Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2009, 12:38   #31

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Endeavourcat is a fine coastal cruiser and quite roomy. If you really want to do serious bluewater cruising I would look at a cat with more beam and a lower center of gravity. It really depends on what you want to do with her. I would not hesitate to take her to the Bahamas or Carribean but I would want to be able to duck behind an island if the weather seriously turned to crap. I wrote up an honest appraisal of my experience with my Endeavourcat on a previous thread.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 13:36   #32

I noticed the narrow beam. I'm going to cruise the Carribean but I will also be heading out across the pacific to NZ so I want a WIDE boat with lots of room and big enough motors to get away from big weather.
jokler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 14:58   #33

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
We considered the Leopard 44 and the St. Francis 44 as well when we were looking. They are big roomy boats and each has its issues. You probably want to look for "owners editions" as the charter versions tend to have things like 4 heads, which you are not likely to need.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 15:49   #34
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
I am not sure where I read about sail drive lower seal replacement (could be on torrensens forum) being done underwater but where the lower oil drain plug is unscrew it and screw in a nipple plug attached to a 10' hose, drain oil with forced air to a bucket. Now that it is empty of oil you can take the shaft and gear off,,,,,once off the sail drive will fill with salt water but once you change the seals and reinstall everything, you can fill and empty with new oil till the water is gone. Keep in mind that all the parts inside the sail drive are heavy duty stainless steel, wont hurt them to get wet. Just spend the money on the quarts of gear oil you will need.
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 19:17   #35

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
I've had a few issues with the 2 Yanmar SD20 saildrives in our boat. One had a shaft seal leak not too long before I planned on hauling anyway.

After replacing shaft seals both sides and relaunching, I soon found water in one saildrive. (Fast forward, I eventually concluded it was because the Yanmar replacement drain plug oring is slightly different from original and easy to install improperly seated) I certainly didn't want to haul again, so I pumped out from the top what I could (about 1/3 of capacity) and replaced with new, repeatedly for a total of about 8 or 9 times, resulting in oil that looked good.

I had been troubled by the realization that the saildrive is not vented and frequently has what i considered a significant pressure differential, both ways. My solution was an expansion tank I made and located at least a foot above the waterline. I ran this idea by Yanmar before I executed, but failing to get an answer, when ahead with it.

This, to me, is the solution. There is always a slight pressure inside the saildrive that should keep water out, barring a major failure. Checking/adding oil is much easier. I also use Amsoil synthetic oil for extended oil changes, which also claims to be able to perform with 10% water contamination.

I do worry about the aluminum housing. Initially, I hung zinc guppies attached to each saildrive. But after installing a galvanic isolator, this appeared to be unnecessary, so I stopped. My zincs last 2 years between hauling, and still have a lot of life. As an alternative, I have read of installing a disconnect switch in the engine ground cable to be switched off when plugged in, but not sure that's a good idea. I've heard that saildrives are more prevalent in Europe where perhaps shore power is not used so abundantly.

Lastly, at 9 years , I still have the original saildrive bottom seals. Not sure when I should replace them, but I think about it. If I had a saildrive piercing the bottom of a keelboat (as opposed to mounted in the stern compartments of our cat), I'd think about it a lot more.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 04:47   #36
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Reality check, the outer boot (where baracles/growth would be a problem) are NOT intended to seal off the saildrive - they are really there in order to smooth the flow of water around the saildrive. They frequently come loose and there is absolutely NO impact on the watertight integrity of the installation.

As to not taking a Chrysler 26 bluewater sailing, I absolutely agree; however, the fact that it had a saildrive (not sure of the manufacturer or vintage) would not have been a factor.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 15:29   #37
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Something else was up with this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I watched a video of a rescue at sea where a Cat with sail drives was sailing along, minding it's own business when a whale surfaced directly under the boat. One of the sail drives was square on the whale's back and was driven straight up and through the boat. Needless to say, this was catastrophic and mayday and rescue followed.

Probably 1 in a million, but it happened and there's video on the net of the rescue.
I remember that video mostly because of the unconventional rescue attempt. The boat was a FP Belize it think and after chartering a Bahia earlier this year, I can't see how the water flooded from one engine compartment to the other. It would have had to flood the engine compartment 3' higher then the waterline in order to cross over to the other compartment. That was just too weird.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 16:40   #38

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokler View Post
I didn't want to startanother thread but I'm looking at this boat and wanted your opinion. I haven't made a serious enquiry yet. If you would like to keep your comments private that is fine by me. Here is the link... MANTA 42' LONG REACH Used Catamaran For Sale
One thing about the Manta.

NO ONE comes close to having as nice a cockpit.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 17:14   #39

I was attracted to that... It looked very user friendly. Ithink that could come in handy since I'm going to need a boat I can sail pretty much by myself.
jokler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 19:23   #40

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokler View Post
I was attracted to that... It looked very user friendly. Ithink that could come in handy since I'm going to need a boat I can sail pretty much by myself.
It might only be a 38 foot boat in 42 ft shoes but it was my number one pick after years of "looking".

I just didn't have the money and wanted to get out now, so lowered my sights a bit.

There is another company making a boat that might be even better but it really costs. I will see if I can remember where to find the info.
Old 15-09-2009, 18:48   #41

Boat: boat less ATM
My new sail drive about to go in

here are pics of my new sail drive being lifted in.
BTW there are seven others just like this one on the boat I am on - Ocean Courage semisubmersible oil rig - brand new and on tow to the Gulf of Mexico from Singapore shipyard.

SORRY, guys - a bit off thread but she does sail with a bit of wind astern and is a catamaran as it sits on two pontoons.

I have suggested to the captain that as we are going so damm slow with only one tug (5 kts) that we rig a sail between the two cranes. I think gybing might be exciting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thruster 1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	9954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thruster 2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	451.7 KB
ID:	9955  

svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 20:12   #42

Location: I live in Soutbridge, MA and Sail out of New Bedford
Boat: 82 O'day 25, Shadubie
I purchased my 82 O'day 25 with an OMC saildrive. The motor was toast/seized and from what I read not worth fixing...I opted to remove the whole thing and put an out board on the back off to the side like you see everywhere. In the process of taking this unit out I realized the lower unit was in excellent condition and I could turn the folding nicely, even with my fingers . I also realized that I could have installed a new motor right on this lower unit. An off the shelf Honda verical motor or the more expensive, I believe Volvo. The lower unit has the most amazing seal...I would say nothing could breaks this seal by accident. I ended up cutting the fiberglass around it to get the lower unit off. I seal up the hole with lots of fiber glass cloth and resin and you would never know it was ever there. I realize now that an Outboard motor is not a very good compromise, but it works. Not good for motorsailing. my outboard lift out of the water when seas are over a foot. and when I'm healed to starboard. Now after experiencing this weakness I would rather have a prop centered just aft of the keel. If I had to do it over again...I would stick with the sail drive lower unit and have a flange machined to fit the lower unit and a new motor. There are a number of options out there. I could have even installed a small electric motor. there are only three or four bolts that hold thay old OMC down on the lower unit. peice-a-cake.
avril25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 20:17   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I will see if I can remember where to find the info.
Can't find.
Old 16-09-2009, 08:05   #44

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
COOL PICTURES

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
here are pics of my new sail drive being lifted in.
BTW there are seven others just like this one on the boat I am on - Ocean Courage semisubmersible oil rig - brand new and on tow to the Gulf of Mexico from Singapore shipyard.

SORRY, guys - a bit off thread but she does sail with a bit of wind astern and is a catamaran as it sits on two pontoons.

I have suggested to the captain that as we are going so damm slow with only one tug (5 kts) that we rig a sail between the two cranes. I think gybing might be exciting.
I liked the quote in the signature line too.

Never have seen a vessel like that submersible drilling rig - like a submarine with a drill on the front. Fascinating.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 01:11   #45

Boat: Lagoon 47
Sail Drives by a Whisker

I would opt for the saildrives for one simple, important reason -- isolated, water tight engine rooms.

It's a feature I gave nary a thought to until living with them for months. They are now my first or second requirement for a new boat.

Separate, watertight engine rooms are essential for heat isolation, noise isolation, smell isolation, seawater isolation and, heaven forbid, a precious few minutes of fire isolation.

I personally know of two boats that have sunk due to mis-aligned shafts, and seal issues. If your engine room is isolated, that will *never* happen, ever. Sure, some maintenance is a pain, it's true, but the trade off is worth it, and those stuffing boxes aren't exactly fun to stick your nose up to every time you get moving to be sure the drip drip is just right (yes, I know there are dripless options, but they are maintenance issues too).

When I start my Venezia's engines the first time with a new guest aboard they all say the same thing... "Is that it?"

The silence is truly golden, and the peace of mind of knowing that if one of them gets ripped off in some catastrophic grounding or freak whale encounter or whatever, the worst that will happen is a flooded engine room and a slow sail home.

The guys with the shaft were picked up by the coast guard.
petert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saildrive