Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 05:33   #61

Boat: Mason 43 cutter
Re: What Makes the Hunter a Coastal Cruiser ?

We have sailed a Catalina 38 from Los Angeles to Mexico, FP, Samoa. Along the way we had the opportunity to see some Hunters out there performing offshore work. One particular passage was wicked, a Bristol Channel Cutter suffered a broken mast, a J-Boat broke a boom, a cal 40 had a knock down with broken parts, and a Hunter suffered no damage.
We met another couple who had sailed their Hunter DDS 41 to Samoa.

We sold our Catalina 38 in Samoa and the kid we sold it to promptly took it out and broke it, broke the crush tube on the windvane, broke the tiller and broke a lower shroud. Then he told me " this boat was not made for the Southern Ocean". Well, I'll wager he sailed it unbalanced with just a reefed main sail and no heaqd sail up in big wind. it's the only way to break a crush tube unless you hit something.

We sailed the same boat in 25 foot seas and 50 kt winds, the point being it's how you prep the boat and how you sail the boat that determines the length of it's life at sea.
Rod Headlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:29   #62
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I'm just very protective of my Hunter. Ford and Chevvy made cars available to most people. Hunter did the same thing, but I think they did it very well. For instance, my 1983 doesn't have a single deck-to-hull leak -- ANYWHERE. All original windows, and only one of them leaks.
You are right of course................I'm an anti Hunter snob! And NONE of my windows leak!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:41   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

Probably a waterlogged core
Hey- I dry my core every time I shower! 
My husband thinks it's my provisioning- we could probably live for a month or two. Ya just never know when you may need an extra can of tuna or beans! Actually the brochure is a stripped down model and we are live aboards with generator & stuff. It's our home so it's different.

Someone was talking about tanks being adequate. Our 45 has 100 gallons of fuel and 200 of water. When we are out for months at a time it makes life easier. We still take jerrycans of each for passages for emergencies.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:25   #64

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Well, it sounds like Hunter has big tanks in the big boats. Weekend cruiser sized boats have weekend sized tanks. A sound plan.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:41   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Headlee View Post
We have sailed a Catalina 38 from Los Angeles to Mexico, FP, Samoa. Along the way we had the opportunity to see some Hunters out there performing offshore work. One particular passage was wicked, a Bristol Channel Cutter suffered a broken mast, a J-Boat broke a boom, a cal 40 had a knock down with broken parts, and a Hunter suffered no damage.
We met another couple who had sailed their Hunter DDS 41 to Samoa.

We sold our Catalina 38 in Samoa and the kid we sold it to promptly took it out and broke it, broke the crush tube on the windvane, broke the tiller and broke a lower shroud. Then he told me " this boat was not made for the Southern Ocean". Well, I'll wager he sailed it unbalanced with just a reefed main sail and no heaqd sail up in big wind. it's the only way to break a crush tube unless you hit something.

We sailed the same boat in 25 foot seas and 50 kt winds, the point being it's how you prep the boat and how you sail the boat that determines the length of it's life at sea.
What is a "crush tube"?...I have a friend that has a Hunter 33 and he can sail it hard and fast..It does have a bad crack in the mast support inside the cabin but it doesnt stop him from sailing all out...of course he is a very experienced sailor..and I know of a Hunter that sailed to Guam and that is no short or easy task...to each his own..I like old (CCA era) full keeled boats myself...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:12   #66

Boat: Newport 30 mk11

I have owned a hunter 26 water balast boat since 1996. I think when people talk about coastal cruisers this is the type of hunter they think about. I have used this boat on lake Superior, Michigan and up to 40 miles off the Florida keys. It has crossed lake Michigan and Superior, in good weather and bad. I have been in 8-10 ft seas off of florida in the gulf stream in this boat it was not comfortable, but the boat didnt break, . I made sure to have out the least amount of sail possible to keep steerage, during those times that it was that rough. The larger hunters are built alot stronger. I went to the plant in florida to pick mine up new. They gave me a plant tour and showed me the construction process of all their boats. My boat has been used every season for the past 15 yrs, it has at least 24,000 miles on the trailer alone. As everyone knows boats can take a beating just being hauled around. I think people just cant stand it when some one can purchase something for less and have as much fun as someone paying 4 times as much. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks Chuck P.S. I also own a 25ft bayliner buccaneer/Triton 25
trapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:42   #67

