Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 25-09-2023, 17:31   #4951

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Thank you sailor pete!!Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_131544.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	281434Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_124305.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	281435Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_144611.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	281436Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_132411.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	281437Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_151811.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	281438Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_151821.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	281439
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 17:13   #4952

Boat: 37 Searunner

Has anyone with Searunner 37 weighted one side to get the ama out of the water to paint the bottom with bottom paint.
Sea Otter Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 19:04   #4953

Just put some Trash cans against the lifelines and fill with water. You may have to move some heavy gear to the opposite side. I've done it with the floats, but one day I might try it by beaching the boat on logs or old tires.
Old 28-09-2023, 19:30   #4954

Status check: I pulled the engine out last week and have been disassembling the engine since then. So far, no nasty surprises, other than some surface rust and aluminum oxidation. I've done all this on a dolly, but I'm about to mount the engine on a motor stand so I can roll the engine over to get access to all the surfaces without standing on my head. I got the exhaust and intake manifolds removed, injectors out, the gasket kit will be here next week, and tomorrow I'll pull the head off the block to inspect the valves and cylinders/piston heads. Then I'll remove the rear end (flywheel and housings) so I can derust, prime and paint all the big stuff, and small, so that I have fewer surprises when I slip my moorings. I should be done with this phase in a week or so, then I'll put things together. I'm hopeful to have the engine reassembled in a couple weeks. Then, it's time to replace the soundproofing, reinstall the engine, and hook up the wiring, engine cables, seawater strainer, fuel filters, new hoses, and other smaller tasks. It's happening, and it's fun.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230926_085923.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	281525Click image for larger version

Name:	20230928_134115.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	281526Click image for larger version

Name:	20230926_115426.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	281527Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_145652.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	281528Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_125430.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	281529
Old 28-09-2023, 19:38   #4955

I can't say it enough! Working on an engine is SO MUCH EASIER when it's out of the boat. Lighting, ventilation, access, and fewer opportunities to hurt myself. And, having a skyhook (halyard and assistance) is wonderful!
Old 28-09-2023, 23:54   #4956

Hi RoyM, I’m enjoying reading about your 3GM but its a bit off topic and would be better if there was a seperate thread. Incidentally, your engine is different to most other 3GM’s and ordering parts is a bit of a challenge, for instance, the injector pipes are very different and you have the “permanent bleed back to the tank “ arrangement as well
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 08:42   #4957

Sailorpete, I didn't intend to offend you, but this thread is, I believe, the longest running single topic one on CF. It is also a very specific subject, mostly aimed at Searunner trimarans, with inclusion of Cross and other early designs.

I built my boat from a pile of plywood and a roll of prints, from 1974 to 1978, and have lived aboard since launch. In the time I have participated in CF, I have shared my experience with many, ranging in design, all of the systems shared by other trimaran, seamanship, safety and hacks developed over the years. My point here is that others, not just Searunner owners, have apparently valued the range of subjects affecting our style of vessel. I look forward to learning what others bring to the forum in coming years. It matters little to me if it is unique or even possibly novel. Who knows what is in store for us? In propulsion it might be electric drives, hydrogen or something really of the wall in current thinking. When I trashed my two cylinder, 500 pound Volvo MD2B for a new 300 pound Yanmar 3GM30F, I was quite pleased. I shared my experience and photos with others who possibly found value in my experience. Every boat is different. The old adage, "Different ships, different longsplices" hasn't fallen by the wayside, and my attempt at sharing the pitfalls and pleasures of restoring a valued engine seems to fall on interested ears. Besides, I really like this thread and its denizens.

So, with that, I'll have one more cup of strong black coffee, and go pull the cylinder head off my diesel. And, thank goodness that YouTube has such a huge library of videos specific to my engine of choice. And that AutoZone has specialty tools like gear pullers and torque wrenches for FREE RENTAL!
Old 29-09-2023, 14:02   #4958

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

i like hearing Roy's updates. All of them are on topic - his Searunner.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 15:06   #4959

Hi RoyM, no offence was intended, my apologies if I phrased that post badly, we gain a lot of good information from engine posts like yours, so much so in fact that they deserve a thread of their own, especially when its a fairly unique version of that engine…. Peace.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2023, 15:07   #4960

WILDERNESS status report:

The bulk of the engine parts are now painted and I'm about to do the assembly. It's really cool seeing the internal parts in great condition, and making the exterior transform from rusty crusty to better than original. I'm hoping to be completed soon with the engine phase, then I'll rip out the old soundproofing, paint the engine compartment, reinstall the new soundproofing, then hoist the engine back aboard. There's still a bunch of engine related projects waiting in the wings: hooking up the gearshift/throttle, kill cable, engine electrical harness, aligning the engine/prop shaft, connecting the rebuilt seawater strainer, cleaning out the fuel tank and filters. Lots of little steps, now that the mast and rigging, sails and deck gear are largely completed. These should all be finished before Christmas. Then, it's the start of our rainy season, so I'll shift inside to the galley remodel. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I've been dreaming of the new galley for many years. I haven't been able to cook or entertain for too long. The new stove and oven sit temporarily on a makeshift countertop, allowing me to stare at the galley spaces and imagine the lockers, drawers and bulk storage that have been growing in my imagination. The Searunner has an incredible dining and cooking potential. To be able to comfortably seat four to six sailors, open the sterncastle window wide to the sound and sight of the streaming wake, and prepare great food underway, well, I've never seen its equal on a forty foot sailing vessel.

I'll send pictures, before and after, of the overhauled engine, next week.
Old 25-10-2023, 17:43   #4961

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran

I am hard at work doing the final jobs to get my 44 constant Camber ready to launch. That's the good part. The bad part is that some scum sucking bilge pump broke into my boat yard and walked off with everything that wasn't nailed down, including my recently balanced and checked Marted folding prop. I haven't had much luck finding a replacement, but there are a lot of different sized used ones out there. My question is whether it is a good idea to have a machine shop bore out the bore to oversize ( mine is 1 1/8") or to bush down a larger one. I don't want to install junk, but the the theft has put a large hole in my beer and bait money. Any thoughts?
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:42   #4962

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...680432836.html

Met the builder/owner of this A-Frame 31' yesterday. Sounds like a great boat for the right person. He is most passionate about someone getting this back in the water and sailing.
slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 11:40   #4963

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

He'd do well to attach some pictures. The price is probably high for unassembled/ needing trailers etc...
Wood boats are already a challenging sale in a plastic world.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 22:04   #4964

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomBoatwork View Post
I am hard at work doing the final jobs to get my 44 constant Camber ready to launch. That's the good part. The bad part is that some scum sucking bilge pump broke into my boat yard and walked off with everything that wasn't nailed down, including my recently balanced and checked Marted folding prop. I haven't had much luck finding a replacement, but there are a lot of different sized used ones out there. My question is whether it is a good idea to have a machine shop bore out the bore to oversize ( mine is 1 1/8") or to bush down a larger one. I don't want to install junk, but the the theft has put a large hole in my beer and bait money. Any thoughts?
Sorry for your loss I just saw this- late I know. It is better to bush as it will have more strength.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 04:50   #4965

Jim Brown's Scrimshaw is for sale.

Searunner 31 -#1 - $17,000 (alva)
captqrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran