Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 09:32   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Exhaust hose

I need to replace exhaust hose on both the main and genset. I notice there are several different types, like with wire, without wire, corrugated. Vetus has one that has no wires and is claime to make bends easier without linking. Any experiences with different types?
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 15:45   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Exhaust hose

From the big (two?) hose makers, there seems to be the choices mentioned, wired or non-wired.

Wire is generally said to be better when there are tight turns, long runs and large hose sizes -- as the wire helps the hose keep its shape. Problem with wired hose is that the wire can rust at the connections and will rot the hose from the inside out. Had this happen to me on a sink drain hose!

I have a small engine (33hp) with no tight bends or long runs, so I'm going non-wire to avoid the rust. There appears to be no difference between the two types in terms of heat resistance or other performance characteristics, so why add an element of failure if it isn't needed? If you go wired, find out the best way to seal the cut ends of the hose.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:06   #3

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Re: Exhaust hose

The wire provides tensile stremgth which resists the forces of the exhaust gases. There are transmitted impulses for every cylinder opening that tends to stretch the hose. Wired hose resists kinking better. Even with the wire exposed, it lasts many years.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust