back into it again.."

Zeehag! Love a sense of humour. It is definitely useful when your in recovery mode after a knock down or caught in any kind of challenging situation.

You'll do well if you ever leave the dock...

Hey, you use that program sometimes that makes what you're saying indecipherable?

Very funny.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:11   #118

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Look, guys,

"Knockdowns" in cruising boats don't happen from wind gusts. They happen from sea conditions. Sea conditions severe enough to promote a knockdown (approaching 90 degrees of heel angle) do not just pop up suddenly. Wind waves can develop in a few minutes, but wind waves don't cause knockdowns... it takes developed seas and usually unusual conditions like rapidly swinging wind directions, a big ground swell, shoaling or such to generate knockdown conditions.

For instance, the time we suffered a knockdown we were caught in a rapidly developing "East Coast Low" about 50 miles north of Lord Howe island. Storm force NE winds backing fairly quickly, a big S'ly swell from a storm in the Southern Ocean, and a number of seamounts in the nearby ocean floor. Chaotic seas were generated, and eventually one caught us wrong and down we went.

We had known for hours that this was a possibility and thought we were prepared... the results were as described earlier.

Such conditions do not sneak up on you, and being prepared for a knockdown 24/7/365 is not required for prudent seamanship IMO.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-08-2013, 07:15   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On the right boat, "wrong" could be right. Things could quickly go wrong and not upright on some of those tender featherdusters. Your choices depend on where you sail, how you sail and what you sail.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:38   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Look, guys,

"Knockdowns" in cruising boats don't happen from wind gusts. They happen from sea conditions. Sea conditions severe enough to promote a knockdown (approaching 90 degrees of heel angle) do not just pop up suddenly. Wind waves can develop in a few minutes, but wind waves don't cause knockdowns... it takes developed seas and usually unusual conditions like rapidly swinging wind directions, a big ground swell, shoaling or such to generate knockdown conditions.

For instance, the time we suffered a knockdown we were caught in a rapidly developing "East Coast Low" about 50 miles north of Lord Howe island. Storm force NE winds backing fairly quickly, a big S'ly swell from a storm in the Southern Ocean, and a number of seamounts in the nearby ocean floor. Chaotic seas were generated, and eventually one caught us wrong and down we went.

We had known for hours that this was a possibility and thought we were prepared... the results were as described earlier.

Such conditions do not sneak up on you, and being prepared for a knockdown 24/7/365 is not required for prudent seamanship IMO.

Cheers,

Jim
Not sure what you are describing wasn't a broach. But, not having been there I'll accept your description of the event as a "knock down".

From: knockdown: definition of knockdown in Oxford dictionary - American English (US)

"Sailing an instance of a vessel being knocked on its side by the force of the wind."

Waves are not a factor.

Boats with hatches open when knocked down sometimes sink...

Tags
sailboat