Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2009, 08:32   #46

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
Happy that I can be at all helpful.

Love the Bristol 38.8. It is exactly the same boat, with just few differences. It does not have the second private stateroom (the aft qtr cabin). To me, that is very valuable.

The Bristol is gorgeous, to be sure, especially in dark blue, however that comes at a price. It is significantly more money than the Wauquiez. It also has some deck structures that make working on deck offshore not nearly as easy and safe as the long flat decks of the Wauquiez. I think the Bristol also has an all around cap rail....beautiful....but you could not pay me to do that teak every year. For pleasure sailing in New England, those should not be issues. For offshore, cruising, trips to more southern lattitudes, I would take the Wauq hands down (in fact, I did )

Either way, you cannot go wrong with a Ted Hood design. All of them are brilliant.

Best

John
s/v Invictus
Old 28-12-2009, 09:41   #47

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38 38'
Hood 38 Asyum Pics

These are some pictures of the layout of the Asyum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rum keg.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	12184   Click image for larger version

Name:	rum keg 6.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	12185  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rum keg 2.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	12186  
Stephen Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 17:04   #48
vee

Re: Wauquiez Hood 38

cant chime in about but Ive got a chance 37 love it , sails awesomw
vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 14:02   #49

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drake View Post
Cutter rig....no...you would not wish to make these boats cutter rigged, they are sloops and designed to be sloops. Much better to make the boat Solent rigged....that would be EASY on these boats, and is a great rig for cruising. She has two jib halyards at the masthead. Nice.
John
s/v Invictus
Well, here's a cutter rigged Bristol 38.8. They don't appear to have repositioned the mast, so she could be sailed as a sloop. Is that what you would do (and keep the staystail stay as a removable inner forestay)? This particular boat has beefy running backstays as well.

IMHO her aesthetics are fine as a cutter. Do you think she would not sail as well as a cutter?

Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:46   #50

My HOOD 38 is a sloop rig and I recommend that you keep a hood 38 a sloop. for ease of handling roller furling is the best solution. If you are concearned with high wind or breaking seas then purchase a Yankee for open water.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:07   #51

I dont think many modern "cutter" rigs actually have the mast repositioned to the traditional cutter location... like a bristal channel cutter with a long bowsprit etc.
My friends did a solent rig and it's a great way to go...
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 13:13   #52

I am moving to the Stuart area in a year or so can you give me some information on where to dock our HOOD 38
Thank you Steve Hicks
Old 09-06-2011, 17:44   #53

There was no relocation of the mast in the 38.8 cutter pictured above. It is what they call a "slutter" rig. I might not sail a 38.8 as a cutter, but I would always want a removable inner forestay if going offshore. Staysails are useful things when the wind pipes up.
Old 27-09-2011, 19:45   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Hi I am considering a 38,What about the propanr locker,how big a tank can you carry?My intentions are only off shore sailing passagemaking.Any other comments are welcome.By the way do you know construction method cored or uncored hull,what is the deck cored with?Is the keel bolted on?and so forth Thank you Dave
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 06:10   #55

Boat: wauquiez

Hello dave, for all HOOD 38 delivered in USA the locker gaz was conformed to the regulation , 1 bottle is enough for a crew
Deck : fiber glass + balsa , in the large flats parts
Keel : no bolted , the 2 parts in cast iron are putted inside and included into the fiberglass , absolute watertightness
During more than 40 years I had worked into the wauquiez ship yard in FRANCE with HENRY WAUQUIEZ .
If you need notices , plans , files documents , I can send you that I ask 60 euro for package .
I also can provide spare parts . REGARDS , david merlot
david merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 06:11   #56

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

Hi Dave

The Hood 38 was built in two forms, the MKI and MKII. The MKI was the earlier form and I cannot comment on how the propane locker might be set up. In my MKII, the locker is a proper ABYC locker that is sealed and has an overboard discharge. It is big enough to hold two 10lb tanks, depending on the tanks (long skinny, short fat...there are a couple different types).

The locker is its own unit, bolted into the starboard cockpit locker. You could easily change it to another one that would hold larger tanks. Should be no issue at all. Many boat stores have propane lockers that you could replace the original with, if you wanted more storage. Plenty of space in the cockpit locker to put in a larger propane locker, if you wished to.

All hulls were solid glass, very strong. No problems with blisters.

Keels are part of the hull, not bolt on and are filled with lead ballast.

You can read about the deck construction in Practical Boat Buyer. It is very good. 4 inch squares of end grain balsa were dipped in resin and then laid down and glassed in. Thus, any water intrusion could only go so far.

All models could be had with teak decks or not. The deck on Invictus is glass and was never a teak deck. To my knowledge, no one has had any issues with their teak decks.

AND....best place to stay in Stuart would be Sunset Bay Marina.

Hope this helps

best

John
Old 28-09-2011, 06:56   #57

My Bristol 38.8 also has a properly vented propane locker with two 10 lb. tanks. I've added a pressure gauge. Hull is solid fiberglass, keel is integral lead (9,000 lbs.), no bolts. The deck is balsa cored. Centerboard is fiberglass with bronze sheaves and a dynema pennant. The rudder is a little different than the Wauquiez version, but other than that it's the same hull.

Go here for full specs:
http://bristolowners.org/388/388Brochure.pdf
Old 04-04-2013, 03:04   #58

Boat: null at this moment (only a dinghy)

Hello everyone, I am from Venice and I need your help. I am fascinated by Hood but my budget seems too small. In Italy and France there are 2 or 3 Hood for sale.
I ask you what would be a correct price for Hood MK I 1981, in good condition but the original engine?
The prices offered are around 65,000 Euros.
Is that price correct? Is this model easily resalable?
Can you give me your feedback?
Thank you very much!!
Best regards.

Cesare
Nemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:23   #59

Cesare I have a 1985 Hood 38 and it just appraised for 90-100k us I an=m the orignal owner and have the orignal motor as well. I dont know how resellable the boat is but it is rated as one of the best boats of it's type. we have raced it since 1986 and have done well. We have also have spent a month each year cruising and now are moving her to south florida to cruise and race for extended periods
Old 04-04-2013, 03:37   #60

Boat: null at this moment (only a dinghy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hicks View Post
Cesare I have a 1985 Hood 38 and it just appraised for 90-100k us I an=m the orignal owner and have the orignal motor as well. I dont know how resellable the boat is but it is rated as one of the best boats of it's type. we have raced it since 1986 and have done well. We have also have spent a month each year cruising and now are moving her to south florida to cruise and race for extended periods
Thanks you Stephen, I totally agree with your appreciation towards the boat.
For this reason I am trying to buy one!
At this time in Italy the prices of used boat are lowered a lot, just as in France and Greece, perhaps for crisis.
How long time could you spend to sell your boat at the price you have indicated?
In italy to sell a boat, also an Hallberg Rassy, it takes a few years ...
An wauquiez pretorien has been sold at 15.000 euros!!!: Banghead:
Nemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood