Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 09:52   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Shallow Dive System for Bottom Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The OP is using a weight belt.
Yes, and thirty pounds at that! I need more weight than with the tanks on my back. I had the plan to tuck the hose attachment to the secondary regulator hose under the velcro strap at the back of my neck. I do see the ease of the hose support connection to the weight belt. I'll likely do both.

Thanks for the thoughts of the hose. I've only tried my system for a few moments on deck and I was concerned about the "taste" from the hose.
The local diver, whose system I've copied, had advised me that this was temporary and of no concern, but I will follow the cautions of those recommending the "food grade" hose. My filter includes the water separation bowl, but it does contain the fin particulate filter element.

Don't hesitate to express any other concerns. I'm thankful for those expressed and I don't take any of these cautions lightly.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:09   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
...I was concerned about the "taste" from the hose.
The local diver, whose system I've copied, had advised me that this was temporary and of no concern, but I will follow the cautions of those recommending the "food grade" hose.
It's definitely a concern. Non-breathing hose can off-gas toxins, like dioxin. Not all hull cleaners get into the biz because of their high IQs.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:31   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
It's definitely a concern. Non-breathing hose can off-gas toxins, like dioxin. Not all hull cleaners get into the biz because of their high IQs.
My quick look at food grade hose from Graingers show a $350+ hose and 50' of 1/2" Tygon at ca. $150. I think the Tygon would kink and the $350 seem high. What source for "food grade" hose that I can adapt to 3/8" quick release fittings and meet a 125 psi would you recommend?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:40   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
My quick look at food grade hose from Graingers show a $350+ hose and 50' of 1/2" Tygon at ca. $150. I think the Tygon would kink and the $350 seem high. What source for "food grade" hose that I can adapt to 3/8" quick release fittings and meet a 125 psi would you recommend?
ebay or your local dive shop can provide breathing hose, with fittings if needed. Buy hose specifically designed for use in diving applications. Not that the stuff you get from Grainger etc. is unsafe or anything, but if you start with a product that was made for the intended application, there will be fewer issues anywhere along the line.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:46   #20

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Its worth mentioning - If you take a breath on the surface and hold it while you descend and return to the surface, you will not dammage your lungs. If you take a breath while just a few feet down and hold your breath to the surface you can dammage your lungs.
Even on hooka you should be aware of the dangers.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:49   #21

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Just to pile on...
Absolutely no question, you want "breathing gas" rated hose. Anything else is a really bad idea.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:12   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
Its worth mentioning - If you take a breath on the surface and hold it while you descend and return to the surface, you will not dammage your lungs. If you take a breath while just a few feet down and hold your breath to the surface you can dammage your lungs.
Even on hooka you should be aware of the dangers.
Certainly good safety advice. I didn't address this as I thought it pretty much common knowledge, but I'm pleased to hear this added just in case someone was unaware.

..... and thanks fstbttms, I shop around.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:38   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
No. It is physically impossible to breathe through a snorkle at a depth of more than about 3'.

If you can do it below 2", you da man. I tied it as a kid with the garden hose and never did understand why it didn't work, well at least not for a few years anyway.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:41   #24
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I think I remember reading about someone that used a long snorkel while his girlfriend pumped air in the end of the hose with a hand pump/dinghy foot pump
Maybe he ended up looking like a puffer fish, I can't remember the details ...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:04   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Really all you need is a compressor and hose, just breathe off of the open hose like a Weekiwachi mermaid, but a second stage reg is a whole lot easier.
Average price for a used aluminum 80 in hydro is a little less than $100, so if your financially challenged, Scuba may be cheaper
Old 11-09-2014, 12:30   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In compliance with good advice here I've purchased a 60' dive air supply hose from a nearby Ocala Dive Shop. It the same hose as the "Hookah" accessories.

I can store everything between the folding bikes in my aft cabin, but I'm keeping the lead weight bags low and center. As I said above, I normally don't dive with this much weight, but with the suit and no tanks, it should be right. As I donned the new 30 pound belt I realized that this same weight is how much less I weighed when I was 15 years old at 170lbs. Hmmm..... maybe I should shed some of my own weight! At 6'3" I don't want to be the "stork", but I could be a little more spry & springy! ....maybe 185?

Ok, I'm drifting on my own thread! 'back to the topic, thanks for helping me plan a safe shallow dive system for my ketch! The old hose is out!
Old 11-09-2014, 13:01   #27

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Really all you need is a compressor and hose, just breathe off of the open hose like a Weekiwachi mermaid, but a second stage reg is a whole lot easier.
There must be some trick to that, I tried it once in my 20's and was never able to get the hang of it. I suppose if I were in the S. Pacific with a bunch of loincloth wearing pearl divers I would have put a bit more effort into making it work, but I always felt like I was suffocating and figured it was my body telling me I needed more O2 than I was getting! And I am PADI certified, so it was not simply not used to breathing compressed air.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 13:17   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is probably silly, but back in the mid 70's when I first got certified, the instructor had us doing all kinds of things, to include breathing off of a scuba tank with no reg at all. He cautioned of cracking open the valve with it in your mouth
Old 11-09-2014, 13:21   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Dix43 Pilothouse-alloy

Maybe look at an industrial supply that sells sandblasting equipment? They use oil-less air compressors and long air hoses to supply breathing air under their blasting hoods. As I understand it, the main thing to get rid of is any oil in the air.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:37   #30

I hope its an oilless compressor!
John
woodguy is offline   Reply With Quote