Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 06:48   #1

Boat: looking again
Glass on a Sailboat

I was told absolutely no glass on the boat from my co-owner.(mind you, I found this boat and have been paying slip fees for 3 months before bringing her into the half ownership) I do not like eating or drinking from plastic. I don't think it's healthy and I just don't like the amount of plastic that ends up in our ocean. I feel that if it's is secured during sailing, that a couple of mugs and plates should be fine. Thoughts? BTW, probably buying her out this week since she has become so overbearing in her demands.
Thanks,

Michele
Old 10-06-2013, 06:56   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Glass on a sailboat

We've got some glass glasses and corian plates. We also store lots of things in mason jars. This hasn't been a problem yet. Just store everything sensibly.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:03   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use glass and i use ceramic and i use.... but my plastic glasses are still unused..
i wrap glass with sox for passages..and i stick the wrapped glass items in my defunct fridge box for stowage and safety....except the butter, which i keep in a formerly laura scudders pb jar--butter separates here--i use glass for it for better flavor...and sox work just fine so far....
i have plastic plates for sammishes at wheel, and i have mikasa soup plates--dang i lost one overboard while doing the dishwashing---forgot tto look in my bucket before i tossed bath water for plates..lol..so i only have 2 left... i use ceramic mugs for my coffee--while under way, if passage is smoothish, i use ceramic under way--if it is rough, i use my stanley ss mugs with lids or my 20 yr old favorite--7-11 mug with a fat bottom fro stability....
i have no crystal nor fancy stuff onboard--fanciest is correlle..lol which i use with plastic cutlery...i also have ball jars for drinking if i wish to dig em out of deep storage of dishware...cabinets closed and locked to prevent spillage, and only coordinated folks need crew with me..\lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:07   #4

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hello Michelle! Corelle brand should satisfy your needs; stylish unbreakable dishware and such.
Mauritz
Old 10-06-2013, 07:09   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Buy her out so you do not have remove the items you like onboard.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:10   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

yes buy her/him out---and corelle doesnt make champagne flutes....nor do they make ball jars..those who can do use glass on board.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:14   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Have a set of Corelle for my boat.

I have to wonder that your co-owner is dictating to you what you can and cannot do on the boat. Is this a 50/50 deal? What if you made a rule no plastic on the boat? Don't you have equal rights?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:19   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I have no problem with glass or ceramics on board, I mean its your home. Breaking them is no more an issue in your kitchen or your galley.

Life is too short to eat from plastic plates! ( plastic bowls in a gale , Yes of course !!)

dave
Old 10-06-2013, 07:25   #9
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Corelle is NOT unbreakable. It is harder to break but when it does it makes wicket sharp spikes which are much worse than broken glass. Use it with appropriate caution just like glass or ceramic and if it accidentally falls it will probably be ok. Don't use it as if it were unbreakable.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I have no problem with glass or ceramics on board, I mean its your home. Breaking them is no more an issue in your kitchen or your galley.

Life is too short to eat from plastic plates! ( plastic bowls in a gale , Yes of course !!)

dave
In bad weather I just eat out of the pot.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:42   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hello Michelle! Corelle brand should satisfy your needs; stylish unbreakable dishware and such.
Mauritz

Corelle can break. It doesn't break as easily as other breakable dishes, but it does need to be secured when you're sailing, or really, at anchor.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:50   #12

We started with plastic and found the YUCK factor pretty quickly. We store everything on board so when we're sailing and anchored there is absolutely NO noise. If you do it that way, like zeehag suggested, then you could even use champagne flutes safely! Your boat, your choice, diss the partner, she's crazy.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:57   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
We started with plastic and found the YUCK factor pretty quickly. We store everything on board so when we're sailing and anchored there is absolutely NO noise. If you do it that way, like zeehag suggested, then you could even use champagne flutes safely! Your boat, your choice, diss the partner, she's crazy.

A friend of mine who has beloved glass wine glasses made a very clever rack. They hang from the rack, and a bar snaps (via tight fit) over the open side. They hang from their "feet" and have survived a lot of rough water. He made his out of teak and it looks quite nice.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:25   #14

Boat: Alberg 30
Instead of buying them out. Why not by a set of hercuglass glasses? Glass and incredibly tough.

Pretty drop proof, a similar technology to gorilla glass.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:29   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauimichele View Post
I was told absolutely no glass on the boat from my co-owner.(mind you, I found this boat and have been paying slip fees for 3 months before bringing her into the half ownership) I do not like eating or drinking from plastic. I don't think it's healthy and I just don't like the amount of plastic that ends up in our ocean. I feel that if it's is secured during sailing, that a couple of mugs and plates should be fine. Thoughts? BTW, probably buying her out this week since she has become so overbearing in her demands.
Thanks,

Michele

Corelle is great. It's not expensive, and although it's not completely unbreakable, it takes a lot to break it. It's also very thin, so it stores compactly, something I really value in my galley! But if it flies across the cabin it will break, and there will be some nasty glass shards that are completely incompatible with bare feet. I just use lifeline netting, easily put up and removed, to keep things from flying.

Tags
sailboat