Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 16:20   #1

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri
Cleaning uncured epoxy with denatured alcohol or acetone?

I discovered by accident recently that one can clean off uncured epoxy by using denatured alcohol, also commonly used as a fuel for alcohol stoves and camp stove and lights. I always thought that acetone was about the only thing that could be used, but with Acetone remains a big question mark as to its potential ill effects on the human body.

Along with being less expensive, I have a feeling that denatured alcohol would be less hazardous to the body. I know that the alcohol will not flash off nearly as quickly, so from that point of view cleaning up with the alcohol is very helpful, as you can work with it longer.

I wonder if the omniscient participants on this forum, especially if he/she has a background in chemistry or human biology, could tell me whether I am better off to use acetone or denatured alcohol?

Thanks, and fair winds to all,

RR.
Rotten Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 16:38   #2

Re: Cleaning uncured epoxy with denatured alcohol or acetone?

Vinegar for epoxy.
I have used a lot of acetone over the years... I mean building/fiberglassing boats and washing my hands and fore arms in a bucket of it! No ill effects yet. but.....
Having been a safety/environmental engineer I would guess alcohol is better than Acetone. But even MEK (which I researched) isn't nearly as bad as the rumors have it to be.
Of course anything can be detrimental to a particular person.. so there's that too.
The tests they did with MEK on rats was very invasive.. injecting it directly into the rats for days on days. Still... very low level of cancer above the norm.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 17:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Used to use acetone to clean up epoxy. Old polyester resin habits die hard. Forced to use alcohol when I couldn't find acetone. It worked a lot better and didn't flash evaporate almost instantly like acetone. Only use acetone now to wipe down areas
to be laminated.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 23:02   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

I've used alcohol for years for cleaning tools and such. On the work at hand not so much just scraped excess uncured away and sanding the rest if needed for the reason alcohol is absorbed into cured epoxy too and weakens its properties. For hands vinegar is safer..
BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 23:59   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

As Cheechako posted - Vinegar is the go to product for cleaning up un-cured epoxy. For hands, first use vinegar and then warm soapy water.

Cheap and available anywhere and not hard on the hands. The acid i the vinegar reacts with the harder component of the epoxy causing it to stop working. The epoxy is then removed with the soap and water.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 08:04   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Another vote for vinegar.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 08:16   #7

Boat: Skookum 53'

Thanks, I learned something today. Have been using acetone and MEK for years, can stop now.
Old 27-06-2015, 08:28   #8

Boat: Pearson 530

Same for the learning. I just let the epoxy dry on my hands and in about 3-4 weeks it would be gone. A few times the fingers would stick together, but then I'd use the alcohol. Thanks for the info.

All U Get
Old 27-06-2015, 08:42   #9

Boat: ODAY 28

Yes, I used vinegar, works well,
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 08:44   #10

Boat: Catalina 42

Try white vinegar. It's pretty cheap and won't harm your skin or the environment.
Cool Runnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 09:12   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ricky View Post
I discovered by accident recently that one can clean off uncured epoxy by using denatured alcohol, also commonly used as a fuel for alcohol stoves and camp stove and lights. I always thought that acetone was about the only thing that could be used, but with Acetone remains a big question mark as to its potential ill effects on the human body.

Along with being less expensive, I have a feeling that denatured alcohol would be less hazardous to the body. I know that the alcohol will not flash off nearly as quickly, so from that point of view cleaning up with the alcohol is very helpful, as you can work with it longer.

I wonder if the omniscient participants on this forum, especially if he/she has a background in chemistry or human biology, could tell me whether I am better off to use acetone or denatured alcohol?

Thanks, and fair winds to all,

RR.
I like cheechako have virtually bathed in acetone with no apparent health problems. However, if alcohol cuts it or he said vinegar, it would probably be prudent to go those routes.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 09:14   #12

Acetone
Denatured alcohol
Methanol
Lacquer thinner
Vinegar

You can buy pickling vinegar which is 7% instead of 5%, so it's a little stronger. If you're working in cold conditions below 15C or 60F it won't work as well.
mebccb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 16:18   #13
RNW

There is no question about Acetones health effects. Its not a problem. What I have heard suggested is that it promotes diluted Epoxy residuals to enter the bloodstream via the skin.
RNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 06:07   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I use US Composites 635 THIN epoxy exclusively now. Its cure speed is very slow. It does not begin to cross-link even several hours after mixing. It can be cleaned rom the skin or hair with Fast Orange hand cleaner. Acetone is a bit aggressive & volatile. You can use lacquer thinner on most epoxy. Not great but a bit less nasty.
Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 07:04   #15
cruiser

If you click on that blue bar on the right, most every possible question that you can ask is answered. It's one of the reasons why I won't use anything but WEST Systems:

Epoxy by the Leading Epoxy Manufacturer | WEST SYSTEM Epoxy
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, epoxy