Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2008, 07:59   #1
cruiser

Heating a Catamaran

Ok, I know... I'm posting too much. So many new questions though. Just let me know if I should shut up.

Question: Has anyone ever succussfully heated their catamaran from a single point source of heat?

I know most of you cruise in waters where it's warm, or have Espar diesel heaters and all that, but has anyone heated from point source?

I am wondering how my beloved "Little Cod" wood stove will work out in the new cat. If you put it up in the salon, you have some very chilly hulls.

If you put it down in one hull, you wind up with one warm hull, a hot salon and one very chilly hull. Don't tell me I need 2 wood stoves too!! lol
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 08:02   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hey Sean you could get 2 Sardines.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 08:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Sullivan,
Actually I have been wondering the same thing but thought it might be a silly question. I guess the solution is to put one small heater in each hull or to heat only one hull and let the heat rise into the salon area....and wear a jacket when going in the other hull.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 08:13   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Sean, it is very difficult to heat a Cat without an Espar (or similar) forced air system. Of course, at dock you can always use some electric space heaters. Underway, assuming you have a galley down, you may be able to heat one hull with the stove (and something on a burner to assist in distributing the heat - some recommend inverted clay pots held in place by the potholders) and the use of 12 V fans. In the other hull you could try a propane bulkhead mounted stove and fans; alternatively, you could try a portable tent heater (although even on a cat, i would want some means of securing it to the cabin sole). Heat, of course, rises and with the assistance of fans you should be able to get some of it up to the bridgedeck accomodation (particularly if the there is a large opening between the galley and saloon).

As to a wood stove - as you know, weight is the enemy in a catamaran so I would certainly be inclined to a lighter stove with a lighter fuel supply.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 08:14   #5
cruiser

I'm glad someone else was thinking this too.

I was thinking of maybe have the Cod in one hull, then using a fan to blow hot air from the salon down into the other hull. I don't like relying on electricity for heating, but there seems to be little choice, aside from dual chimneys and dual Sardines. ha ha
Old 13-02-2008, 08:15   #6

Boat: privilege 37
Talking

we use a wet system from a single point desil heater.
works well have also disconected the clorifier from the engins and have plumbed it into the heating. so can heat hot water and heating from one sorce, also have towel radiator in heads for nice warm towel.
so if you made a boiler for your wood burner you could pump water round the boat.
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 08:17   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Sean, it is very difficult to heat a Cat without an Espar (or similar) forced air system. Of course, at dock you can always use some electric space heaters. Underway, assuming you have a galley down, you may be able to heat one hull with the stove (and something on a burner to assist in distributing the heat - some recommend inverted clay pots held in place by the potholders) and the use of 12 V fans. In the other hull you could try a propane bulkhead mounted stove and fans; alternatively, you could try a portable tent heater (although even on a cat, i would want some means of securing it to the cabin sole). Heat, of course, rises and with the assistance of fans you should be able to get some of it up to the bridgedeck accomodation (particularly if the there is a large opening between the galley and saloon).

As to a wood stove - as you know, weight is the enemy in a catamaran so I would certainly be inclined to a lighter stove with a lighter fuel supply.

Brad
The weight factor shouldn't be an issue, given that if I'm heating with a wood stove, I'm not out sailing. I'm staying put usually. In the fall and spring, if I'm sailing, all the heating equipment might way 200lbs, including wood, 60lb Little Cod and paper to start the fire with.

I guess I have quite a few months to figure this one out... but it did get me thinking...
Old 13-02-2008, 08:19   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip van praag View Post
we use a wet system from a single point desil heater.
works well have also disconected the clorifier from the engins and have plumbed it into the heating. so can heat hot water and heating from one sorce, also have towel radiator in heads for nice warm towel.
so if you made a boiler for your wood burner you could pump water round the boat.
Interesting... possibly would work.
Old 13-02-2008, 08:24   #9
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
You'll find that cats are easy to plumb. A hot water system might be feasible as it certainly works for hot showers.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 08:25   #10
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Sean, Philips suggestion makes some sense. I have read of people using a used car heater core from the heat-exchanger on the diesel - this would certainly be an effective and inexpensive way to get some additional heat when underway.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 09:19   #11

Boat: privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Sean, Philips suggestion makes some sense. I have read of people using a used car heater core from the heat-exchanger on the diesel - this would certainly be an effective and inexpensive way to get some additional heat when underway.
yes the little rads that are in each cabin are the same as found on cars ,with computer fans behind.
with a togle switch for each you can chose which cabins to heat and the hole thin is run by a household heating clock. so heating comes on befor we get up.
but dont supose you can get an auto wood chooper and loader.
i have also seen some type of fan that sits on top af the wood stove and uses a heat exchanger to blow the warm air
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 09:27   #12

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
I have a Webasto system that was originally developed for truckers in Scandinavia. A separate system for each hull (although a central on/off & timing control). The system can be turned off in each area independently. Hot water is pumped round the boat and at each outlet air is blow across the pipes. I'm told this is better than a purely hot air system. It allows me (like Philip) to have a heated towel rail in the heads, which is great. It wasn't cheap but it sure as hell works! Weight-wise, I think I'd avoid a solid fuel system, even if you weren't planning on using it whilst sailing. Mind you, I'm also told that solid fuel systems provide 'dry' heat so are better.....decisions decisions
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 09:50   #13

Design a hot water system with blowers. You can add the heat where you want it, and control it a lot better than a single source point.

The "boiler" should use a fuel which is available and safe. I would go for diesel if you engines run on diesel.

Hoses/pipes are much easier to deal with than air ducts.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 09:58   #14

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Having personally experinced heating our cat in MD over a winter I would not recommend using eleictric space heaters. This was several years ago in 2003 when the prices for electric were much lower. We were spending over 370 a month just to heat and it was still chilly inside. I would hate to think about how much it would cost today. If I were going to live aboard in the cold climes the cost would be worth it.

I didn't want to spend any money on adding a forced air heater (~$3Kish) because were were only going to be at the dock for 3 months before heading out at the end of Feb. I was to busy adding other equipment. It just didn't make sense financially or time wise.

I know this doesn't answer whether we successfully heated Makai using a single source but it does point out the cost if you planning on using the makeshift heating for a long time.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 10:16   #15

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Ok, I know... I'm posting too much. So many new questions though. Just let me know if I should shut up.

Question: Has anyone ever succussfully heated their catamaran from a single point source of heat?

I know most of you cruise in waters where it's warm, or have Espar diesel heaters and all that, but has anyone heated from point source?

I am wondering how my beloved "Little Cod" wood stove will work out in the new cat. If you put it up in the salon, you have some very chilly hulls.

If you put it down in one hull, you wind up with one warm hull, a hot salon and one very chilly hull. Don't tell me I need 2 wood stoves too!! lol
I have a single reverse-cycle air conditioning unit that provides heat in my salon. God alone knows why. If anyone ever finds me and my boat in a part of the world where you need heating, please shoot me on sight. I will obviously be suffering from dementia and you'll be doing me a favour!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating