Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-10-2013, 11:45   #1

Boat: Custom, Ingrid ketch/cutter, 39.5 LOD
Delamination/Penetrating Expoxy/Purchase dilemma

Hello all! Well this is my first post, I have been out of the loop now for about 8 years living and working in the high arctic. Before that I lived and sailed for 5 years on my tiny Lyle Hess Balboa 26 all over the great lakes, gulf of St. Lawrence, Labrador coast and NF.

I am in a position where I am looking for a live aboard cruiser for 2 adults, 1 child. I am stuck on 2 vessels -one is a FC atkin/ingrid/samson seafarer, the other is a Ta Chiao ct41 i believe, about a '76. Depending on the ferro build, I know the seafarer is the best/safest choice for offshore long distance family hauler. I have been aboard quite a few vessels in various conditions and the seafarer was hands down the most seakindly I ever set foot on or had the pleasure of taking the helm of.

That being said, the CT i am looking at can resell down the road much better if we need more space, but she has some serious delam issues on her deck. I assume she is end grain balsa core but i really have no idea. I know many people have already exhausted all avenues trying to find short cuts to this, but here is my fix idea, but I need feedback from experience as to why this idea may/may not be viable:

There are large (6 foot sections that have dry delaminated due to poor build practices/poor adhesion or not enough epoxy used. Actual matting layers are separating dry. http://www.yachtsalvage.com/photos/Y...S133260_09.jpg Hull itself is sound. There are a few high load areas effected (near winches, etc.) Without pulling the whole deck and starting over, I want cover the areas, drill multiple holes in effected areas, and heat the hell out of the boat and dehumidify for a week or so from the inside and above to minimize moisture. to take a slightly xylene-thinned ESP 155 or similar, and from the top, pump this thinned expoxy into the voids, hopefully the thinning and drying will help carry resin via xylene osmosis. Then allowing a few more weeks of curing under heat and low humidity before re gelcoating/finishing. Any reason why this wouldn't work? Cheers from Ellesmere Island!
ijiraq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delamination, purchase