Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 11:04   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: i keep peeving tugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i guess he was waiting for the other tug, and expected me to wait as well.
Have a squiz at the chart for that area. Maybe theres a lay over spot in a narrow channel because barges can't fit except singly.

Some local knowledge things can be a bit difficult to work out in the first place. Maybe someone at the Marina you stop at knows of some local rule.

Or give us the L&L of the exact places its happens and maybe someone here knows, or can check their chart for you

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 05-07-2013, 11:04   #32

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Any aspiring scriptwriters out there? I think we are developing enough material for a reality tv show here. This could really get interesting, plotting weekly shows on some guy who goes down to his boat, puts the ignition key in and.........? It could actually be educational, insurance companies would probably fund it, and there would be enough foul language and blood on the water that ratings would soar. So far, I count at least three potential disasters that could qualify.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:07   #33
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Any aspiring scriptwriters out there? I think we are developing enough material for a reality tv show here. This could really get interesting, plotting weekly shows on some guy who goes down to his boat, puts the ignition key in and.........? It could actually be educational, insurance companies would probably fund it, and there would be enough foul language and blood on the water that ratings would soar. So far, I count at least three potential disasters that could qualify.
no, i just think people see "major danger" where there is very little.
the tug waiting for the other tug at worst was slowed down,
not in danger.
the tug going down river made it just fine.
again, no danger. the blasts could have just been,
Five short blasts: I am unsure of your intention
Old 05-07-2013, 11:12   #34

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Radios are cheap, I have two hand helds. mine are usually off since I can't get to any water that a tug can reach with out driving for hours and hauling the boat. But when I am where they are, the radio is on and scanning. Its fun to talk to those guys, or just to hear their chatter.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:15   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
This is the best argument for an AIS receiver in your VHF radio.

A few weeks ago while out sailing, winds were light and a tug with barge was headed towards me on an almost perpendicular course. As the distance closed, knowing the name of the tug allowed a direct radio call and wherein I advised that I would clear his path by holding course and increasing speed by firing up the engine. The radio call was acknowledged and thanked.

Probably would have helped in your case also.

As I do not have a transponder, the tug would not have known my name. A radio call to "the white sailboat" would have solicited several responses.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 05-07-2013, 11:28   #36

Boat: Skookum 53'

I hear that a lot, "to the vessel off my port bow". Now how on earth would anyone know whom he is addressing? No name no L/L no point of reference at all, you just have to guess who it is directed at.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:30   #37

I am amazed.

You have a 45 foot boat.

Can't you just plunk down $100 for a handheld radio?

You are a disaster waiting to happen by extending your ignorance and arrogance of the needs of safety.

Safety - it is the issue. Yours and those around you.

What if someone was hailing on CH 16 in distress less than 1/2 mile away from you?

I remain amazed.

West Marine has a sale on one of its HH VHF models, $99.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 05-07-2013, 11:42   #38

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
i didnt count. i didnt realize they had blasts for red to red, green to green, and such. it translated to me as ahole noise.

the reason i do not use the radio right now is the PO mounted it at the nav station, and thats great, if your down below with the engine off... there will be two radios when i am do
i used to be faster....
Do you have a handheld VHF?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:07   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I am amazed.

You have a 45 foot boat.

Can't you just plunk down $100 for a handheld radio?

You are a disaster waiting to happen by extending your ignorance and arrogance of the needs of safety.

Safety - it is the issue. Yours and those around you.

What if someone was hailing on CH 16 in distress less than 1/2 mile away from you?

I remain amazed.

West Marine has a sale on one of its HH VHF models, $99.
i have 3. still do not see a need for them.
we are in the hudson, people today can swim. i suggest they swim to shore, not newport RI.

the issue i find with handhelds and channel 13 is range. its about 1/4 mile max. i use to use one on my jetski for locking. they suck. yes, i could throw money at the issue, have one installed by the shop, new wires run, ECT. but i will not. not when people can have a daysailor and no radio. ocean, sounds yes, you should have one, small rivers, its questionable.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:25   #40

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have to say, Scoobert, you sure are pigheaded. You are wondering why the tugs are sounding their horns yet you refuse to buy a handheld to actually find out. They are cheap and they work for far more distance than a quarter mile. You may not care about your own safety but it is about more than YOUR safety. It is about all the rest of us too. Citing your personal interpretation of the rules AFTER you cause an accident will be no consolation to those you injure or whose boats you damage. Get your head out of your rear and go buy a proper handheld vhf. If you refuse to read the instructions that come with it, then just put it on 16. That is what everyone else out there is doing.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:26   #41

Boat: Mainship 34, Flying Scot

Not that it's really important to this conversation, but the Hudson isn't really a small river. And if your repeated experiences haven't made it clear to you that you need some more knowledge of the rules of the road and to have the ability to communicate with others (particularly when those others have a restricted ability to maneuver), then you're being more than just a little hard headed.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
i have 3. still do not see a need for them.
we are in the hudson, people today can swim. i suggest they swim to shore, not newport RI.

the issue i find with handhelds and channel 13 is range. its about 1/4 mile max. i use to use one on my jetski for locking. they suck. yes, i could throw money at the issue, have one installed by the shop, new wires run, ECT. but i will not. not when people can have a daysailor and no radio. ocean, sounds yes, you should have one, small rivers, its questionable.
First, you aren't driving a daysailor or a jet ski. You are driving a full sized boat in what sounds like a crowded, busy and potentially dangerous commercial shipping channel. This excuse is like pilot of a Lear Jet flying into a commercial airport complaining about having to carry more electronics than the guy flying a Piper Cub off a dirt field.

And if your handheld VHF only gets 1/4 mile range throw it in the garbage and get a new one. Any half decent handheld should get at least 4-6 miles on transmit and 15-20 on receive.

By the way, hard for someone to swim if they are unconscious in the water after a collision with a barge. Broken arms are a bit of an impediment as well.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:32   #43

Boat: Skookum 53'

Well the problem will soon be solved if he continues on this line of action, soon he will end up under a tug or barge and the only consequence is the Tug Captain having to live with the death, regardless of the fault. And any loved ones he leaves behind.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:37   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Well the problem will soon be solved if he continues on this line of action, soon he will end up under a tug or barge and the only consequence is the Tug Captain having to live with the death, regardless of the fault. And any loved ones he leaves behind.
my goodness what a drama queen. are you my mother in law?
or out of things to do today? i know that feeling...
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
I have to say, Scoobert, you sure are pigheaded. You are wondering why the tugs are sounding their horns yet you refuse to buy a handheld to actually find out. They are cheap and they work for far more distance than a quarter mile. You may not care about your own safety but it is about more than YOUR safety. It is about all the rest of us too. Citing your personal interpretation of the rules AFTER you cause an accident will be no consolation to those you injure or whose boats you damage. Get your head out of your rear and go buy a proper handheld vhf. If you refuse to read the instructions that come with it, then just put it on 16. That is what everyone else out there is doing.
no, sorry i have two that are the best floating radios made 4 years ago. 1 watt is 1 watt. and without a proper antenna, they will not go 4-6 miles. and may receive any distance, except channel 13 is restricted to 1 watt.
Closed Thread