Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 05:19   #1

Flush Bilge Access Pulls

Getting close on the remodel to doing the floors. And looking for options for pulls for the access panels. The "admiral" is very picky about anything that can collect dirt, so the normal, bowl type with flip up handles are out as they will collect dirt in the bowl. Don't even think about suggesting a plain old "finger hole".

So I am looking for something similar along the idea of these cabinet pulls Daisys Hardware Shop Push Pop Out Knob

Think popup cleat but much smaller and as flush as possible. I though I had seen some that sort of reminded me of an "old school" choke cable pull that you just lift up, but can't find them via google today.

One concern with anything that is actual popup would be it popping up accidentally when walking on it. And getting gummed up and not popping up correctly.

Anyone got any ideas, or better yet have something similar installed that you can give me you experiences on?
PeteHalstedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 08:40   #2

Boat: Freedom 40
Re: Flush Bilge Access Pulls

I think you may find something in the aircraft industry - like cam locks used to hold panels - that may work and pass the admiral's muster. http://www.skybolt.com/#

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-01-2016, 09:06   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Dzus fasteners?

Dzus Fasteners | eBay

But then, you'll have to find a quarter to get to your beer stash.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 08:57   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteHalstedc View Post
Getting close on the remodel to doing the floors. And looking for options for pulls for the access panels. The "admiral" is very picky about anything that can collect dirt, so the normal, bowl type with flip up handles are out as they will collect dirt in the bowl. Don't even think about suggesting a plain old "finger hole".

So I am looking for something similar along the idea of these cabinet pulls Daisys Hardware Shop Push Pop Out Knob

Think popup cleat but much smaller and as flush as possible. I though I had seen some that sort of reminded me of an "old school" choke cable pull that you just lift up, but can't find them via google today.

One concern with anything that is actual popup would be it popping up accidentally when walking on it. And getting gummed up and not popping up correctly.

Anyone got any ideas, or better yet have something similar installed that you can give me you experiences on?
Dzus quarter turn locks might satisfy the admiral.

We have countersunk brass bolts with nylocs and plastic thrust washers on the underside. These turn a flat aluminum bar which rotates under a floor brace.

They're simple and dont collect dust. A marking on the bolt and floor panel indicate locked and unlocked.

As for dust. You'll get lots. A cordless small dyson vacuum will deal with any accumulation of dust, fluff and hair.

We dont have issues with the typical bowl type flip up pulls. A non issue IMHO. Most fluff accumulates in corners. Hair gets caught under the floor grates.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 09:48   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

PYI (the dripless shaft seal and Max-Prop company) makes a fastener we are considering for our sole hatch covers that don't require routine access.

http://www.pyiinc.com/index.php?sect...or&action=main

Cheaper yet are SS threaded inserts (e.g., from McFeeleys.com or other source.)

In case this is of interest.

Cheers!

Bill

SV Denali Rose
Old 27-01-2016, 10:26   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Mine are just simple carriage bolts, yes there is some bump, not perfectly flush, but cant trap dirt and cant gum up etc.
KISS
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 12:07   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the alleged accumulation of dirt in the flushmount pulls is negligible, and easily cleaned via vacuum cleaner. mine are bronze. gorgeous. they go well with my teak and holly sole. not veneered.
i love mine. they are worth any hassle i have encountered.
why dont you ask your wife what she likes of the ones readily available. give her a choice. you may be surprised.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 05:13   #8

Trust me I get that the dirt accumulation is a perceived problem that is easily fixed with a vacuum, put after living with someone that is OCD for 20 years, I know that perception is all that matters!

LeftBrainStuff, do you happen to have any photos of your setup, I would love to have photo of "installed" and photo showing the "mechanism" to show her, if you happen to have any.

Those floor anchors from PYI are interesting and attractive, I looked a bit at Dzus fasteners yesterday, I don't know that either really solves the "pull" issue. I am more interested in having a pull to lift the panels, keeping them down isn't really the issue.

I think the carriage bolt may win the day, I should be able to route them into the flooring where they would be close to flush, and would provide a nice pull for lifting the panel.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will bring them up at the next board meeting and see what happens.
Old 28-01-2016, 05:24   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if the ocd is so bad that boat stuff dont work, the relationship between her and boat will not work.
if you figger out the corrosion potential of all the fittings you are researching, you will find your least problematic items will be already in use.
good luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 05:31   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

With the Carriage bolt, don't route them in, you have to be able to get your fingernail under the edge to lift the thing, get one a few inches too long, self locking nut so it doesn't fall off, idea being you pull it up a couple of inches before the nut bottom out, so you have something substantial to hold onto.
Dzus fastners are horrible, old things, WWII stuff, Camlocs are much better, but I wouldn't do either myself.
Camloc from Aircraft Spruce
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 10:58   #11

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
With the Carriage bolt, don't route them in, you have to be able to get your fingernail under the edge to lift the thing, get one a few inches too long, self locking nut so it doesn't fall off, idea being you pull it up a couple of inches before the nut bottom out, so you have something substantial to hold onto.
Dzus fastners are horrible, old things, WWII stuff, Camlocs are much better, but I wouldn't do either myself.
Camloc from Aircraft Spruce
Yup !!
Old 11-02-2016, 05:26   #12

FYI, Carriage bolts won.

Big Red Letter day on the calendar, not often the cheapest option is also the option the Admiral likes!
Old 11-02-2016, 06:58   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

Photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-02-2016, 07:01   #14

Sorry floors are still at "subfloor" level now, probably won't be finished until next month. Lots of projects to finish first so we don't risk damaging the floors. So no pics other than a carriage bolt in plywood right now.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:58   #15
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

You didn't consider suction cup pulls?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge