Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 07:04   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Shallow Dive System for Bottom Care

I have no doubt that this thread will include cautions posted by those aware of the dangers related to this type of activity. I welcome them and every one should take them seriously. Gas pressure injuries, carbon-monoxide poisioning and lung damage from particulates are some of the potential problems from not operating a safe system properly.

With care for these risks I purchased an oilless 120V 6 gallon air compressor that I can run from shore power at the dock or with my generator at anchor.

I attached a particulate filter / water separater to the compressor's outflow from the primary regulator with quick relaese fittings.

Attached after the filter I have a 50' air hose and a quality secondary scuba regulator.

I might find a bit of recreational application in some shallow reef areas with moorings, but my intent is to be able to casually inspect, clean, change zincs. etc. I set the primary regulator on the compressor at 125psi. There is, of course, a safety pressure release valve too.

The Porter-Cable C2002 compressor was purchase online for ca. $140. The air hose, filter & some connectors were purchased at Harbor Freight for ca. $80 (I think -'can't find receipt). I bought the used secondary regulator from a diver friend for $75. I'll need a little more weight in a belt without the tanks, but the dive wear I have, - including the hood which I find essential with all the organic bits in the soup while bottom cleaning.

I have diving experience an I'm confident with this apparatus, but please be attentive to the cautions!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:19   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Shallow Dive System for Bottom Care

DO NOT use pneumatic tool hose as breathing hose.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:39   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
DO NOT use pneumatic tool hose as breathing hose.

He is absolutely right. Visit a dive shop and buy what I believe is called food grade hose. We have local dive shops that will put the whole thing together for you. A lot of the local divers who clean bottoms use a similar rig,

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:26   #4

Boat: Bristol 35

I"m an engineer in the Dental industry- designing torture chambers - we use water air seperators on the utility side- for the air the dentist is blowing in your mouth- our cost for those filters is over $200 so I'm not sure I'd trust a cheap one. Granted we must pass regulations but there's a reason for those regulations- safety.
I also met a woman that got seriously ill from using a similar get up- took her over 5 years to completely due to the respitory infection she received and the related medications to clear it up.
Be very careful- I'd hate for something to happen to you.
That being said it is very tempting to go this cheaper route and I've looked at it my self but one thing I would do is purchase a really good filter.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:33   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The air/water separator is uneccessary in a hookah. What you want is an in-line particle filter.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:41   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My Father was a Dentist, his Victor O2 reg for Nitrous was identical to my welding O2 reg, just cost about 5 times as much, probably certification and product liability costs, but still reg was identical.
Replace the hose and you will be fine, there are hundreds if not thousands of people using those cheap vibrator air compressors for breathing air.
I say replace the hose as I have no idea of what kind of chemicals a non breathing hose may or may not be off gassing, and hose just isn't that expensive.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:44   #7

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

You should use food-grade hose and a particle filter. Food-grade hose doesn't have to be expensive. Also, use a harness to attach to your back where you connect the short hose and the long hose -- so as you swim along the hose doesn't try pulling from your mouth. On the hose, you may find it useful to use a color that is easily visible in water.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:00   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Also, use a harness to attach to your back where you connect the short hose and the long hose -- so as you swim along the hose doesn't try pulling from your mouth.
A harness is overkill.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:03   #9

Quote:
A harness is overkill.
Yes, that's perfect. You need something, though.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:04   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Yes, that's perfect. You need something, though.
I know plenty of hull cleaners who simply route their air hose under their weight belt when donning that particular item. A little too ghetto for me but it works for them.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:28   #11

Quote:
I know plenty of hull cleaners who simply route their air hose under their weight belt when donning that particular item. A little too ghetto for me but it works for them.
If they have a weight belt, sure. If one is skin diving, though....
Old 11-09-2014, 08:31   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Is it possible to forget the compressor and simply use a long snorkel? Say a float with snorkel and 8ft of hose attached? Anyone try this or is the length of hose too difficult to breathe through? On second thought, I guess you wouldn't be expelling the air, just recirculating your breath in the line...scratch that idea !
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:32   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Is it possible to forget the compressor and simply use a long snorkel?
No. It is physically impossible to breathe through a snorkle at a depth of more than about 3'.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:38   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
No. It is physically impossible to breathe through a snorkle at a depth of more than about 3'.

If you can do it below 2", you da man. I tied it as a kid with the garden hose and never did understand why it didn't work, well at least not for a few years anyway.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:46   #15

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Its worth mentioning - If you take a breath on the surface and hold it while you descend and return to the surface, you will not dammage your lungs. If you take a breath while just a few feet down and hold your breath to the surface you can dammage your lungs.
Even on hooka you should be aware of the dangers.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote