Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-06-2015, 12:51   #1

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Best Storage Solution For Tools etc?

Hello everyone who ever worked on their (or anyone else's) boats!

I wasn't sure where to post this - so I'll try here.

i'm not a liveaboard, but keep all my tools on the boat (for lack of any other space). i'd like to come up with a storage solution that will keep tools organized and reasonably easy to deploy / stow away. what would you suggest? the boat is not very large, i don't have a dedicated workbench or area where i could set up permanent shop - so everything has to go in sail lockers or under settees.

i have: 110V power tools (sander, jig saw); 12V tools and small 110V tools which i can run off the small cigarette lighter inverter (dremmel, drill); large hand tools (saws, plumbing wrenches, spanners), smaller hand tools (wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, levels, measuring tapes, etc), varnishing stuff, fiberglass stuff, electrical stuff, and i'm sure i'm forgetting smth else very important.

it's safe to assume that when i'm repairing or building smth out of fiberglass, i'm probably not going to need the spanners; when i'm wiring smth up, i'm unlikely to need brushes and varnish; and so on (although there are projects which require more than one class of tools, no doubt). so i would like to segregate them by "likely to be used together" kind of classification, and have those stowed together in a reasonable way.

originally i tried lockable crates (from the container store) which works for storage but is awkward to deploy (i'm happy to keep this solution for varnish, 110V power tools, and epoxy related stuff). i also tried those green craftsman bags, but their metal parts rusted through the fabric and are not very usable now; and even they were still fine - access and organization were not stellar.

what is your solution?
thank you!
anton
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage