Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 17:42   #1

Boat: Fantasia 35'
LPG Regulator Bad or Need New Hose?

Not sure if this is the right forum, I apologize if not. I was cooking this afternoon and the marina came running, apparently the propane started leaking and it was very very obvious it was coming from my boat. The regulator I have is brand new as of a year ago, and I haven't even had so much as a leak.

The stats for the regulator are:
ECII Model 302

We got out soapy water and were spraying everywhere, there were no soap bubbles. Turns out the tank had emptied, so we switched it out with my other (full) tank and found that the propane was coming out of the valve pictured below.

Is the regulator bad, or is there a chance that there is too much build up in the hose and that is why the propane was coming out the valve? The hose as far as I know is original (42 years old).

Any insight is appreciated! Thank you
salty.senorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 18:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: LPG Regulator Bad or Need New Hose?

You can add a picture to upload using the additional options menu at the bottom of a posting.

Was the regulator leaking or solenoid valve.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 18:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty.senorita View Post
Is the regulator bad, or is there a chance that there is too much build up in the hose and that is why the propane was coming out the valve? The hose as far as I know is original (42 years old).

Any insight is appreciated! Thank you
42 year old rubber hose should absolutely be replaced, no matter if it is the cause for this specific problem or not. Don't forget the hose connecting the stove too.

Propane is too dangerous to "wait until it breaks" to fix it.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 18:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
You can add a picture to upload using the additional options menu at the bottom of a posting.

Was the regulator leaking or solenoid valve.
There is a vent on the regulator and that is where the propane was coming out of, we put our fingers over it and you could hear it like you do an air compressor.
Old 10-10-2018, 18:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
42 year old rubber hose should absolutely be replaced, no matter if it is the cause for this specific problem or not. Don't forget the hose connecting the stove too.

Good to know, I was unaware there was a lifespan to it as it looks fine.
Old 10-10-2018, 19:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty.senorita View Post
There is a vent on the regulator and that is where the propane was coming out of, we put our fingers over it and you could hear it like you do an air compressor.
The diaphragm in the regulator has a hole in it and the regulator needs to be replaced.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 20:56   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

billknny is correct.

I just replaced the propane hoses on my RV this year as a precaution due to age. They were 8 years old. Might want to consider that even if it isn't leaking.

The regulators cannot be repaired so replacement is the next step.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:09   #8

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I'd have any work carried out by a person competent to work on gas installations (In Western Australia it would be an authorized (licensed) gas fitter.

If a fire/explosion on your boat causes damage to other boats in the marina and it can be shown that you did not maintain the installation properly I hope you have deep pockets. (I'd be surprised if your insurance company didn't require periodic inspections of your gas installation) I'm quite sure I have read many Australian marinas won't allow you entry unless you can provide a certificate from a licensed gas fitter that your installation is safe.

BUT it may be different as we use LPG (which is heavier than air) and you guys use propane (which is lighter than air)

Using gas safely in marine craft

https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/publi...y-marine-craft

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:47   #9

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
BUT it may be different as we use LPG (which is heavier than air) and you guys use propane (which is lighter than air)

Clive

Propane is heavier than air.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:15   #10

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Propane is heavier than air.
Anders, you are correct.

"Propane (also called liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), or LP gas) is typically transported and stored as a very cold liquid, and can cause a “freeze burn” or frostbite if it contacts the skin. ... Propane vapors are heavier than air, while natural gas is lighter than air.

Apparently Butane is also heavier than air too.

I have always thought in the US they used a gas that was lighter than air which would mean they use bottled Natural Gas (Methane) but now I'm confused.

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:18   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post

hoses are dated. The schedule is two or three years. Obviously, no use to carry a spare as it will be out of date. Our two-tank regulator and both hoses failed in Trinidad last year. All parts were in stock at Budget Marine. Carry a spare solenoid. We lost 15 # of propane from the ABYC locker vent. Glad it was well built. Make sure you don’t get lazy and fail to keep the locker closed and sealed to the boat.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
hoses are dated. The schedule is two or three years. Obviously, no use to carry a spare as it will be out of date. Our two-tank regulator and both hoses failed in Trinidad last year. All parts were in stock at Budget Marine. Carry a spare solenoid. We lost 15 # of propane from the ABYC locker vent. Glad it was well built. Make sure you don’t get lazy and fail to keep the locker closed and sealed to the boat.
Interesting, I wasn't aware they only lasted a couple of years. Maybe they aren't original then, but I sure know everything else I've changed sure is! Getting new hose now and will add that to my maintenance calendar. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2018, 08:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I'd have any work carried out by a person competent to work on gas installations (In Western Australia it would be an authorized (licensed) gas fitter.

If a fire/explosion on your boat causes damage to other boats in the marina and it can be shown that you did not maintain the installation properly I hope you have deep pockets. (I'd be surprised if your insurance company didn't require periodic inspections of your gas installation) I'm quite sure I have read many Australian marinas won't allow you entry unless you can provide a certificate from a licensed gas fitter that your installation is safe.

Clive
Thank you, this is great advice. I happen to be at a yard so I will see who is their certified person (although I'm in Mexico, crossing my fingers!).
Old 11-10-2018, 09:33   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

LPG is Propane - Liquified Propane Gas.

Hoses do not need to be replaced every two to three years. Tens years is about right. I replaced mine at ten years and cut the old ones open. I could see no degradation. If the hoses are in the sun that is a different matter. Check with your hose supplier for a recommendation.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:55   #15
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

LPG is liquefied petroleum gas

Not just propane, usually mixed, often with butane especially when weather gets warm.

There are better and lesser quality hoses.

Should be replaced at first sign of cracking or clogging, dissolving etc.

Best to replace on a schedule.

I do so every 3-4 years with top-quality stuff, cheap ones every year or maybe two.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulator