Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2013, 13:39   #1

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Big Brother Is Watching

This should stir up some discussion. Posted in the Daytona News Journal, Cameras to provide view of Intracoastal Waterway through Flagler | News-JournalOnline.com . I really liked this one paragraph...

"Should a large vessel wreak havoc by motoring through too fast and “swamp the little boats,” a 9-1-1 dispatcher will be able to watch what is happening in real time and respond appropriately, Laundrie said."

Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 13:42   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Big Brother Is Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
This should stir up some discussion. Posted in the Daytona News Journal, Cameras to provide view of Intracoastal Waterway through Flagler | News-JournalOnline.com . I really liked this one paragraph...

"Should a large vessel wreak havoc by motoring through too fast and “swamp the little boats,” a 9-1-1 dispatcher will be able to watch what is happening in real time and respond appropriately, Laundrie said."

Chuck

Good. I was deliberately waked by a Sundancer in the Manatee River. He threw my boat side to side well over 45º. Fortunately my cat was in her carrier in the cockpit. I was able to grab it and keep her safe. If children had been in the cabin, they could have been badly hurt.

Apparently he thought it was just funny to circle around a sailboat with both engines blasting.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 13:44   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

sounds good to me
Old 27-08-2013, 14:15   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I'll believe it when I see it. Having gone up and down the ditch a few times I have heard many complaints and calls to the authorities regarding being waked. The only time I saw the authorities respond was when a seemingly drunk singlehander on a Catalina 30 said that he couldn't take the waking anymore and would shoot the next guy who waked him.

We all get waked from time to time. I don't really get mad anymore. After all, it's a sailboat on a waterway. A bit of rolling should not do any damage. You should be ready for this when you're underway, wherever you are.

If I'm underway and trying to make a bridge opening and a kind soul in a powerboat calls about a slow pass I'll tell him to fly right by as I'm not slowing. Actually sometimes there's less rolling this way than when an inexperienced power boat operators tries a slow pass and makes things worse.
Old 28-08-2013, 05:12   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I'm conflicted here. Not sure I'm ready to live in a world of Big Brother, but in many ways we're already there. And being able to get photographic evidence of some of the moronic things I've seen is very tempting.

As for actual enforcement, that would depend on the knowledge of the authority in question. As was pointed out, slowing down a planing hull is going to produce more wake, not less. The whole idea that speed is the only thing that affects safety is as wrong-headed on the water as it is on the highway.

And I don't want to give any more power to the "wake nazies" who scream obscenities on VHF 16 at a passing boater because the little umbrella fell out of their drink. Half the time the offending boat is long gone by the time the wake reaches them, and the object of their wrath is just an innocent bystander. If you're underway or moored in a busy waterway, you should be prepared for some rolling.

Still, seeing some justice for the type of arrogant SOB described in Rick's post would be nice.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 05:18   #6

Wow, combine this with Florida anchoring restrictions and I wonder what to think of the "authorities" in that State now.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 05:49   #7

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

If they preform enforcement action for wakes, and will they also be enforcing the Rules of the Road? The knife cuts both ways. I have more then a few grey hairs from sailboats that didn't know the rules.
Old 28-08-2013, 06:18   #8

Actually, the mentioned cameras are for public viewing. Which is kind of cool. The rest of the cameras, they won't tell you about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
We all get waked from time to time. I don't really get mad anymore. After all, it's a sailboat on a waterway. A bit of rolling should not do any damage. You should be ready for this when you're underway, wherever you are.
Having a smaller boat, we've pretty much resigned ourselves to the fact that we're gonna get waked regularly, both by the innocent and the ignorant. It's a normal part of our routine to briefly interrupt a conversation by saying 'wake', and turning to cross the wake, then just carrying on.

Fast (planing) boats passing close are annoying, but their wake is usually not bad. The worst are those stacked cruisers running over hull speed but not planing, and pushing up tons of water. Only consolation is that they're spending on fuel every 5 minutes the equivalent of my annual boat gas budget.

Fewer powerboats and motoring sailboats have tried to run us down or cut us off this year. That's an improvement.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 06:32   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The only time I saw the authorities respond was when a seemingly drunk singlehander on a Catalina 30 said that he couldn't take the waking anymore and would shoot the next guy who waked him.

This guy should have considered my method- my tournament paintball gun when cranked up fires at 350 FPS and full auto at over 20 rds per second. With the 350 round hopper I can paint one side of a waking powerboat in about five seconds. No one gets hurt, message gets sent. If they call the law they get to explain why their fast moving powerboat was within paintball gun range of your boat. Done it twice now, both times in narrow channels in the San Juan's notorious for waking. A VHF screaming match did indeed ensue both times. Usually you can see these morons coming a mile away and be ready for them! I have small children, no patience for dangerous shenanigans. I'm sure CG heard about it on the radio, they said nothing.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 06:47   #10

Too bad enforcing the law regarding vessels being responsible for damage caused by their wake cannot be practically enforced. Can't be because there is never a proper authority around to enforce against an offender when it happens. Others have already noted that the offender can be out of sight before the wake wreaks havoc upon another boat, dock or jetty along the shoreline.

The fact is, wakes can be very dangerous to the occupants of boats underway or at anchor; and cause significant damage to docks, shoreline and jetties. Not a laughing matter or something to be shrugged off.

My experience transiting the Gulf Coast I.C.W. is the commercial vessels respectfully slow when passing pleasure craft. The repeated offenders are, you guessed right, the deep draft power boats. No matter where I've been in the world, it's always the same offenders. Enforcement against these anti-social jerks is difficult, but increasing the presence of entities with authority to enforce speed and no wake laws - whether as observers ashore or in boats, is needed.

The only people who will poo poo complaints against wakes caused by passing vessels have not yet been caught off guard and possibly made to fall; or had to pick up a broken laptop or other item from the sole.

It is a serious offence and should be treated that way.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 06:47   #11

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Minaret: I like the paint ball idea. You and I would get along great me thinks! Question. What color should I use for say the 60 foot viking that keeps waking our long established anchorage and wrecking havoc with all the cruisers here. I really want somthing that POPS, you know kinda say's "look at me I'm an inconsiderate pinhead". Bright pink or green, maybe a whole rainbow of colors like his boat got attacked by a ginormous Costco bag of skittles.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 07:00   #12

Can the 'paint' you use be easily washed off? And, what's the chance you'd be charged with some kind of assault or property damage? I can think of some smokers I'd like to treat the same way!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 07:12   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

projectiles from boats have a special kind of maritime law act of war thing going on...lol...(was the splainmeloosey answer i was given in sin dieeego when someone was popping em off at yachties'
boats.) have fun

as for big brother---he is watching not for controlling wakes which the authorities could not give a tinkers dam about--but in location of boats they want to know about--is in smuggling of humans and guns and drugs as well as locating option, ultimately , for big bro to find those of us who still refuse to use ais.

use your thinking caps and have a wonderfully controlled life. you are being watched like a hawk by a big bro with questionable intentions.

wake control.and they believe it..rodlmao.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 07:16   #14

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Good...I rarely throw a wake worth worrying about and after watching miles of my miniscule wake the 911person might tell all the "concerned" homeowners and other boaters to "get a life"....

Some people complain over the smallest wakes...so I'm hping that it is a 2 edged sword.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 07:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you are being watched like a hawk by a big bro with questionable intentions.

wake control.and they believe it..rodlmao.......
As mentioned, the few cameras discussed in the article will be publicly accessible online.

The other 90% of the cameras... I've said too much.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot