Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2023, 13:51   #4936

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

i have a Cross 24 trimaran that has a dual mainsheet. What is the best practice for using this system?

It can be seen here at min 4:28.

Shud i adjust both mainsheets everytime?

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:16   #4937

N another dumb newbie question. i have been getting used to the boat by putting around with the outboard. i notice that the bow gets blown off by the wind FAR more than the dinghys i am used to sailing, so i have to use more power to turn into the wind. The stronger the wind, the more power i have to use to turn into it.

Sooooo, that raises the question - Which sail shud i raise first? The smallish 7/8 jib or the square top main?

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 05-08-2023, 05:28   #4938

For the bow being blown off try a bit of centreboard.
On the Corsairs we usually raise main first.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:28   #4939

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Normally a Cross 24 would have a keel, if this one has a board using some would help.
I couldn't really tell from the video how the mainsheet is rigged,.can you take.a.picture showing the layout? You will probably have to adjust it for another reason though. You should raise the main first, it will help keep the bows into the wind while you get the jib drawing. That big main will probably need to be eased each time you tack while you get the jib drawing because there could be a tendency for it to weathercock the boat and put you in irons as you try to come about. You'll be able to tell in a hurry, if it brings the bows back into the wind after you tack let it out.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 12:12   #4940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Normally a Cross 24 would have a keel, if this one has a board using some would help.
I couldn't really tell from the video how the mainsheet is rigged,.can you take.a.picture showing the layout?
i have used 3/4 daggerboard putting around.

jon
Old 05-08-2023, 14:15   #4941

So if that is a single line mainsheet adjustable from either side leaving it set would give the same boom position on each tack. If it is 2 separate sheets you will have to adjust it each tack.
Old 05-08-2023, 14:52   #4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
So if that is a single line mainsheet adjustable from either side leaving it set would give the same boom position on each tack. If it is 2 separate sheets you will have to adjust it each tack.
Well, my boom has two bails, but i guess i don't have to use both of them. Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

jon
Old 05-08-2023, 15:45   #4943

Sure, good to see you sailing and trying things out. You might want to keep them. On my tri I use a center tackle for the main sheet and run a guy to each ama from the boom and lead them back to the mainsheet area. They become the vang/preventer combination, cinching in as you ease the main takes the twist out like a vang and when deep downwind they prevent a jibe. The downside is more spaghetti the good side is never having to.move to rig a preventer.

I'm wondering a bit about the board placement, if it is aft a bit to work with the square top main you should try motoring with it all down to.see if it helps the bows blowing off.
Old 07-08-2023, 14:03   #4944

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
N another dumb newbie question. i have been getting used to the boat by putting around with the outboard. i notice that the bow gets blown off by the wind FAR more than the dinghys i am used to sailing, so i have to use more power to turn into the wind. The stronger the wind, the more power i have to use to turn into it.

Sooooo, that raises the question - Which sail shud i raise first? The smallish 7/8 jib or the square top main?

jon
Gday John

Many multis get blown around lots - that is because they have teeny little foils that work well at high speeds, but then when we are faffing around at low speeds they fail to generate enough lift force. It is like flying around in a performance plane with small wings and then trying to go slow like a Tiger Moth - you fall out of the sky.

This is manifest as lack of control. To get around this, think flying. You have a "stall" speed before the boat gets enough flow. So before you do any big helm movements ensure you are up to speed. Years ago I owned and lived aboard a Twiggy - she had lots of windage and only small foils. So in an anchorage (if there was any wind) I would just floor the outboard and go straight. Even if there was someone in front, I would just floor the motor and get her up to 5 knots. As soon as she hit 5 knots or so she would steer pretty well and I would put the motor to idle and then steer hardover. It does lead to some wide eyes from the owners of close boats.

Either that or you can put big foils on your tri. Small foils are my bugbear on multis. Nice handling multis at slow speeds have foils too large for high speeds (nothing wrong with larger foils - just a bit slower) so designers tend to think that they should design foils for 8-12 ish knots. I reckon that is plain dumb - things go bad when foils lose grip, and this often happens at low speeds during say tacking - so make foils big. My two little folding cats behave beautifully at low speeds because they have large rudders and centreboard. It aint rocket science, it is just defining your needs more tightly and I want to steer well poking around the moorings and tacking.

So try putting around with a bigger than usual daggerboard. It should help, and also try getting up to stall speed before heading into the wind. Sometimes on a small tri you gotta get crackin to steer well.

As for putting up sails - I can't figure out why anyone would put up a jib before the main. It may be that you can pull up the main easily on a reach, so that would be fine, but otherwise - speed up, turn up, main up, bear away and jib up.

I never have understood why people head into the wind to furl their jibs, it makes me flich to see it - bear away and hide the jib behind the main to furl it. It is much nicer to the furling gear and the sail.

Cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 07:17   #4945

Thanks Phil. i really don't have any way of knowing whether my daggerboard is big or small. Its the size that is on the Cross plans as an alternate. Perhaps this is also affected by the growth on the bottom of the hull and the rudder? The daggerboard is clean as i pull it out when not using it. Next year i plan on removing the ablative from the rudder and painting it something slippery, and tilt it up out of the water on the mooring. Later this week i plan on diving on the hull cuz little barnacles have begun to attach to the ablative. i can only get so many off using the brush from the kayak.
jon
Old 24-09-2023, 22:11   #4946

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

WILDERNESS status report:

It's been a while, but I'm still at it. I've been working on the new rig and sails, but also moving forward towards hauling out. Yesterday I pulled the Yanmar 3GM30FW out to make it easier to replace the leaded foam mylar sound insulation. Before that I had been finishing off the electrical system rewiring, and other stuff. Sometimes the sequences and priorities change. Anyways, progress continues. I'm going to clean and thoroughly service the engine while it's out of the boat, because it's easier to do this stuff where I can see and touch everything. So, first strip the engine down, remove the big stuff like heat exchanger, pull the belts off (I'm installing Balmar serpentine belts), pulling the Balmar alternator, starter for service, pulling the injectors to check them out, then scrape, wire brush the metal parts that have gotten chalky from aluminum oxidation and steel rust, then priming and painting and reassembling. After reinstalling the soundproofing and touch up engine room paint, then the engine goes back in, followed by the electrical harnesses, fuel, water and exhaust hoses and other smaller projects (fire extinguisher system, latest model external regulator, and other stuff). The engine required about an hour to totally unconnect and remove to the shop
The other externals are looking good (folks paddling by on their kayaks and SUPs are saying nice things). Once I get the engine controls remounted on the steering pedestal, clean out the fuel tank and install fresh filters, I will be ready to haul out. It's been five years since my last bottom paint and it's sorely in need of attention. Plus, I need to install the new centerboard, pull the prop shaft and rudder for inspection. Then, I can finish off the galley remodel and interior details. Last, is installing the rest of the electronics and other toys. It's been a great ride, but now I need to feel some spray and wind.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 22:17   #4947

Engine waiting for main halyard withdrawel.Click image for larger version

Name:	20230922_175701.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	281409
Old 24-09-2023, 23:04   #4948

Hi Roy M, this is a bit off thread but also important info. While you have the engine out, take a very close look at the oil feed pipe that does a u turn around the back of your engine, it often rusts badly where it’s hidden by the starter motor as well as under the exhaust mixer elbow.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 05:39   #4949

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
Gday John
So in an anchorage (if there was any wind) I would just floor the outboard and go straight. Even if there was someone in front, I would just floor the motor and get her up to 5 knots. As soon as she hit 5 knots or so she would steer pretty well and I would put the motor to idle and then steer hardover. It does lead to some wide eyes from the owners of close boats.
Saturday i let go of the mooring and the bow immediately began to blow to starboard and i had intended to go to port (and i thot she was leaning that way). So i gunned the outboard and headed straight for the nearby rocks and then put the rudder over to make a nice turn to starboard and miss the danger.

( i call it the difference between a sailor and a motorboater. The sailor has to use the wind and waves to get where he wants to go. The motorboater just guns the engine and points the boat. Since i am a sailor i went with the flow instead of fighting it...)

Quote:
As for putting up sails - I can't figure out why anyone would put up a jib before the main. It may be that you can pull up the main easily on a reach, so that would be fine, but otherwise - speed up, turn up, main up, bear away and jib up.
i have been thinking of sailing off the mooring even tho there are rocks all around. Putting up the jib first might be a way of getting on the preferred tack. i have raised the jib while on the mooring to experiment with the effects that it provides.

i have been raising sail on a reach as well. Altho i head into the wind under power she wants to bear away as soon as i let go of the tiller, so i raise the main first and then quickly the jib. Last time i was unable to raise the main fully - (do i need a small winch?) because two of the battens had come out of their cars during the time i stored the sail in the forward compartment because of the hurricane.

Quote:
I never have understood why people head into the wind to furl their jibs, it makes me flinch to see it - bear away and hide the jib behind the main to furl it. It is much nicer to the furling gear and the sail.
i have been dropping the main and jib while on a reach because that is what she seems to want to do as soon as i step away from the rudder and go forward to the mast. So far no problems.

N then a separate situation - i trim to the apparent wind and seem to never let the boom far out. i am an old dinghy sailor but it never seems like i am going with the wind. On a beat, it feels like the wind is from straight ahead, a reach feels like what i know of as a beat, and a run feels like i am on a reach. So because of this, i am thinking of shortening my mainsheets to about 1/2 the length so as to not have a spaghetti mess on the cockpit floor.
Old 25-09-2023, 17:19   #4950

It's been a good day. I labeled all the hoses (cooling, exhaust, fuel) and removed them from the engine. Same for the remote oil filter (I mounted a Fram Racing filter, vertically so it doesn't fill the bilge when changing oil, also, because I will change it less often due to greater oil volume). Also, doing all this work OFF the boat is SO much easier on my aging body. I've removed all the oil lines and high pressure fuel lines to avoid the previous noted issues with rust (THANK YOU!!!). Tomorrow I will drop off the alternator, starter and solenoid, and the heat exchanger, for complete overhauling. Hopefully, I will begin sandblasting of parts, prior to priming and painting.

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran