Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 05:43   #1

Boat: Mainship 34’
Send a message via Skype™ to chatelaine60
UK Nationals Buying Motorboat in US and Keeping it in Florida ?

Hello. First I have no idea how to post anything in which Forum. Can anyone help me out here please?
We have just joined your cruisers forum and hope someone can help us out with some info on the US. We plan to fly to Baltimore (because we have US sailing friends there) to buy a motorboat this November, probably around 34-36'. It must have diesel engine or engines. Our problem is that we cannot find any information as to any pitfalls about us as UK people first purchasing a boat in the US and secondly basing it there where it will be laid up ashore for about 8-9 moths a year. We plan to base it at Indiantown marina in Florida and use it to cruise up to 3 months at a time, mainly in the winter. We do know there is a use/sales tax of 6% but as it will be then Uk registered do we have to pay this or pay for an annual cruising Decal from US customs etc? Also we are still investigating insurance cover? Any information /advice would be appreciated, even advice on a decent broker in or around Annapolis-Baltimore area. I think we can open a US bank account using a mail forwarding service address?
chatelaine60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:06   #2

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"
I am not sure but I believe you can leave the boat on a us registration and still use and own it, it saves cruising permit woes. perhaps somebody can expand on this??
Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:12   #3

Buying in USA

Hi, I have done all that you are planning, there are some little ringkles that you should know. If you email me will give you all the help I can, have a look at graigslist site on the net listed in City form. regards Peter
hideaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:08   #4

Sorry Peter. How do I find your e-mail address to write to please? Ours is chatelaine60@hotmail.com

I am not sure either what a Graigslist site on the net listed in City form means??? thanks for the offer of help though and look forward to picking your brains.
Sue
Old 09-08-2008, 11:17   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, Sue.

Welcome to the Forum! To help with a few of your questions...

To send an email, click on "hideaway", and select "View Public Profile". Then look under "Contact Information" and select "Send a message via email to hideaway".

The State of Florida has a website that covers much of the information that you're looking for: Florida DHSMV - Facts For Florida Vessel Owners and Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

If you purchase a boat in Maryland, you can fill out a form stating that you will be moving the boat to Florida, and you won't have to pay Maryland sales tax. I believe they give you 30 days to make the move, but you should check that important fact. No need to pay the tax man twice if you don't have to! I bought my boat in Maryland and moved it to Virginia, and only paid Virginia tax. Make sure you get all the paperwork correct--it can be confusing, and a mistake can cost you dearly. A good broker can be of help.

I am a U.S. citizen, but I live outside the Country. I've been able to successfully set up credit card and banking accounts using a Personal Mail Box at a mail forwarding service located in Florida called St. Brendan's Isle. Many full-time cruisers use them or similar services. You might be able to use the mailing service address for your Florida boat registration. I'm not sure what the implications of your being a UK citizen would be in this regard. You could contact them and ask. Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle

Hope this is helpful.

p.s. I moved your post to a more appropriate forum, where it should get more views.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:37   #6

Hi Hud. thanks for that. I think we are beginning to get somewhere with all this now. Would still love to hear from anyone else who has already been there and done this!
Sue
Old 20-10-2011, 17:50   #7

Re: UK nationals buying motorboat in US and keeping it in florida?

Does anyone else have any info on this by chance? Im looking to do the same i know the post is pretty old but did end up doing this in the end?
Fishbowl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 01:08   #8

Re: UK Nationals Buying Motorboat in US and Keeping it in Florida ?

Hi. Yes we eventually bought a Mainship 34' in Florida and keep it at Indiantown marina. We still have it on a GB SSR registration. If you would like to send me your e-mail address I will reply direct.

Tags
florida