Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 26-06-2016, 01:37   #3436

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Sorry to see your nasty burn Mark. It is dangerous working with batteries. You can never be carefull enough with anything on a boat.

There was an a terrible accident just a couple weeks ago on a sailing boat going to Fiji from New Zealand. During the night in a gale the boom hit the watchman who died. At that moment another man raced up to help. Without a lifejacket or harnas. that boom i believe swung back and knocked him over the side.
Maybe that boom had broken from the mast ... not sure.
the others inside come up to assist to see this guy waving as the boat continued on its self steering course. they didnt have good knowledge on how to operate this yacht apparently ...... as it sailed onwards.
A hopeless situation of despair. A nightmare. I hate thinking about it.

Ordeal not over for stricken yacht with one dead, another missing | Stuff.co.nz
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 17:18   #3437

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I recall a story of one of the astronauts who was running to catch a pickup truck and hop aboard. His wedding ring caught on the tail gate and tore his finger off. I wear a watch but it's all plastic. Electrical situations are terrifying. Mark, you are a gifted writer, as well as an extraordinary craftsman. Please, take care. We need your talents and knowledge.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 20:00   #3438

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38 catamaran

Hi everyone,
I will appreciate any comments from members about demounting the 31" A frame model for shipping purposes. I am looking to purchase this specific model in North America and move it eventually to the MED where i live most of the year. Anyone had this experience before? Will it fit one 40" container? Is there an option in your experience to sail it over the Atlantic as an alternative?
A pleasure to read this forum so far....
BigZ
BigZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:20   #3439

Boat: Searunner 31

When demounted and carefully packed on a cradle the a-frame 31 is just under 8' wide and about 8' tall. You could probably fit it in an open top 40' container, but I don't know how you could slide it into a closed one. Height might be the trick part. There are some pictures in my profile of moving Pineapple Express by truck.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-07-2016, 08:56   #3440

Thanks! thats a start. I will look for the cradle design in your pics.
BigZ
Old 01-07-2016, 12:23   #3441

Boat: Boatless

The A-Frame by design has four lift points Two forward and two aft on the deck which allows for shackles to be attached with straps to be hoisted by a crane.
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 13:45   #3442

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
Hi everyone,
I will appreciate any comments from members about demounting the 31" A frame model for shipping purposes. I am looking to purchase this specific model in North America and move it eventually to the MED where i live most of the year. Anyone had this experience before? Will it fit one 40" container? Is there an option in your experience to sail it over the Atlantic as an alternative?
A pleasure to read this forum so far....
BigZ
Why look at this side of the pond? It seems prices are better there.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 21:10   #3443

Cadence hi,
I am looking for a 31A for the last few years. In Europe there are currently a 37 and a 40 for sale. A 31 is rare and i didn't find any for a very long time. I decided to look worldwide and sail it wherever i find it as long as it will make sense. I am in China every 2-3 months for work (lived there for 20 years) and if i find a boat in Europe or East Asia it will indeed make more sense. I did find many Wharram's in Europe but the smaller Trimarans are more appealing for me. I am considering buying a boat in the US or Canada and sailing it south for a few seasons and then we will see. Every day at a time.
Old 06-07-2016, 15:41   #3444

Yes that sounds like a good plan and i like that video looking down the reef from as if you are flying around like a bird.
Life is worth living that video certainly proves that.
Old 16-07-2016, 08:47   #3445

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I recall a story of one of the astronauts who was running to catch a pickup truck and hop aboard. His wedding ring caught on the tail gate and tore his finger off. I wear a watch but it's all plastic. Electrical situations are terrifying. Mark, you are a gifted writer, as well as an extraordinary craftsman. Please, take care. We need your talents and knowledge.

Thanks so much for the kind words Roy, and to you as well Ross! The finger is mostly healed up now, but it was a close one...

Our friend's dock, and where we keep the boat, is now with plumbing and properly wired to code as well. I wish all wiring was done, but we are into the boat's battery charger replacement as well. They do NOT like electrical storms, even with a surge protector.
Cheers to all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	127862  
Old 16-07-2016, 17:19   #3446

Hey Mark, since you own a Searunner 34... I was wondering if you knew what the difference is in the size of the interiors of the Searunner 34 verses the Marples 35?
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 17:56   #3447

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Hey Mark, since you own a Searunner 34... I was wondering if you knew what the difference is in the size of the interiors of the Searunner 34 verses the Marples 35?
If I were to build from scratch, for a "cruising" boat, (vs a full time liveaboard/cruiser), I would go for the CC35, because it would be less boat to maintain, simpler, and with less rigging, fewer compartments, fewer angles to maintain, and possibly a bit faster, on a slightly longer W.L. Many would say they are "prettier" too. I think so..

For us, wanting a full time liveaboard/cruiser, the ST34 was the ideal choice! It has way more accommodation, more cubbys to store lightweight but high volume gear, more room, bigger bunks, a little more stern castle room, more deck lockers, and is far easier to walk around on the flat decks. The vent hole is a good compromise between a fully winged over tri, and an open wing.
The 34, like all Searunners, are complicated "busy" designs, with a place for EVERYTHING, but at the cost of 12 hatches, etc. I would only want a one off tri that was WEST System with LP paint, for this reason.

So... For an occasional cruiser... The CC35 is my all time favorite boat, kept very simple and light. For full time liveaboard, and a reasonable amount of comfort for many years, for two, I'd go with the SR34. We feel VERY fortunate indeed, and have been through some serious **** with ours. I trust her with my life!
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 19:14   #3448

I figured the interior space would be less due to the 35's curves but I didn't even think about all the cubbys and hatches. Thanks for taking the time to respond with such detail. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
If I were to build from scratch, for a "cruising" boat, (vs a full time liveaboard/cruiser), I would go for the CC35, because it would be less boat to maintain, simpler, and with less rigging, fewer compartments, fewer angles to maintain, and possibly a bit faster, on a slightly longer W.L. Many would say they are "prettier" too. I think so..

For us, wanting a full time liveaboard/cruiser, the ST34 was the ideal choice! It has way more accommodation, more cubbys to store lightweight but high volume gear, more room, bigger bunks, a little more stern castle room, more deck lockers, and is far easier to walk around on the flat decks. The vent hole is a good compromise between a fully winged over tri, and an open wing.

The 34, like all Searunners, are complicated "busy" designs, with a place for EVERYTHING, but at the cost of 12 hatches, etc. I would only want a one off tri that was WEST System with LP paint, for this reason.

So... For an occasional cruiser... The CC35 is my all time favorite boat, kept very simple and light. For full time liveaboard, and a reasonable amount of comfort for many years, for two, I'd go with the SR34. We feel VERY fortunate indeed, and have been through some serious **** with ours. I trust her with my life!
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:03   #3449

Boat: 1971 Searunner 37

There is a CC 35 for sale on Yacht World at a good price. Lying Canada. Lots of photos of exterior and interior, looks to have good engine access from front and rear and exterior looks good.

It does not have the deep, long Searunner cockpit. On our SR 37, we spend 90 percent of our time there (has a hard dodger and hardtop connected by a fabric "bra") and sleep out there every chance we get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1476.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	127973  
aquavitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 01:52   #3450

Good Point Aquavitae
Yes the centre cockpit is indeed a nice place to hang out.
sleep and do over night watches.
I have a 37 Searunner
And it seems to be just right... but i suppose i would say that

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran