Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2007, 15:10   #1

Beau's Boat

39 ft Power/sail aluminium trimaran well underway.
I had a professional boatbuilder and a welder complete the shell in 14 working days. I helped out but I could not recommend aluminium as a DIY after watching the professionals.
I have built in fiberglass before but I am now sold on Aluminium. I believe it is less expensive and better if you run aground. You do need insulation, I have 50mm of foam. But as I said I really don't recommend it as a DIY material.
Aluminium arrived all cut out and marked and I agreed on an hourly rate with the boat yard. It did cost more than I estimated, about 20% more but I got a lot of extras done at well. Mast, Stanchions, trim tabs etc.
The outriggers and the internal fuel tanks took a lot more work, than I expected.
Christine and I are doing the fit out, ourselves.
I hope to be on the water in four weeks.
I ended up buying two Honda 30 Hp outboard which will give me a 10 knot cruise speed with one motor and 20 knots with both motors.
The Hull uses what I call a low friction "Triflection principle" below the water line, no bow wave is formed even at twenty knots.
More information is avaible if you are interested.
Beau
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beaus boat 1.jpg
Views:	1208
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	1480   Click image for larger version

Name:	beaus boat2.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	1481  

beau is offline   Reply With Quote