Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2012, 01:56   #31

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: UK Resident Buying in USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Things have changed. A Visa is required by the USA for any people arriving in the country by private vessel. This is a requirement even for citizens of countries that are part of the US Visa Waiver Program. I had to get a visa for this reason, so that I could sail from the BVI to the USVI.
To add to a mention of the cruising permit earlier in this thread, even with a cruising permit each and every boat movement (theoretically including just re-anchoring) requires that the permit holder call in to the nearest CBP office. I got a 10-page list of offices and telephone numbers that I think only covered the east coast of the USA. Fines for not adhering to this rule can be quite high and may also include deportation.
Thanks for that, yeah, I have just read up further and you are all quite correct. Probably should apply for a B1/2 visa for a 10 year multiple entry. According to what I read it can be done at any US consulate but the advice is that it is a little more easily obtainable if outside the USA prior to arrival, ie: Arriving on the Visa waiver program and then applying whilst there apparently can be done but may be a bit more difficult to obtain.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 03:31   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I had heard that one needs to apply in the consulate in the country of residence. When I applied I was living in Oz and had to wait several weeks for the "interview", then my passport was mailed back to my residential address with the visa in place. Be prepared to be asked why one has a visa every time one flies back to the USA; since the immigration officers will wonder why a visa waiver-able person has a tourist visa. On the other hand, as soon as I mention that I sail a boat into/out of the USA they just wave me on and concentrate on the next person in line.
Old 20-09-2012, 05:17   #33

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

BW2812: Haven't read the whole thread, and it looks like you've at least gotten some good (quantity) answer... but you might ping Robin3 (he's posted a couple times in the Liveaboard area) since he just moved here from the UK and experienced various paperwork issues...

-Chris
Old 20-09-2012, 05:29   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
BW2812: Haven't read the whole thread, and it looks like you've at least gotten some good (quantity) answer... but you might ping Robin3 (he's posted a couple times in the Liveaboard area) since he just moved here from the UK and experienced various paperwork issues...

-Chris
Thanks for that. Being new here, how would I find Robin3, tks.?
Old 20-09-2012, 05:33   #35

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Can a sailor not announce his arrival at a US port and be issued a clearance/visa to remain at all from US customs/immigration?
The cruising permit is for the boat not the person.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 05:00   #36

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Thanks for that. Being new here, how would I find Robin3, tks.?
See this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rum-86591.html

You might also Google "Loopy Kiwi" -- although different residency, they're here in the US now doing the Great Loop, so he's had some experience with the situation, too.

-Chris
Old 28-09-2012, 09:40   #37

Boat: Passagemaker Lite
Send a message via Skype™ to Ataraxia

Remember that if you were to bring back your boat to Europe or one of its overseas territories, Martinique, Guadeloupe, St Maarten, St Barths, Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Montserrat, Anguilla etc you will have to have a CE marked boat.
Ataraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 10:47   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataraxia View Post
Remember that if you were to bring back your boat to Europe or one of its overseas territories, Martinique, Guadeloupe, St Maarten, St Barths, Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Montserrat, Anguilla etc you will have to have a CE marked boat.
Forgive my ignorance but what is a "CE marked boat"?
Old 28-09-2012, 11:01   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance but what is a "CE marked boat"?
CE is a set of specifications and/or safety standards that boats owned or registered in the EU have to meet.

Due to differences of opinion between US and EU in certain areas like propane installations, electrical wiring and similar, US built boats may require a good bit of modification to be sold in the EU.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 12:20   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
CE is a set of specifications and/or safety standards that boats owned or registered in the EU have to meet.

Due to differences of opinion between US and EU in certain areas like propane installations, electrical wiring and similar, US built boats may require a good bit of modification to be sold in the EU.
Thanks Skipmac, it won't affect me, as based on all the hassle/costs I would have no inclination to bring it to the EU/UK.
Old 28-09-2012, 13:24   #41

Although mentioned once before, property tax is different than sales tax. Some states/and/or counties within states impose recurring property tax on boats. At least in my county, it is difficult, hard, almost impossible to provide you no longer reside in their county if you move. Be prepared.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 14:16   #42
cruiser

As a UK resident and British subject, why not register the Yacht in Guernsey or Jersey, in the Channel Islands? No sales tax, no property tax, no VAT tax. If the yacht is beyond a certain age when you return to the UK, then it might be VAT exempt at that time.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 14:46   #43

I think if it were me, I would be tempted to move the vessel out of the USA and to register the vessel as a UK part 1 at an appropriate time. You will have no VAT liability unless you attempt to enter the EU.

Close reading of the regulations a few years back when I exported my boat from the UK VAT-free made me realise that any boat owned and skippered by an EU citizen needs to have VAT paid on it.

However, the reality of being checked is interesting. We have never been asked for proof that VAT has been paid when stopped but we have only been stopped once. Further reading brought to light that the VAT status is a matter for the country the boat is registered in and not a matter for the state that the boat is currently in. There's a lot more on this in the YBW forum in the UK regarding VAT status 'in the med'.

All in all, you can register in the UK for very little and not pay any tax at all in the USA as long as you move the boat out of FL within the 90 days allowed. So buy the boat, register it in the UK. Its only 50 miles to Bimini - pop over there, pop the UK flag on and come back (after 14 days) and ask for a cruising license issued to your UK-flagged boat - you're then good for up to a year as far as I know.
jram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 21:39   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jram View Post
I think if it were me, I would be tempted to move the vessel out of the USA and to register the vessel as a UK part 1 at an appropriate time. You will have no VAT liability unless you attempt to enter the EU.

Close reading of the regulations a few years back when I exported my boat from the UK VAT-free made me realise that any boat owned and skippered by an EU citizen needs to have VAT paid on it.

However, the reality of being checked is interesting. We have never been asked for proof that VAT has been paid when stopped but we have only been stopped once. Further reading brought to light that the VAT status is a matter for the country the boat is registered in and not a matter for the state that the boat is currently in. There's a lot more on this in the YBW forum in the UK regarding VAT status 'in the med'.

All in all, you can register in the UK for very little and not pay any tax at all in the USA as long as you move the boat out of FL within the 90 days allowed. So buy the boat, register it in the UK. Its only 50 miles to Bimini - pop over there, pop the UK flag on and come back (after 14 days) and ask for a cruising license issued to your UK-flagged boat - you're then good for up to a year as far as I know.
We have covered all of this. I will be liable for sales tax if I return to Florida within 6 months, so the 15 day period is not applicable to the sales tax. It is only applicable to the cruising permit, which is valid for a year and then you can't apply for another one before 15 days has passed. Also, I have spoken to the manager of the SSR in the UK and he informs me that the UK require original documentation relating to the bill of sale going back 5 years.

Frankly, for me there is just way too much red tape here in the UK/EU and I have zero interest in registering a boat here if bought elsewhere.

Tags
buying