Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 20:28   #76

Boat: Newport 30 mk11
Re: What Makes the Hunter a Coastal Cruiser ?

Windows leaking I can handle its when the hull leaks that I start to worry
trapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 20:42   #77

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I didn't bow in earlier to talk a bunch of smack, but here it is. I've been stuck in this boatyard for 4 months trying to finish my refit that wasn't supposed to be a refit and there have been three Hunter 31's here. One was T-boned amidships and repaired, that couldn't be the builder's fault. The other two grounded the keel into something and were leaking at the keel/hull joint. That is rather concerning to me, no real damage to the keel worth fixing but the hulls leak.
On the other side of the coin, no Hunter 31 that has gone aground around here that isn't leaking will end up in the boatyard for repairs so my study group consists only of those with symptoms.
Still, I'd rather not see leaky hulls from groundings.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:18   #78
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Still, I'd rather not see leaky hulls from groundings.

And just where was the hull leaking from?

I would guess the "hull" never hit anything, just the keel. Takes a pretty good grounding to knock a keel so hard that it cause a hull to leak.

Sounds like less of a boat problem and more of an idiot problem.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:45   #79
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebristol View Post
I'm sure it's personal bias (really) but a nice, thick, dependable backstay just feels good in a really solid gale. I just like seeing it up there. It lets me know that the rig will still be there in the morning. But hey, that's just me. The true engineers among us may well disagree.
I have a nice, thick, dependable backstay on my 1983 Hunter.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:05   #80
CLOD

damn my mast is going to be down next time I see my boat.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:19   #81

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
damn my mast is going to be down next time I see my boat.
Now I understand why you are like that on your Avatar....just waiting to happen

You now Pogo 12.50? high tech very fast cruiser with huge sails capable of going upwind over 16K ...they don't have one either.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 19:23   #82

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 37 cutter

Hunters are good coastal cruisers because they have the amenities that suite that style of cruising, in that its only a couple of weeks if that, and not across an ocean. When you start doing those things, there's a boat for that. There's not one boat that does it all. If you look at boats built up north, they like not having hatches, no opening portlights, everything is closed up. Down south, heck, open up the winders and let the breeze thru. Just like the Cherubini's were made for shallow water bahamas cruising with their shallow draft, get a Hans Christain for ocean crossings.
Also, don't buy a boat between 86 and about 91-92. That's because the EPA made boat builders change from polyester resin to epoxy resins and they hadn't had any experience with epoxy and yea, some builders had real problems. As far as what makes an Island Packet cost more than a Hunter, it's the little extras, whether they're in the cabinets, or all over. Epoxy boats ended up being lighter, which also makes them less comfortable in rougher waters.
Kb
s/v Renasci,
Jacksonville, Florida
Renasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 20:29   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renasci View Post
Hunters are good coastal cruisers because they have the amenities that suite that style of cruising, in that its only a couple of weeks if that, and not across an ocean. When you start doing those things, there's a boat for that. There's not one boat that does it all. If you look at boats built up north, they like not having hatches, no opening portlights, everything is closed up. Down south, heck, open up the winders and let the breeze thru. Just like the Cherubini's were made for shallow water bahamas cruising with their shallow draft, get a Hans Christain for ocean crossings.
Also, don't buy a boat between 86 and about 91-92. That's because the EPA made boat builders change from polyester resin to epoxy resins and they hadn't had any experience with epoxy and yea, some builders had real problems. As far as what makes an Island Packet cost more than a Hunter, it's the little extras, whether they're in the cabinets, or all over. Epoxy boats ended up being lighter, which also makes them less comfortable in rougher waters.
Kb
s/v Renasci,
Jacksonville, Florida

My Hunter 31' would be a comfortable boat for a long cruise because of its spscious salon. It has a v-berth that will pack two people 'cozy' and an aft berth that gives more body space but less head space, and is close enough to the engine that it might well smell of engine at the end of the day. personally I use it for storage.

But it has a high freeboard and is tender, whch can meke it not unmanageable but tricky in higher winds. I would want to practice that before leaving, know when you need to put the reefs in.

Also, many have Hood 810 headsails, and they can be difficult to reliably reduce in size. I think I have figured out a solution -- a clip on a short line on the drum, and a clip on the pulpit. In theory, connecting these clips should keep the furler for deploying past where you thought you locked it off. i have not tested it yet.

The boat has relatively small holding tanks and fresh water tanks, and the stove isn't the best. Mine has alcohol, and the other Hunter I looked at used compressed natural gas. I'd have to drive from St. Petersburg to Miami to get it, and of course the Miami place could close.

It also has a small galley (SMALL) but I have fixed that by incorporating the nav table, which is directly opposite, into the galley as well.

It is a fast boat, an advantage on a long cruise.

It is a tender boat. You would probably be safe in rough, big seas, but I think it's the rare sailor who wouldn't finally experience some seasickness, especially if below.
Old 27-01-2012, 03:43   #84

Boat: Irwin 40

"Also, don't buy a boat between 86 and about 91-92. That's because the EPA made boat builders change from polyester resin to epoxy resins and they hadn't had any experience with epoxy and yea, some builders had real problems. "

What? the EPA did not make boat builders start building with epoxy nor did most builders do that. Most production boats are still built using polyester resins. Some have gone to closed molding (vacuum infusion) but most still open mold just like they have been for years. So this statement is pretty much false.

True the EPA is cracking down on VOCs but they have never told builders not to use polyester, many builders will use vinyl-ester for bottom coats but polyester is still the most cost effective resin to use.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 04:47   #85
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
And just where was the hull leaking from?

I would guess the "hull" never hit anything, just the keel. Takes a pretty good grounding to knock a keel so hard that it cause a hull to leak.

Sounds like less of a boat problem and more of an idiot problem.

To some extent it may just be a numbers issue and not a Hunter problem. Where I am there are a lot of Hunters, so you'll see more of them on the water -- and in the yards.

You'll see more Chevvys in auto shops than Ferarries, also. There's just a lot more Chevvys out there, especially in the US.
Old 27-01-2012, 14:00   #86

Boat: challenger 32,
hunter IS not offshore boat however I did deliver a h42 from saf franciscoto peral harbor Do Not take hunters offshore
ussvdharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 14:13   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Makes the Hunter a Coastal Cruiser ?

A coastal Skipper.....??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 06:11   #88
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A coastal Skipper.....??

Old 29-01-2012, 16:11   #89

For many years I was a competitive shooter. I was innvolved in a sport known as Sporting Clays. It is quite big in Europe and getting stronger here. I began with an old shotgun I had in the closet and very quickly I found myslef shooting against some of the best in the world.

Naturally at this point I was in contention often for trophies and I just knew that if I bought a better shotgun I could really make it happen. At the National Championship I paid $11,000 for a great handmade Baretta.

My scores dropped at first and I put it down to the change over. The scores came back a bit but never where they were. Needless to say I went back to an earlier gun very quickly and got right back in the mix. A friend of mine heard me lamenting and said, "it's not the arrow but the Indian behind it."

Boats like Hunters or the most expensive are the same in the hands of an experienced Captain. They all pass guidelines and in the hands of a good captain will perform well. We are all too caught up in branding. A price tag connotes little other than fit and finish. Just today i passed a 50 foot plus yacht grounded and surrounded by tow boats. No doubt that fellow paid close to $500,000 for the boat but it was in bad hands.

Buy a good solid boat and put some money into sailing lessons and perhaps chartering a racer with full crew and learn what it is that makes a good sailor. Your "cheap" boat will then be captained by a crew that understands her and can get the most out of her without jeopardy. Keep in mind that every sailor who has laid out his money for his boat has the best boat.

Micromanaging the sailing experience is like checking the wind effects on a dumptruck. It just doesn't matter unless you are bumping heads with the Ted Turner types. Go sail and enjoy.
jconnor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 22:05   #90

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

J Conner, thats just not true. I'min the boat refit/ repair business and believe me not all boats are created equal. You could have a totally experianced crew, but if the deck to hull just is seperating there isn't to much the captain to do. Swan/ Oyster/ Hinkley you don't really think you cab compare a Hunter to these do ya? One is built like a brick **** house and the other is like a snap together model with no testors glue needed. Pull a through hull valve out and check the glass thickness on a Hunter compared to the Hinkley. Not even close. You get what you pay for. Just like a Marvin window or an Anderson. One is just better.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter