Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2015, 09:20   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
90-Degree Oil Filter Adapter?

I bet I'm not the only person who gets tired of catching the flood of nasty black engine oil when I take the oil filter off my Yanmar.

I just discovered that the Yanmar filter is a generic type, equivalent to a Fram PH3593A and many others, used on all kinds of different cars. The Fram will be a superior filter and I will try to get my hands on some.

For a common filter type I would expect to find some accessories -- does anyone know whether there is a 90-degree adapter for these filters, which will allow us to pull the filters without the flood of hot oil? WOuldn't that be great?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 09:56   #2

Re: 90-Degree Oil Filter Adapter?

Just Google "remote oil filter".... Lots of stuff out there, some better than others.

I have built these several times using remote adapters from Volvo gas inboard engines, but these parts are more expensive than what you find on line. However, I don't worry about the aluminum quality.

DougR
DougR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 10:19   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Don't be so sure that Fram filters are superior. Here in the US they are pretty low quality. Much less filter media than other brands. If you go with a remote filter, the most popular generic model uses a PH-1 (Fram) filter which uses a 3/4 nipple and that is just about the most common size, ( think Ford pick-up oil filter common.) I have seen them in grocery stores in central America and anywhere else we go. The stock spin on filter for a Perkins is that same size too.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 10:57   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Fram is crap, Mobil 1 and K&N are excellent filters, but you do pay for them.
I was running an external oil filter on my Yanmar, I even used aircraft oil hoses and was very happy with it, it enabled a much larger filter and mounted it open end up, enabling me to pre-fill the filter and not spill any on oil change. The part that fit the engine jut spun on like a regular oil filter, no engine mods, thought it was great.
Then the O ring blew on me, was motoring along when the low oil pressure alarm went off, turned engine off and went below and opened the engine compartment to a real mess. I spun the adapter off, spun on an extra filter I had, filled the engine with oil and off I went. Later assuming I just had a bad O ring or had possibly pinched it on installation, I replaced to O ring and re-installed everything, to have the O ring blow later of course. I removed the remote oil filter and trashed it.

But back in my kids days, it was very common to use 90 deg. oil filter adapters on cars to enable the headers to fit, Mopar's in particular. Might find a 90 deg oil filter adapter at a speed shop. They had a paper gasket and a large bolt in the middle that screwed in where the center tube is on an engine the filter screws onto, I never had one of those leak
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 11:44   #5

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

When I repowered with a Yanmar 4JH4-AE in 2008 I specified a remote oil filter shown in the pictures below.

http://www.svsarah.com/Sarah/Images/...l%20Filter.JPG

I don't remember is this was a Yanmar part or a 3rd party. It uses the standard Yanmar oil filter for the 4JH, which precluded any warranty issues.

To remove the filter I insert a plastic bag over the filter and spin it off into the bag. I do have to put down an oil absorbent cloth under the filter because some oil will drip after the filter is removed.

I've got several 1000 hours on this arrangement and numerous oil changes with no problems.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
To remove the filter I insert a plastic bag over the filter and spin it off into the bag. I do have to put down an oil absorbent cloth under the filter because some oil will drip after the filter is removed.

John
Same here. A few drops of oil go into the containment dam. I like that. It compels me to wipe the dam and the engine clean with a few squirts from a spray bottle containing household ammonia and dish washing detergent in water. Old filter and paper wipes go into the plastic bag which goes into one of my famous cat litter containers for shoreside disposal.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:47   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
When I repowered with a Yanmar 4JH4-AE in 2008 I specified a remote oil filter shown in the pictures below.

I've got several 1000 hours on this arrangement and numerous oil changes with no problems.
John
Wow, How nice is that. JIC fittings, nice hose, mount etc.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:04   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Fram is an old stand-by in the US. It should meet OEM specs for anything, but it is definitely NOT superior quality. By contrast, if you read the packaging on the Mobil1 and Bosch filters (which may be 3x the price) they filter out a higher percent of smaller particles. Much higher percentage. Now, whether that makes any practical difference for your engine is something else again, but they ARE cleaning the oil to a higher degree.
Bosch used to be twice the price of Mobil1 here, but then about three years ago, Mobil just doubled their price and switched to a fancier box in order to justify it. [sic]

You can always do worse than Fram, but it is "just" a decent commodity grade filter, nothing special.

When spinning off any filter, I found a good trick is to wrap some paper toweling around the engine side, then place a plastic shopping bag over the whole thing. As you spin it off, let the paper toweling squeeze in to grab any oil spilling, and then let the whole mess drop into the shopping bag. Tie handles, dispose. Not much escapes.

And contrary to popular logic, I change the oil COLD. No burns, no fuss, and I know it has all drained down out of the engine and it all will be replaced. Hot oil is going to mean it is still spread all over inside, so more dirty oil is going to remain in there, spread around the entire engine. Isn't it?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:18   #9

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

For those of us who don't go the remote or 90 degree elbow route, I had the same problem with oil running out of the horizontal filter (Yanmar 3JH engines). My solution was to take a small plastic bottle (soft drink, juice or whatever was on board) slightly wider than the filter and cut half the bottom and one side out for a few inches. Slip this under the filter (bottle bottom past the bottom of the filter) before pulling it off.

Once the filter is off just tip the bottle up (make sure the cap is on tight) and the filter and oil is captured and ready for the trash. Not as elegant as modifying the engine, but solved the dripping oil issue.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 13:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I bet I'm not the only person who gets tired of catching the flood of nasty black engine oil when I take the oil filter off my Yanmar.

I just discovered that the Yanmar filter is a generic type, equivalent to a Fram PH3593A and many others, used on all kinds of different cars. The Fram will be a superior filter and I will try to get my hands on some.

For a common filter type I would expect to find some accessories -- does anyone know whether there is a 90-degree adapter for these filters, which will allow us to pull the filters without the flood of hot oil? WOuldn't that be great?
The Yanmar filter for the 2GM 20 was changed a few years ago to a smaller diameter. I had met somebody whose Yanmar suddenly lost oil pressure motoring through the sometimes tricky approach to Tutukaka NZ. The reason was because the alternator adjusting bolts had loosened and part of that assembly dropped and cut into the oil filter. I guess that potential problem was the reason Yanmar changed the diameter as with the smaller diameter I don't think it will happen. The Yanmar filter costs me about $30 and 2 doors away a diesel shop sells one that will fit for $8 or so. I don't know if they have the same micron rating so I spend $30 and keep an $8 spare.

If you find an L adapter and want to use it check that nothing can come loose and spear the filter.

I hold a plastic ice cream container under the filter when I'm changing and both the oil and filter drop in there. Very little mess
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 13:43   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

Fram PH3593A also fits Honda Civic And Fit. There are adapters for Hondas easily found via Ebay that have double row O-rings and hose fittings to allow relocating the filter to a more easily accessible area vertically mounted. They will fit on your Yanmar also Universal engines and don't leak or blow out because of the double O-rings. I installed a sandwich plate style on my Universal to install oil temp and pressure sensors for digital gauges but kept the filter in place, worked great no leaks. I've also used similar adapter on cars I built to move filters to more accessible places.
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 18:42   #12

I follow hellosailors logic and change it cold using my oil change pump that's permanently connected to the oil pan. It is sucking it out and can let it run for a bit even after is dry.

Recently discovered that punching a hole in the filter with a screwdriver the day before changing the oil, drained all but a tablespoon or two, though mine is a vertical mount filter.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:11   #13

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:

I don't remember is this was a Yanmar part or a 3rd party. It uses the standard Yanmar oil filter for the 4JH, which precluded any warranty issues.

John
In my new Beta 60 install, I specified a remote oil filter. Just be careful not to add much in the way of height to the installation (adding the space beneath the filter mount to remove the cartridge, of course) and you'll be fine. Here's how I did mine. Zero drips or pressure issues to date: The world encompassed: Oil and painting
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:36   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
In my new Beta 60 install, I specified a remote oil filter. Just be careful not to add much in the way of height to the installation (adding the space beneath the filter mount to remove the cartridge, of course) and you'll be fine. Here's how I did mine. Zero drips or pressure issues to date: The world encompassed: Oil and painting
I have to say I don't quite like remote oil filters, the ones with rubber hoses.

It might be prejudice on my part. I had a VW bus in my youth I put one of these on. It dropped the oil pressure so much that I spun a bearing.

It seems like a lot of failure points to introduce into the most crucial system in the engine.

Its virtue of giving extra oil cooling with all the hose is unneeded on a boat.

What I think I would prefer would be a 90 degree adapter without hoses, where the filter is mounted right on the engine. I'm looking at some of the racing parts referred to above.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:49   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

On the subject of oil filters, here in the UK, Fleet Factors is a good source for quality filters, both for oil and gas oil.
I'm currently using Fleetguard (Cummins) and MANN filters, which so far as I am aware are good quality.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil filter