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I had the same thing in a racecar. It culminated with a guy pitted next to me at the track asking me why my $7000.00 car was so much faster than his $140,000.00 car.
It makes you feel good to know that you're really getting not only the most for your money but also so much more than some other folks. Not out of bitterness so much but it's just that you may not be able to afford the finer things in life but you can still choose to have the finest of experiences in life.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:06   #68
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I had the same thing in a racecar. It culminated with a guy pitted next to me at the track asking me why my $7000.00 car was so much faster than his $140,000.00 car.
It makes you feel good to know that you're really getting not only the most for your money but also so much more than some other folks. Not out of bitterness so much but it's just that you may not be able to afford the finer things in life but you can still choose to have the finest of experiences in life.
Well said ....DVC
Old 06-11-2011, 09:35   #69
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the is lack of knowledge and there is envy.
hunter is not the only marque to be bashed for stuff not necessarily true.
one must SAIL everything before making statements denigrating the boat in question. knowledge base is of great importance. one time out in a boat is not SAILING it.
during my year in gulf of mexico sailing, we buddied with 2 hunter owners--one had bilge keels and one was "normal"--- they were both fast-- bilge keel model was 50 ft, the normal one was 45 ft. we were in a 37 siedlmann. both boats were fast, and the interiors were impressive. i didnt like the openness of the interiors, but that in my own problem. (we all know what i like in a cruiser). the only problem with the bilge keeled model was the man was always running aground...not fault of boat---i dont know if i would buy one, as i dont like the current trends in design, but they SEEM to be an enjoyable boat-- they are beamy, but i dont know about rolling in an anchorage, which can be a problem in a beamy boat, and i didnt see them take seas....but they were very comfortable in a protected anchorage, and awesome for enjoying a dinner with friends.

ps--i didnt like the seidelmann......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 18:06   #70

They say " any idiot can criticize " so please let me join in too?

Hunters are gathers-like men?

We ,sometimes are the worst human beings and some times we bring home the food.

At the end of the day a Hunter is a gatherer and if you can eat and maybe even better -If you can sail-any Hunter or any Sailor is a good thing?

I and everyone else -if they tell the truth-like the niche that Hunter has brought to the world of sailing.

Would I go offshore in a Hunter?

HELL NO !

but ,then again -if the lady was as pretty as some Hunters and she knew how to sail?

In a heartbeat.YES!

It ain't the boat if she knows how to sail ya!

or even better-if ya know how to sail her.

Hunters ,in my eyes -are beautiful boats and I would like to have one too.

Cheers!
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 18:46   #71
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post
They say " any idiot can criticize " so please let me join in too?

Hunters are gathers-like men?

We ,sometimes are the worst human beings and some times we bring home the food.

At the end of the day a Hunter is a gatherer and if you can eat and maybe even better -If you can sail-any Hunter or any Sailor is a good thing?

I and everyone else -if they tell the truth-like the niche that Hunter has brought to the world of sailing.

Would I go offshore in a Hunter?

HELL NO !

but ,then again -if the lady was as pretty as some Hunters and she knew how to sail?

In a heartbeat.YES!

It ain't the boat if she knows how to sail ya!

or even better-if ya know how to sail her.

Hunters ,in my eyes -are beautiful boats and I would like to have one too.

Cheers!
Why would you not go off shore in a Hunter? I know people that say this and that airplane is a spam-can and they would not fly one...but when you ask if they ever owend or flowen in one they say..well.. no.. but, I heard this or that about them..please...DVC
Old 06-11-2011, 19:05   #72

"I" would never go offshore in a Hunter...

"I" would never go offshore on an Amel-either.

I would go offshore in anything with someone who knew enough of the vessel "we" were sailing in.

Sorry-I knew I shouldn't have been n idiot and criticized.

just my humble opinion as a boat builder and a sailor-who loves women-who love hunters and gatherers.

Cheers

Hunters are sexy and cheap

my kind of woman....

I like good bang for the buck,fair enough?
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 19:24   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie

I would go offshore in anything with someone who knew enough of the vessel "we" were sailing in.

just my humble opinion as a boat builder and a sailor-who loves women-who love hunters and gatherers.

Cheers

my kind of woman....

They are also fast and easy...to get  Sorry, couldn't resist LOL
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 19:26   #74
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post

Cheers

my kind of woman....

Hunter /Gatherers ..Hahahah..me too...dvc..you aint so crazy after all...
Old 06-11-2011, 19:53   #75
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
You are right of course................I'm an anti Hunter snob! And NONE of my windows leak!
Well one leak isn't so bad, and there are none around the toe rail.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter