Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 04:26   #61

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38 38'
Re: Wauquiez Hood 38

I think 6 months to 1 year would be a reasonable amount of time. A pretorien is not a fair comparrison as the quality and strengths are no where compariable. Best of luck if you want to know more about this designe I will tell you what I know
Stephen Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:38   #62

Boat: null at this moment (only a dinghy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hicks View Post
I think 6 months to 1 year would be a reasonable amount of time. A pretorien is not a fair comparrison as the quality and strengths are no where compariable. Best of luck if you want to know more about this designe I will tell you what I know
Thanks Stefano for your time. I look forward to any information needed to understand this special model of wauquiez.

Thanks you very much!

Cesare
Nemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:08   #63

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo65 View Post
Hello everyone, I am from Venice and I need your help. I am fascinated by Hood but my budget seems too small. In Italy and France there are 2 or 3 Hood for sale.
I ask you what would be a correct price for Hood MK I 1981, in good condition but the original engine?
The prices offered are around 65,000 Euros.
Is that price correct? Is this model easily resalable?
Can you give me your feedback?
Thank you very much!!
Best regards.

Cesare
IMHO That's too much money for a Mark I with the Swan style companionway. It probably has teak decks too, which also lowers the price.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:10   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Huh??

Could you please elaborate on your quality statement? These boats were built side-by side on the same factory floor, as far as I know. David Merlot could comment, as he was on that the floor when many were built.

If a Pretorien sold for 15,000 euros, it most likely was in poor condition.

Chirs

Quote:
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:22   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Huh??

Could you please elaborate on your quality statement? These boats were built side-by side on the same factory floor, as far as I know. David Merlot could comment, as he was on that the floor when many were built.

If a Pretorien sold for 15,000 euros, it most likely was in poor condition.

Chirs
I confirm, the pretorien was abandoned but not destroyed!
In Italy is sold by 25 to 35 k Euro.

hello
Old 04-04-2013, 15:45   #66
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
Funny you say that because we had two Wauquiez in the family, a Pretorian and a Centurion 49. The build quality on both was nearly identical. I have been aboard more than a few Hood 38s and felt the boat was built differently then the P35 and C49 that I was familiar with, e.g. with less stringers and structural supports. But they were early mark I models and that was a while ago, so I might be wrong. Either way Wauquiez makes an amazing boat.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 13:01   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
Funny you say that because we had two Wauquiez in the family, a Pretorian and a Centurion 49. The build quality on both was nearly identical. I have been aboard more than a few Hood 38s and felt the boat was built differently then the P35 and C49 that I was familiar with, e.g. with less stringers and structural supports. But they were early mark I models and that was a while ago, so I might be wrong. Either way Wauquiez makes an amazing boat.
Hello sailor friends, I think Stephen meant to observe that Wauquiez realized a ruggedized solution different and unique for each different model. This seems to me to reflect reasonable and justified.

The help that i ask you is rather aimed to determine a fair price for a Hood of the 1982 version mark 1.

If you have experience I would like also to understand the vocation of hood 38 with respect to the Centurion 38.

This is because the maintenance of the mobile keel worries me.

Thank you all and good wind!
Old 05-04-2013, 13:19   #68

How many hours on the engine? Does it have teak decks? What is the condition of the exterior teak? What is the condition of the interior, in particular the woodwork, cabin sole and upholstery? What electronics does it have?

It's hard to determine a fair price without these items of information.

As for the centerboard, what material did Wauquiez use for the pennant (the line that raises and lowers the board)? What material was used for the shivs (the wheels through which the pennant runs from the centerboard up to the winch that raises or lowers it)?

If the line is dynema and the shivs are bronze, then the system should be fairly trouble-free.
Old 05-04-2013, 13:32   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
How many hours on the engine? Does it have teak decks? What is the condition of the exterior teak? What is the condition of the interior, in particular the woodwork, cabin sole and upholstery? What electronics does it have?

It's hard to determine a fair price without these items of information.

As for the centerboard, what material did Wauquiez use for the pennant (the line that raises and lowers the board)? What material was used for the shivs (the wheels through which the pennant runs from the centerboard up to the winch that raises or lowers it)?

If the line is dynema and the shivs are bronze, then the system should be fairly trouble-free.
The engine has 300 h post remake on 2005, no teak on the deck, general good conditions. I do not know about centerboard. Good sails 2004.
Old 05-04-2013, 13:41   #70

I think it's also difficult to price a boat in the EU vs the US, particularly for a European-made boat. It's a supply and demand kind of thing.

For a 20 year old boat, the condition is the most critical factor in pricing it, and details matter.

You can look at Yacht world for an asking price comparison, but be aware that asking prices aren't the same as what they sell for.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 13:41   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, here's a cutter rigged Bristol 38.8. They don't appear to have repositioned the mast, so she could be sailed as a sloop. Is that what you would do (and keep the staystail stay as a removable inner forestay)? This particular boat has beefy running backstays as well.

IMHO her aesthetics are fine as a cutter. Do you think she would not sail as well as a cutter?

I suspect the 38.8 as a sloop has the same issue I encounter on the 31.1. The jib is comparatively large, compared to the main. This leaves you with a quandary in higher winds : I have reduced the main area by reefing, how do I reduce the jib to match, which maintaining it's shape?

The cutter rig is a good solution as you would run with the staysail only with deep reefed main.

You often see 31.1s, 35.5s, and 38.8s that were sloops but have had an inner forestay for a storm jib added, for the same reasons.

In other words, I think they'd all make brilliant cutters - but I'd use one jib at a time, big one for light airs, staysail for heavy - but not both at the same time.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 16:30   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I think it's also difficult to price a boat in the EU vs the US, particularly for a European-made boat. It's a supply and demand kind of thing.

For a 20 year old boat, the condition is the most critical factor in pricing it, and details matter.

You can look at Yacht world for an asking price comparison, but be aware that asking prices aren't the same as what they sell for.
It's a 31 year-old boat if it's a 1982 model.
I will say that the Hood 38 is a great design that will literally sail itself to weather with the board down and the sails trimmed properly.
I don't like the Swan style companionway, so I'd look for a Mark II.

Who knows abot pricing? In the U.S. I would expect a Mark I in reasonable condition to be listed around $90K and to sell for around $75-80K (US).
Old 07-07-2013, 16:34   #73

anyone has had electrolosis on the centerboard plate ? - I will be replacing it for the 3 rd time over the last 25 years I have own my 84 hood mk 2 .jimonelle
jimonelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:35   #74

Boat: wauquiez

Hello , oui je connais ce probleme ; il y a trois nuances inox , le tube , le cable, et la soudure . Tout doit etre demonte pour reparer . Je pourrai envoyer un plan sur mail personnel . Où est votre bateau? Je suis venu à Marblehead en 1984 pour livrer des wauquiez cordialement , david merlot
david merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 15:38   #75

Hi David thanks for the reply -yes please send me the plans of the centerbourd apparatus , my address Jim Tuschen 1314 Evelyn st. Rockford Il 61103 U.S.A. jimonelle
jimonelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood