Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 17:42   #1

Boat: Admiral 32 , 33' , Vagans
Hood SeaFurl Question

I recently upgraded my Hood 810 furler to an 800SL single line furler. The instructions said to have twice the lenght of the boat in furling line. I have about 15 to 20 feet of furling line lying in the cockpit. Is it ok for me to shorten the furling line? Question number two, How much line do I need in the drive unit when the line is fully extended?

Thanks & fairwinds,
Matt
Old 08-04-2006, 23:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
You start off with extending the sail fully out. Leave a minimum of 3 turns and preferabley 5 turns left on the drum. Now furl the sail right in. You need to have the sail wrap fully and once again a minimum of three turns of line around the sail as well, so as it holds it in. Then cut the cockpit end of the line to suit your needs.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:04   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
To add to what Wheels suggests I like about 5 extra feet when the sail is all the way out and the bitter end secure so I have enough to grab on and don't end up with a short stub that is easy to flop overboard. It lets me put the line some place and expect to find it there later. I also add a big stopper knot so it can't run out the furling blocks in case it gets loose.

Last advice - never use a winch to pull the furling line in. Some times it is tempting to do so and most always a bad idea.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Glad you said that Paul. I was thinking maybe I should fit a winch to aid the furling line. So that's not a good idea Huh?

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 14:04   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Bad idea to winch the furling line. It's not a large line for a reason. A winch is more force than you should need to use.

The extra force of a winch is not in the direction that is best suited to the forestay. The forestay is very strong in tension (supporting the mast) but not well suited to large perpendicular shear forces (your winch pulling the furling line) all at the same time.

Your winch can make a great deal of force many times greater than a very strong human can pull. When sheeting in a jib strong this might be thousands of pounds of force.

Your jib sheet is larger than your furling line for a reason and you are using the same mechanical advantage on a line that isn't near as strong and concentrates all your effort in a shear direction at low point of the forestay. Meanwhile the wind is pulling on the forestay to hold the mast too. You have just too many large forces in multiple directions to avoid a serious problem.

Head up wind when it's too hard to pull by hand. When it luffs you'll be able to pull it in as required. You'll treat your rig and gear more gently doing so.

I had a halyard wrap at the top of the mast, then break, and unlay the top of the forestay (9/32 in cable) so it looked like a cork screw doing this very thing. I'm pretty good on a winch .

I'm telling you is a bad thing to do because I found out why in a big way! The forestay didn't break (was replaced later). Your winch is far stronger than you realize.
Old 09-04-2006, 18:33   #6

Boat: Admiral 32 , 33' , Vagans
Great Info Paul and Allen, I am glad to hear about the winch I thought about using one on my old 810 furler, Good thing I upgraded.

I cored the furling line about 20 feet from the drum. I will be adding Fairlead blocks to ge tthe 90 degree angle for the exit of the line from the drum. What type of blocks Should I use?

Thanks,

matt
Old 09-04-2006, 20:19   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think any are better than another. Get a good lead and it should be fine. Right now I find Schaffer to be cheaper. Some times it is OK to save money. Shop for what seems like a good deal.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:41   #8

Boat: SV Tin Cup
I learned something new today already and it is only 0747 local time. I just changed the furling line to a smaller diameter in order to facilitate getting a full furl before I get a full drum. But I did not realize the adverse consequences of using a winch to furl this line. Thanks Paul. Heading out in a few hours so we will put the advice to good use. Have a great day.
Cheers,
Roger Rippy
Aboard SV Tin Cup
Rippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 18:56   #9
cruiser

Furlers

Drastically increasing the size of the drum on my furler gave me a huge increase in power when furling in tradewind squalls. I built my furler in a day for $80 worth of matetrials. My book tells how to build one. It has only one moving part , and is as simple and reliable as you can get.
Brent
brentswain38@yahoo.ca
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 11:38   #10

Boat: Pearson 10M
Furlers

Hi All,

Thanks for the great information in the post. After coming back from a sail to Angel's Island in the SF Bay yesterday I found that my son had (using a winch) tightened the furling line too tight. When I loosend it I found that it was pulled in the direction perpendicular to the firestay to the extent that it has pulled the forestay and I could see the same move and go back to normal as I lossened it! I have learnt my lesson and the information on this post helps confirm my suspicion that we should not be using the winch for this purpose.

On a separate note, I had a different kind of a problem, that infact prompted my son to use the winch (incorrectly so). Last week we had changed from a 85% jib to a 165% jib and obviously the furling line was too short and the jib would not unfurl fully as the drum got filled while pulling the jib sheets (by hand!). Also unfortunatley the line got stuck in between the opening of the drum. I had to turn into the wind and go forward to release it which is when I suspect my son used the winch.

Based on the valuable information in this thread I can arrive at the length of the furling line I need. However what size line should I use? I know that depends on the size of the drum but can anyone provide some minimum line size guidlines? Also is there a way to calculate how much of a specific size line will a drum of a specific size hold? I think I have a Hood Seafurl, but I am not sure as all markings are faded. I have a Pearson 10M hull#43.

Appreciate any help and guidance before I go buy the furling line. Thanks.

Mahendra
msoneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 12:23   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
However what size line should I use?
Without knowing how large your boat is it's not exact. Look at the size of the line you have now, how full is the drum? Since you probably are close to the right length you can decide if one size larger would be OK. You should be able to pull it in with the size you already have. maybe one size bigger would make it feel better your hand.
Old 02-04-2008, 15:24   #12

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
Ok, looking for an answer here. Have a Hood Seafurl on my boat, and the line needs replacing. How does one get the old one out (besides just cutting it flush) and replace the current one? I dont see any access holes, so I am guessing i am missing something here.

Thanks.

PS most likely mid 80s version on a 52 Irwin.
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 16:15   #13

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
I recently felt that I needed more power to furl my headsail and considered a small winch but, luckily, avoided it and mounted a rope clutch instead (mounted vertically against the cockpit coaming). With the clutch half engaged (line in ok, none let out) I can apply pulling power without concern of "loosing" any of it before I could get it secure on a standard cleat.
Works well for me.
Old 02-04-2008, 16:27   #14

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
My Hood Furler has a continuous line so no matter how large the genny, it will roll in or out. It may be possible to get one for yours, check with Hood for your model.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:16   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Hood Yacht Systems (div. of Pompanette):
Goto: Pompanette LLC.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood