Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2013, 12:46   #346

Boat: None currently.
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Jim did agree to spending some time with me on the phone, and he would not make any recommendations regarding the boat. He did say it would be wet and loud sailing to weather.

I'm moving in another direction now. No Moon Dog for me. Too massive a boat. I'm focusing on cats now.

While searching the Craigslist ads I came across this MacGregor power boat conversion and it made me start thinking of converting it back to a sailboat and adding a lightweight "bridge deck" with enough room to sit up inside for protection from the weather.

36' CATAMARAN 25K OBO

Would that be nuts, or something worth considering more seriously?

It seemed to me that the 36' length would lend itself to blue water traveling. Of course I realize it doesn't provide the room for the family of 4, which probably wasn't going to happen anyway. The "wife" isn't the adventurous type, I suspect that's a well known issue among you.

It would provide a very practical (trailerable), somewhat comfortable and fast platform, not that speed is critical.

Just brainstorming to be sure I'm not overlooking something that's right in my "backyard". I certainly wouldn't pay the $25k he's asking.
CraigDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 18:41   #347

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Craig. Here's that 35' cat that we all liked.
35' Sailing Catamaran
Old 27-05-2013, 18:45   #348

Boat: JIm Brown Searunner 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Strange that Jim would be so disinterested in Craig's email, if the history is correct. It looks like a giant Seaclipper 28 to me.
The RF 45 design resulted in 2 boats. Moon Dog and Bamboo by Brent Whipple. Bamboo was well known in Sausalito in the 80s. Ended up in Puerto Vallarta as a successful charter boat till it got impounded in a tangle with the port captain. tied up to the sea wall for years in Nuevo Vallarta. Rotted from the drip lines down it was amazing that she still floated. Was finally dumped on shore behind the high rises of Nuevo Vallarta in the bushes. Mast was salvaged. Moondog did 2 trips to the south pacific with Jo. The second he and his wife Joanne did non stop 5000 miles in 6 weeks arriving in Monterey. My friend Ken and I bought her soon after as Jo was back to settle his family estate as his father had past away. Ken and I sailed up to SF and he ended up buying me out. Moondog never left the bay again. I have been very fortunate to have spent a lot of time with Jim over the last 14 years. I was the crew when Jim and Jo sailed Jo's 35' seaclippers "Good Enough" from Key West to Isla Mueres off of Cancun in 06. Either Craig was referring to the boat as mad dog or as Jim is going on 80 he probably wants leave the RF 45 alone. Jim was on Doggone this last sept in Sausalito when he was out visiting. I had mentioned to him then that I had hoped that Moondog would be on the bay again and he said that he would love it. Too many people that I have talked to either want to change it radically or something. With the mast up, which I believe is salvageable, and spiffed up she is one fine balanced boat. Modern, clean lines. Nice shear bow. deserves a new home.
Doggone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 23:51   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Craig. Here's that 35' cat that we all liked.
35' Sailing Catamaran
Thanks!
That looks interesting, except that it's about 5,000 miles from me. I'm in Hawaii.
Old 28-05-2013, 00:03   #350

Follow up on the 36' MacGregor cat.
I spoke with the seller today and it turns out the "conversion' was the result of a rigging failure. The mast was bent, so it is not available, but everything else, including sails, are included.
It sounds like he would let it go for $20k. I told him I wouldn't want the new 40 HP motor. I'd put a smaller, less expensive one on there.

Thoughts?
Old 28-05-2013, 12:29   #351

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

If you were to go that route I have a Mac 36 mast ,modified mast base,some of the chainplates standing rigging, some sails,and a partially built center cabin and probably some other stuff,and a lot of knowledge of these boats.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 12:47   #352

Thanks Steve.
How much weight can these boats handle?
Can you send me some pictures of your cabin? (craigdc at att dot net)
I found a couple more MacGregor 36's on the west coast that are rigged as sailboats for less money, and one includes a trailer. (That gives me the option of shipping it here.)
I live in Hawaii, so shipping a mast would be VERY expensive.

Do you think this would be a safe rig to sail from Hawaii to the South Pacific?

Craig
Old 01-06-2013, 20:09   #353

Aloha Folks!
Given the lack of any response to the M36 plan, I have abandoned it in favor of a Trimaran. So I found a 70's era Brown 37' Searunner. Here is the reply from the seller when I asked him for more info on the boat:

"Let me explain the main reason why the other owners want to sell the boat. The present owners are a non profit organization which has fallen on hard times and are not able to pay the dock fees any longer. One of the principle officers of the non profit is my mom, so that explains the level of my involvement. I am not the owner but have managed and skippered the boat when she is sea worthy. As you can probably tell by the very low selling price she is not currently ocean worthy. Although it should not take too much effort to make her sea worthy again. We originally paid $9000 for the boat plus the cost of the replacement engine and its installation which was about $3500 more. The engine alone is probably worth around $2000 - $3000.

We bought the boat about 3 years ago. Some highlights of the trip home after purchasing her: We knew there was an approaching storm so we sought refuge in a Harbor. On the last leg, I topped her out with a tail wind at around 10 - 12 knots! She was docked for about a week until the winter storm passed and then we continued north. During the first leg of the final leg, we weathered swells up to 15' no problem. I know she is very sound for this type of weather as her marine ply glassed hulls had no problems with the large swells. I believe she could handle rough weather up to 20' - 25' swells no problem.

Once we docked at her present home, I was able to take her out a few times but quickly discovered that the replacement engine was too powerful for the old folding prop which was now not the correct pitch and size. The old engine was I believe a 15 hp Perkins and the replacement Kubota Diesel is 28 hp. Unfortunately the 1" propeller shaft now has a small cut that was made by accident by the guy I hired to replace the propeller. I put on the new bronze replacement propeller which is the perfect size and pitch for the engine and boat. For now the plan is to have the prop cover the cut in the shaft as a temporary measure. Prior to going out on a long ocean trip it would be advised to properly repair or replace the shaft.

The Kubota diesel engine runs very well when it is fired up. The batteries worked but should probably be replaced at some point. The deck has some soft spots interspersed (mostly on the sides and back where the ama's are connected but I don't know the full extent of the deck repairs that are needed.) I would say other than resurfacing some of the spots which are de-laminated probably 20% of the deck wood could need replacing. The front cabin is in great shape, the rear cabin has about a 3' x 3' section on the port side and a 1' x 2' section on the starboard side which needs interior wood replacement. The rear hatch needs to be replaced but works okay for now. The sails are usable, functional but not high performance in their present condition. The rigging is in really good condition but some of the sheets and halyards could be replaced. There are also 2 small cuts, (one in the bow and one on the starboard side ama) that were made by the previous owner which still need to be re-glassed. The wood underneath those cuts should still be fine. The 28 hp Kubota diesel engine also has an alternator which has not been hooked up. Also, the toilet is not currently functional. I investigated getting it fixed a while back and it is possible to get it repaired. Or one could replace it with a newer toilet or simply pull it out and put in a porta-potty. The hulls are in good shape with no leaks as I check them regularly. I checked the bilges recently and the only place where there is any water is in the front cabin bilge. I don't believe there is a leak and this is probably seasonal water from winter. I scraped and cleaned the hulls last week. The hulls probably could use some sanding and new paint. The hulls are bone dry solid and no soft spots that I could find whatsoever. The boat appears to have been built in the 1970s. The last time the boat was out of the water, a bit of pressure was applied to the rudder and it popped out of the mounting brackets which attach the rudder to the stern. No damage was done and the rudder simply needs to be lifted up and placed back into and tightened to the bracket."

Is this boat worth $6k and how much would the repairs run, if I do them myself. I suspect it would be a good idea to have a surveyor check it over.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR Aft.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	61710   Click image for larger version

Name:	SR Bow.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	61711  

Name:	SR Castle.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	61712   Click image for larger version

Name:	SR Head.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	61714  

Name:	SR SB.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	61716  
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2013, 20:42   #354

Bigger versions of the 2 small photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SR Sailing Away.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	61717   Click image for larger version

Name:	SR Cockpit.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	61718  

Old 01-06-2013, 21:01   #355

You should post this in the Searunner thread. Those guys know.
Old 03-06-2013, 20:21   #356

A big one priced right.
2012 Custom 52 Catamaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 05-06-2013, 10:12   #357

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran

Hello

I am thinking about buying this one
1970 CSK Catamaran 50' CATAMARAN KETCH Sail New and Used Boats for

anyone any thoughts good or bad .... it seems cheap.
damianham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 15:25   #358

It's been for sale for a while but with a different broker I think. Wasn't it $50,000? Crappy specs or lack there of. Inquire about:
1. Epoxy or polyester and fully wrapped?
2. 1 or 2 engines, rebuilds etc. I see 2 props?
3. Recent survey? Osmosis, Soft spots.
4. Beam? Some older boats were fairly narrow.
5. List of everything, original or replacement and date.

Good Luck
Old 05-06-2013, 18:33   #359

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Find out if it is a CSK yard built boat, that adds to the value. I like the old Rudy Choy designs, most will sail right past the new catamarans.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 18:41   #360
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
I would also guess no osmosis and probably polyester?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle