Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 05:17   #1

Boat: Catalina
Edson Pedestal And Emergency Tiller?

Hi Folks,

I did something stupid (yet again) today !!

While removing the ritchie compass from my edson steering pedestal, I dropped a large stainless steel bolt right down in to the depths of the pedestal !

I am yet to find anything long enough to fish it out with..... (any suggestions ??)

In the mean time, im concerned that the bolt, when moved, could foul the streeing system and am hence reticent to use the boat unitl ive removed the bolt...... Is this a valid concern ?

Also, if I were to use the boat, and this bolt somehow shifted and jammed.... would I be able to use the emergency tiller, or would this also be jamed ?

(Boat is a Catalina 30 Mk2)

Thanks !
TopperHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: edson pedestal and emergency tiller?

Topper,

Amazon.com : Crenova iScope 2.0 Megapixel CMOS HD USB Endoscope Waterproof Handheld Borescope Digital Inspection Camera Snake Camera(5 Meter Cable) : Camera & Photo

Endless uses on a boat... If you want a stand alone without need of a laptop, Amazon and HF have them...

That, a dowel, and a pack of gum... And your're in business!

If you're using your E-tiller, that means the "connection" from your post to the wheel is busted... so most likely not... BUT...

If you leave the bolt down there, it's going to jam next 4th of July as you're coming into the slip. The the dock will of course be at maximum standing capacity of highly intoxicated and very interested observers... There will be a band too... "A La Titanic"... The anxiety panic of the locked wheel with a bearing directly at the most expensive boat in the marina will cause you to accidentally increase throttle when you mean to back off, and after realizing it, an emergency gear change to reverse at 2500, whereby there will be a tremendous bang and the associated giant puff of black smoke just in case there were a few observers who were unaware... directly proceeding the crunch...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperHarley View Post

Welcome to the club

While removing the ritchie compass from my edson steering pedestal, I dropped a large stainless steel bolt right down in to the depths of the pedestal !

I am yet to find anything long enough to fish it out with..... (any suggestions ??)

If you can see it and it isn't jammed in tight most SS is mildly magnetic so a strong magnet on a stick or string might rescue it. Just lift slowly and carefully since it won't be held to the magnet very strongly. Also, you can't get to the underside of the pedestal to retrieve it from below? Another suggestion, if there's a Harbor Freight nearby they have various types and sizes of grabbers and pickup tools.

In the mean time, im concerned that the bolt, when moved, could foul the streeing system and am hence reticent to use the boat unitl ive removed the bolt...... Is this a valid concern ?

YES!!!!

Also, if I were to use the boat, and this bolt somehow shifted and jammed.... would I be able to use the emergency tiller, or would this also be jamed ?

Yes it would unless you disconnect the steering cables from the rudder quadrant. Not possible if the jam happens 20' from the pier and you're on a collision course in a matter of seconds.

Thanks !
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:01   #4

hahahah thankyou for your good humored replies !!

I have looked for all sorts of claw type pickup tools but none ive found are long enough... I didnt even consider something as simple as a dowel and some gum !!

Thankyou... Ill be off to try that tomorrow !!
Old 09-05-2016, 06:59   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

Have you checked for a removable panel in the overhead of the aft cabin that allows access to the steering quadrant ? Some of the later C30's(MKIII?) have a removable panel in the cockpit deck just aft the pedestal to allow access to the base and the quadrant. Anyway, I'd start looking for access at the bottom and work up.
I would feel uncomfortable doing anything until that bolt was found and removed.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I have looked for all sorts of claw type pickup tools but none ive found are long enough... I didnt even consider something as simple as a dowel and some gum !!
I bought a 3' claw type grabber at Harbor Freight. If you can reach in with your hand just a bit from the top that should be long enough.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:28   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

On my 1985 Catalina 30 Mk-I I can get to the underside of the pedestal from the quarter berth. There is a screwed on cover that when removed lets me have full access to the bottom of the pedestal.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:16   #8

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

If the gum doesn't work, try some duct taped folded back on it self.

If that doesn't work get some 5 minute epoxy putty. Mix it, put a wad on a stick and epoxy the bolt to the stick.

Been there done that.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:17   #9

Welcome to "You are screwed" club. Good time to take apart your pedestal and reseal, lubricate, and generally check things out. Usually a lot of pedestals will have a small "door" at the base for such goofs. If not, no sense in messing up your cables. Its easy to do and will take time; but your a sailor, so you got lots of time.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
On my 1985 Catalina 30 Mk-I I can get to the underside of the pedestal from the quarter berth. There is a screwed on cover that when removed lets me have full access to the bottom of the pedestal.
^^^^^^^^

Have you looked? You really "should have" access to the idler wheels below the pedestal. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:54   #11

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

If you removed only the compass the next "section" of the pedestal also should be removable, giving you another 6" of open space.

If you can see it with a flashlight you should then be able to grab it with the HF grabby tool.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 15:19   #12

Boat: ODAY 28

most pedestals have large holes for the cables to pass through, I said most, if you can shine a power full light down the pedestal and use a long dowel to push it to the opening, your steering is connected to the emergency steering good luck
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 17:30   #13

Re: Edson Pedestal And Emergency Tiller?

Thanks so much for all the advice ! IM heading down to the boat today armed with a length of dowel, some gum and a big magnet (just incase) !
Old 17-05-2016, 08:28   #14

Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36
Re: Edson Pedestal And Emergency Tiller?

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Thanks !
Can you see the bolt? If yes get any long stick like a dowel and put a wad of butyl tape on the end. Push said wad against said bolt and lift it out. What?? No butyl tape. West Marine sells it for not a bad price. This stuff is just about as handy as duct tape��.
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:32   #15

Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Topper,

Amazon.com : Crenova iScope 2.0 Megapixel CMOS HD USB Endoscope Waterproof Handheld Borescope Digital Inspection Camera Snake Camera(5 Meter Cable) : Camera & Photo

Endless uses on a boat... If you want a stand alone without need of a laptop, Amazon and HF have them...

That, a dowel, and a pack of gum... And your're in business!

If you're using your E-tiller, that means the "connection" from your post to the wheel is busted... so most likely not... BUT...

If you leave the bolt down there, it's going to jam next 4th of July as you're coming into the slip. The the dock will of course be at maximum standing capacity of highly intoxicated and very interested observers... There will be a band too... "A La Titanic"... The anxiety panic of the locked wheel with a bearing directly at the most expensive boat in the marina will cause you to accidentally increase throttle when you mean to back off, and after realizing it, an emergency gear change to reverse at 2500, whereby there will be a tremendous bang and the associated giant puff of black smoke just in case there were a few observers who were unaware... directly proceeding the crunch...
And don't forget wind and current will be against you!!
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edson, emergency, enc, pedestal